Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a couple of weeks ago, and seems to come and go as it pleases.
My research is pulling up inconclusive information that it's the catalytic converters or an O2 sensor.

Vehicle is my 2006 Charger R/T R&T; 204k miles

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
AK:
At 200+K, I would bet you are due for an 02 sensor or two. You could have a converter on the way out, but the sensors are easier and more likely.

Don

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Problem could be an exhaust leak, an aging O2 sensor or the catalytic converter. P0420 is a Bank-1 diagnostic code, so the problem is on the driver side.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AK:
At 200+K, I would bet you are due for an 02 sensor or two. You could have a converter on the way out, but the sensors are easier and more likely.

Don
Thank you Don! Should I plan to replace upstream or downstream on the driver side?

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
At that mileage, I would replace both. Do it once, and do it right. When it comes to things like 02 sensors, water pumps, fuel pumps, T stats, I prefer oem. Some vehicles are finicky about such things. Dodge has been known to be.

Don

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
What N8ECH said ... "replace both". A new rear O2 Sensor along with an aging front O2 Sensor can cause a P0420 diagnostic code. It's best with any sensors to use the OEM Mopar parts.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good deal.
One last question due to my ignorance when it comes to this type of issue..does the Mopar O2 sensor work for both banks as well as upstream and downstream?

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
AK:
I would think that both upstream might be the same, and the same for the lowers. You will want to make sure though. Sometimes, they get silly and have 4 different ones despite what common sense might dictate. Try looking them up on a site like Rockauto.com.

Don

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AK:
I would think that both upstream might be the same, and the same for the lowers. You will want to make sure though. Sometimes, they get silly and have 4 different ones despite what common sense might dictate. Try looking them up on a site like Rockauto.com.

Don
So I ordered and replaced both sensors on bank 1. Sensor 1 was a PITA to get the right angle for but got both replaced and pulled fuse #11 to reset the CEL. Drove a half day and the CEL came back on, showing the same code as before. I'm frustrated at this point but let me know what I need to do next.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I ordered and replaced both sensors on bank 1. Sensor 1 was a PITA to get the right angle for but got both replaced and pulled fuse #11 to reset the CEL. Drove a half day and the CEL came back on, showing the same code as before. I'm frustrated at this point but let me know what I need to do next.
If you've replaced both sensors with OEM sensors, not Bosch ones, then the only thing that could be causing it is the catalytic converter.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
What Punisher69 said ... plus ... check for exhaust leaks from the exhaust manifold to the downstream O2 sensor and check the condition of the wiring harness/connectors from the PCM to the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To link into this thread, I've also researched simply removing the catalytic converters. I'm not looking for any power increase or really any sort of other performance modifications, but it's simply cheaper than replacing the two.
What kind of "mid-pipes" are suggested and what is a "mil code eliminator"? It's obviously something that bypasses the sensor but is it affordable and easy to install..and so forth...

Thank you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
To link into this thread, I've also researched simply removing the catalytic converters. I'm not looking for any power increase or really any sort of other performance modifications, but it's simply cheaper than replacing the two.
What kind of "mid-pipes" are suggested and what is a "mil code eliminator"? It's obviously something that bypasses the sensor but is it affordable and easy to install..and so forth...

Thank you!
It's a non-fouler that pulls your rear O2 sensors out of the exhaust flow, supposedly keeping the CEL off. I don't have cats, but my rear sensors are turned off in my tune.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a non-fouler that pulls your rear O2 sensors out of the exhaust flow, supposedly keeping the CEL off. I don't have cats, but my rear sensors are turned off in my tune.

So where should I look for mid-pipes to install in place of the cats?

·
Registered
46 Posts
So where should I look for mid-pipes to install in place of the cats?
Honestly, if it was mine and I wasn't modding for power, I'd get a couple of universal cats from Summit and have a muffler shop weld them in or just have the muffler shop supply the cats and do it that way. Either way is way cheaper than buying OEM mids with cats.

If you remove the cats (which you could have the shop do just by cutting them out and replacing them with pipe for way cheaper than buying cats) it's going to stink ( I mean eyes burning from the fuel stink), your tips are going to go black, you'll need the rear O2's turned off with a tune and it's going to be LOUD.

Do you do a lot of in town/ city driving with it?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, if it was mine and I wasn't modding for power, I'd get a couple of universal cats from Summit and have a muffler shop weld them in or just have the muffler shop supply the cats and do it that way. Either way is way cheaper than buying OEM mids with cats.

If you remove the cats (which you could have the shop do just by cutting them out and replacing them with pipe for way cheaper than buying cats) it's going to stink ( I mean eyes burning from the fuel stink), your tips are going to go black, you'll need the rear O2's turned off with a tune and it's going to be LOUD.

Do you do a lot of in town/ city driving with it?

I live outside the city but it's my everyday driver too.
The thought crossed my mind of keeping both cats in place, as-is, and just getting a MIL eliminator for the driver side that's throwing the code right now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
To rule out the sensors, you can read live data and watching the voltage switching. Slow switching compared to others may indicate bad sensor. If not, You could always just get some sparkplug non-foulers, drilled them out and install them on the rear O2 sensors. Old trick to make them see less exhaust and read things are fine. Results may vary.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To rule out the sensors, you can read live data and watching the voltage switching. Slow switching compared to others may indicate bad sensor. If not, You could always just get some sparkplug non-foulers, drilled them out and install them on the rear O2 sensors. Old trick to make them see less exhaust and read things are fine. Results may vary.
Sensors are new..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts