Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a couple of weeks ago, and seems to come and go as it pleases.
My research is pulling up inconclusive information that it's the catalytic converters or an O2 sensor.

Vehicle is my 2006 Charger R/T R&T; 204k miles

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
AK:
At 200+K, I would bet you are due for an 02 sensor or two. You could have a converter on the way out, but the sensors are easier and more likely.

Don

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Problem could be an exhaust leak, an aging O2 sensor or the catalytic converter. P0420 is a Bank-1 diagnostic code, so the problem is on the driver side.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AK:
At 200+K, I would bet you are due for an 02 sensor or two. You could have a converter on the way out, but the sensors are easier and more likely.

Don
Thank you Don! Should I plan to replace upstream or downstream on the driver side?

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
At that mileage, I would replace both. Do it once, and do it right. When it comes to things like 02 sensors, water pumps, fuel pumps, T stats, I prefer oem. Some vehicles are finicky about such things. Dodge has been known to be.

Don

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
What N8ECH said ... "replace both". A new rear O2 Sensor along with an aging front O2 Sensor can cause a P0420 diagnostic code. It's best with any sensors to use the OEM Mopar parts.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good deal.
One last question due to my ignorance when it comes to this type of issue..does the Mopar O2 sensor work for both banks as well as upstream and downstream?

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
AK:
I would think that both upstream might be the same, and the same for the lowers. You will want to make sure though. Sometimes, they get silly and have 4 different ones despite what common sense might dictate. Try looking them up on a site like Rockauto.com.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts