Charger Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
tlrpunk said:

I have often said the break in period is from the driveway to the first freeway on ramp, don't baby the engine but don't thrash it either. It does take longer than the first 20 miles to break it in but it is definetly accomplished in the first 500. Make sure you use the WOT as prescribed in the manual to exert the most amount of pressure in the cylinder. The website for Moto Tune USA is geared motorcycles

Here is a differing view from another site, again pertaining to motorcycles:

"Yes there are professional tuners out there that recommend that you flog the hell out of the bike right from the start to instantly seat the rings etc & yes I will admit that those bikes have in many cases produced a little more peak horsepower initially, but what everyone fails to realize is that those professional race tuners are going to end up rebuilding that motor at least once if not twice a season (sometimes more often than that) & they don't care if engine wear is accelerated or not. Most of us want a reliable good performing motor & my break-in procedures will give you that. I've been doing this for many years & living in Memphis have seen many bikes bought in the afternoon & being dragraced that evening & they always end up smoking within about 1500 miles.

The aviation industry has without a doubt the most explicit & detailed break-in procedures for internal combustion motors. The reason for this is that they MUST be reliable as an engine failure in the air has the potential to be alot more dangerous than an engine failure on the ground. Their engine break-in regimens consist of many of the exact same key elements that mine do. Heat cycles, no initial steady rpms & ever increasing rpm peaks.

One final note is that even though the engine may be broke in properly many times the transmission still takes longer. It is not uncommon for a motorcycle transmission to need 1800-2000 miles to get fully broke-in & during that time is susceptible to accelerated wear just as the motors are. You may even notice that the more miles you put on your bike the better the transmission starts to work. During break-in keep your shifts solid & smooth, use the clutch for both upshifts/downshifts & just generally be aware that all new metal parts need time to bed in properly."

Check out this site, it relates to automotive engines with a little more detail.

http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=1250

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put the first 200 miles on my Charger. My question is when you need to do your first oil change. The last new car I had a 93 Voyager needed to come in for an oil change at 1500 miles. Complimentary by the dealer and required. My dealer made no mention of this for the Charger. Should the oil be changed at a special interval the first change?

I know that engine builders use a special break in oil that needs to be run a certain amount of time which is one reason given for this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I ran mine hard right off the lot and theres NO problems! :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Sam said:
I put the first 200 miles on my Charger. My question is when you need to do your first oil change. The last new car I had a 93 Voyager needed to come in for an oil change at 1500 miles. Complimentary by the dealer and required. My dealer made no mention of this for the Charger. Should the oil be changed at a special interval the first change?

I know that engine builders use a special break in oil that needs to be run a certain amount of time which is one reason given for this.

Thanks.
My first change was 2,000+ miles. I have an oil filter and therefore any particles over a certain size will get captured by it. From the book it looks like you can go straight for the 3,000, or 6,000 mile oil change (dependant on the environment that the car is used in).

I don't think that 'runnin in' (which is what you are referring to) is used by large manufacturers in the engines of their cars they sell to the public! I believe that there is standard oil in the engine from the off.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I followed the mototune style break-in as closely as possible with the Charger. I guess time will tell as to the long term effects, but my last road trip from Denver to Las Cruces NM and back netted and average of 25 mpg. Not bad for the 5.7 with 6000 miles on the clock at high altitude. And an average of 17 in the city with a few burnouts. Coincidence? Maybe...

Like I said, time will tell.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
tlrpunk said:
I followed the mototune style break-in as closely as possible with the Charger. I guess time will tell as to the long term effects, but my last road trip from Denver to Las Cruces NM and back netted and average of 25 mpg. Not bad for the 5.7 with 6000 miles on the clock at high altitude. And an average of 17 in the city with a few burnouts. Coincidence? Maybe...

Like I said, time will tell.
It will indeed. I think it is a really good selling point IMHO. If/when this car gets sold on - I know that I can look whoever it is buying it in the eye and say that it was looked after extremely well from the dealers lot! :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good point, so the break in process seems to lose some of its value. My mechanic told me to drive it like I do in normal conditions, as long as your not running it hard at the track or leaving 4 feet of rubber behind you in first gear.
Thanks for that post!

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
724 Posts
yup another search engine reply. I wonder if our search engine can be updated or something. Seems like anytime anyone searches anything in here inlcuding myself, all the posts you get are from 5-10 years ago or more.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts