Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I just replaced my lifters to get rid of the hemi tick (it鈥檚 still there 馃槕) but I had to take everything from the manifold to the headers off. Once I replaced everything and put it back on, I turned the car back on and it starts to smoke from the side I replaced. It鈥檚 not a lot but Enough to be worried about. I also have check engine light on with my traction control stick off and flashing electrical logo coming on. Any ideas on what I could have done wrong? I didn鈥檛 replace anything but the lifters. Everything else was taken apart and put back the way I took it off. I replaced the lifters with dodge OEM lifters. I think exhaust is leaking but I鈥檓 not sure from where I didn鈥檛 replace any gaskets or seals I left them all on

Registered
The smoke is probably oil leaking down onto the exhaust manifold. When installing the valve covers (cylinder head covers) the procedure is as follows:
1, Clean cylinder head cover and both sealing surfaces. Inspect and replace gasket as necessary.
2. Install cylinder head cover and hand start all fasteners. Verify that all double ended studs are in the correct location and install ground straps. The ground straps must be installed in the same location as removed. The covers are machined to accept the ground straps in those locations only.
3. Tighten cylinder head cover bolts and double ended studs to 70 in. lbs (6 ft lbs). Begin torque sequence in the middle of head cover and torque bolts moving outward in a crisscross pattern from top to bottom.

When installing the exhaust manifold:
Clean mating surfaces on cylinder head and manifold. Wash with solvent and blow dry with compressed air. Install the manifold gasket and manifold. Install manifold bolts and tighten to 18 ft. lbs.

The check engine light and flashing lighting bolt are probably for the throttle body. Check the wiring harness/connector to the throttle body and the engine ground strap that's connected to the engine head cover. When removing the electrical connections, did you disconnect the main battery negative cable before disconnecting the electrical connections? If not you may have several diagnostic service codes logged. Plug a scanner into the car's OBD2 port and clear all codes. Then check to see if any new codes are logged. Sometime a ETC Relearn (ETC = electronic throttle control) is needed after disconnecting/connecting the electrical connection to the throttle body. The dealership uses a diagnostic tool to perform ETC Relearn, You can try the following procedure to see if it works for you.

ETC Relearn:
1) Push start button to "Run" (older models insert ignition key and turn to "On") ... but do not start engine.
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold for 10 seconds.
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Wait 10 seconds and turn ignition "Off"
6) Start the engine.

Without the diagnostic tool the 10 seconds hold/wait time is an estimate. The diagnostic tool tells you how long to hold and wait but it typically is within 10 seconds.

Reactions: Joebiker

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The smoke is probably oil leaking down onto the exhaust manifold. When installing the valve covers (cylinder head covers) the procedure is as follows:
1, Clean cylinder head cover and both sealing surfaces. Inspect and replace gasket as necessary.
2. Install cylinder head cover and hand start all fasteners. Verify that all double ended studs are in the correct location and install ground straps. The ground straps must be installed in the same location as removed. The covers are machined to accept the ground straps in those locations only.
3. Tighten cylinder head cover bolts and double ended studs to 70 in. lbs (6 ft lbs). Begin torque sequence in the middle of head cover and torque bolts moving outward in a crisscross pattern from top to bottom.

When installing the exhaust manifold:
Clean mating surfaces on cylinder head and manifold. Wash with solvent and blow dry with compressed air. Install the manifold gasket and manifold. Install manifold bolts and tighten to 18 ft. lbs.

The check engine light and flashing lighting bolt are probably for the throttle body. Check the wiring harness/connector to the throttle body and the engine ground strap that's connected to the engine head cover. When removing the electrical connections, did you disconnect the main battery negative cable before disconnecting the electrical connections? If not you may have several diagnostic service codes logged. Plug a scanner into the car's OBD2 port and clear all codes. Then check to see if any new codes are logged. Sometime a ETC Relearn (ETC = electronic throttle control) is needed after disconnecting/connecting the electrical connection to the throttle body. The dealership uses a diagnostic tool to perform ETC Relearn, You can try the following procedure to see if it works for you.

ETC Relearn:
1) Push start button to "Run" (older models insert ignition key and turn to "On") ... but do not start engine.
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold for 10 seconds.
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Wait 10 seconds and turn ignition "Off"
6) Start the engine.

Without the diagnostic tool the 10 seconds hold/wait time is an estimate. The diagnostic tool tells you how long to hold and wait but it typically is within 10 seconds.
Thanks for the response man!I didn鈥檛 wanna mess anything else up so i took it to my mechanic. He found a few senders were off and he said a seal must have been broke for it to be leaking exhaust. Gonna try to fix that later on. Hopefully it goes smooth

Premium Member
Seth:
How many miles, and what year is your Charger? X 2 on it being likely you have an oil leak somewhere. Valve covers would be my first thought as well. You mention not replacing any gaskets. I hope you replaced the head gaskets. They are single use, and a major error if you did not.

Don

Registered
So recently I just replaced my lifters to get rid of the hemi tick (it鈥檚 still there )
How did the pushrods look? I read a post where a guy had a tick and thought it was a lifter but found out some of the pushrods were bent. He installed all new pushrods that were also slightly longer than OEM and that must have taken up all the slop in the valvetrain because no more tick.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts