Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Tuesday I took my car in for its 10,000km oil change and tire rotation.

I pick the car up mid-afternoon and as I'm driving back to my office I see smoke coming out from under the hood, and I can smell burning oil. I get to my office and pop the hood and was surprised (and more than a little pi55ed off) to see the entire engine bay covered in oil.

As any of you have who have seen pics of my car will know, I keep that engine bay sparkling clean. I couldn't believe the mess! Oil all over the engine cover, CAI, and fuse box.

So it's been a few days, but I can still smell burning oil when I turn the heat on inside the the car. Plus it's still a mess.

How can I go about cleaning this??? It's driving me CRAZY :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

As an aside, I was super busy at work this week due to an external audit, during which my senior accounting clerk decided to call in sick for two days :fuming: so I forgot to call the dealer and complain. Well Thursday night they did a customer service follow-up call, and I was very clear about my displeasure. No word back from them yet (and I doubt I will).

Any suggestions on how to clean this mess up would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-=FLEX=-

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Ouch. A couple things to think about. The first is to find out where the oil is coming from. Is the filler cap loose (or missing)? Is it really a LOT of oil or just a little making a big mess? Might need to check your oil level if it's really a lot.

As for cleaning, there are a few threads about general engine cleaning. Simple green or foaming tire cleaner on a cold engine come to mind, followed by rinsing from a garden hose, the towel dry and run the engine a bit to fully dry. Depending on how baked the oil got, I don't know how successful either of these will be but you'll get the majority off and get a good idea of what else there is. Do NOT use a steam cleaner as it can damage electrical connectors.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I'd go back to the dealer and have them clean up the mess to your satisfaction. :smoke:

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ouch. A couple things to think about. The first is to find out where the oil is coming from. Is the filler cap loose (or missing)? Is it really a LOT of oil or just a little making a big mess? Might need to check your oil level if it's really a lot.

As for cleaning, there are a few threads about general engine cleaning. Simple green or foaming tire cleaner on a cold engine come to mind, followed by rinsing from a garden hose, the towel dry and run the engine a bit to fully dry. Depending on how baked the oil got, I don't know how successful either of these will be but you'll get the majority off and get a good idea of what else there is. Do NOT use a steam cleaner as it can damage electrical connectors.
Thanks. I was thinking about the level. I will check that as well. I don't think it's leaking. I just think they spilled it when they filled the oil back up. I dunno if they use one of those guns, or if they just pour it in litre by litre. Either way they should be ashamed to return a customer's car like that...especially since it was in pristine condition when I dropped it off.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd go back to the dealer and have them clean up the mess to your satisfaction. :smoke:
I kinda figured that would have been the result of the conversation I had with customer service. I guess not. Seems in retrospect that their follow-up calls are pointless: Customer not happy? Oh well, on to the next call.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Personally, although I agree with the concept of people cleaning up their own messes, I don't know that I'd trust the dealership to clean my car. Especially if they screwed up like this and didn't care to take care of it the first time.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Personally, although I agree with the concept of people cleaning up their own messes, I don't know that I'd trust the dealership to clean my car. Especially if they screwed up like this and didn't care to take care of it the first time.
You're right; have it professionally cleaned, and send them a bill, including your time. :smoke:

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right; have it professionally cleaned, and send them a bill, including your time. :smoke:
Excellent idea!

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are NOT going to believe this!!!!!

So I take the Charger to the coin-op power wash today, clean her up all nice, and shampoo under the hood to clean up that oil.

The last thing I usually do is polish the rims, so I'm doing that...

AND I NOTICE THE DEALER DIDN'T PUT THE LOCK NUTS BACK ON BOTH PASSENGER SIDE WHEELS AFTER THEY DID THE TIRE ROTATION

WHAT'S UP WITH THESE MORONS ?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'M FUMING. ABSOLUTELY FUMING!!! :fuming: :fuming: :fuming: :fuming: :fuming:

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Jeez - that kinda takes the biscuit dude..... :monster:

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
AND I NOTICE THE DEALER DIDN'T PUT THE LOCK NUTS BACK ON BOTH PASSENGER SIDE WHEELS AFTER THEY DID THE TIRE ROTATION
OMG, I hope they didn't lose them... I feel for ya. :sick:

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts

So I take the Charger to the coin-op power wash today, clean her up all nice, and shampoo under the hood to clean up that oil.

Any chance they put 2 locks (or 3) on one wheel?

Oh, and I'd be looking for a new service department about now.....

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any chance they put 2 locks (or 3) on one wheel?

Oh, and I'd be looking for a new service department about now.....
Nope, the two wheels on the passenger side only have 4 nuts on them. The 2 missing lock nuts must be sitting on the service dept. floor. Normally I would have noticed a lot sooner, as I usually do a little walk-around each morning and night, and sometimes even spot clean the exterior during the week, but it's been cold and rainy for the last few days...

·
Registered
13,222 Posts

What? Did they just put 4 lug nuts on each wheel? Did they put new ones on? WTF? :knockout:

It's amazing some people can remember to breathe from moment to moment. :smoke: Stupid idjits. :confused:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hmmm...sounds like you had your oil changed at Jiffy Lube huh?? j/k

BTW...still haven't had a car come back yet.

Goodluck with the dealer though...go give em hell!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What? Did they just put 4 lug nuts on each wheel? Did they put new ones on? WTF? :knockout:

It's amazing some people can remember to breathe from moment to moment. :smoke: Stupid idjits. :confused:
Yeah. I imagine that they put the 4 regular ones on and had planned on putting on the special lock nuts last, but forgot. You would think they tech would have thought to have someone call me when he realized...I mean, he should have two lock nuts still, right?

Hmmm...sounds like you had your oil changed at Jiffy Lube huh?? j/k

BTW...still haven't had a car come back yet.

Goodluck with the dealer though...go give em hell!!!
I plan to!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dealer made good. Mr Flexy is almost happy...

Just got back from the dealer.

I didn't even snap a bolt; I was calm but articulated my extreme displeasure, and they were very apologetic and understanding.

They promptly put a brand new set of lock nuts on the car, (no charge of course) and offered me a free full car detail at a time of my choosing, signed off by the Service Manager.

I guess that's about as good of an outcome as can be expected...

-=FLEX=-

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts

I didn't even snap a bolt; I was calm but articulated my extreme displeasure, and they were very apologetic and understanding.

They promptly put a brand new set of lock nuts on the car, (no charge of course) and offered me a free full car detail at a time of my choosing, signed off by the Service Manager.

-=FLEX=-
Great news. Lets hope that the incident makes them tighten up on their procedures..... :nervous s

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

-=FLEX=-
Glad they fixed that issue for you

1 - 20 of 29 Posts