Charger Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Amazing the lengths some folks will go to in order to rationalize their choices. Heh...I feel like I'm back in the old vacuum tubes vs solid state argument among audiophiles. :) People get so emotionally attached to equipment of all types. I've never really been like that so it seems odd to me.

I still have both cars, though I haven't felt the urge to start the charger since the day I brought the Tesla home. I don't think I can go back to an internal combustion engine for a daily driver. Enjoy whatever you've got. I sure am. :)

Best,

·
Registered
66 Posts
I thought the Charger forums would be the only place I'd be safe from Tesla fanboys... they've infiltrated... RUN!

Really though, I have nothing against you driving what you want. Just don't expect people to be so welcoming on a forum dedicated to big american gas guzzlers.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Really though, I have nothing against you driving what you want. Just don't expect people to be so welcoming on a forum dedicated to big american gas guzzlers.
We have a very large group of people here, from all walks (and drives) of Life. Some of us have been on this forum long after losing/gaining/trading a Charger. Kind of like a big, extended family. So sit back and enjoy the gatherings, bickerings, musings and crazy uncles! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really like the idea of the T3, I just can't get past the looks. Electric cars are going to be the norm sooner than later. This was kind of my motive to grab my Scat, it might be the last chance to drive a real muscle car with a warranty. But hey enjoy it, theyre a hoot

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Thankfully, there are folks who can buy new cars which, stimulates the economy, and give car folks like myself feedback on what owning a car like the Tesla is like. Someday, hopefully long after we are all gone, cars will probably drive themselves by decree, and all be electric or some type of hybrid. IMO, the only reason I would be for self driving cars will be when the system is advanced to the point where we can significantly reduce the 40,000 people a year that die in auto related incidents. That's roughly 4.5 people every hour on average.

That Scat of yours Ritz is just the kind of car I would be looking for if/when I put one in the garage here. Low miles, well taken care of, with some warranty left, and a good deal less than a new one.

It's a fact that aesthetics are an important part of such a large purchase. Thank goodness we all have different opinions when it comes to what looks good. Kudos to the guy/gal/group who came up with this generation of Charger! If I could afford a Bugatti Veyron, I wouldn't own one for many reasons, a big one for me would be appearance. Never mind the $21K oil changes and $30K sets of tires.

Don

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I remember that too....I think it's simply they release the reserve portion of the battery...maybe normally used in cold weather starts, or ? Believe there is some power normally consumed to pre heat the battery before getting underway...to help prolong it's overall life span..But I could be wrong..,,,,Maybe just Audio...he just cuts off the bass sound of the sub woofer...Ha!
I believe there is some built-in cushion of extra capacity similar to what flash drive manufacturers do
I thought the Charger forums would be the only place I'd be safe from Tesla fanboys... they've infiltrated... RUN!

Infiltrated? Really? Look at my join date.

Best,

·
Registered
285 Posts
In my area, I tried to look on every gas station and haven't seen one with electric charger stall. But I've seen electric charges in 2 malls and airport. But there are many Tesla cars.
Should I assume, that majority Tesla owners in the area are house owners with supercharging station?
Curious, because it seems that we do not have developed network, or I just can't recognize hidden electric charging stations.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Just must be the Charger forum, anytime I am at the track and a tesla shows up everyone flocks to the car and asks questions. Not the prettiest car IMO but not many can beat the car in the 1/4 mile. It is wicked fast and you always have control, no back end sliding back and forth.

WRT software updates I would put our UConnect into the same category, a lot of folks are having issues. Some going days without service. Subscriptions are now the norm to get quality service on software that you paid for. You own the car but the manufacturer owns the copyright to the software.

I will never get rid of the daytona, but when the time is right for a second car I will be looking at some of these hybrid cars being made with gobs of torque. (2-4 electric motors and a turbocharged engine, AWD)

On a side note, How in the heck does Microsoft get away with discontinuing old software versions and discontinuing updates on that computer you paid for? Purchase the computer used and did not get the software codes that it shipped from the factory with? Good luck getting any support from Microsoft.

Pollen is everywhere and even in the garage my black car looks like crap.

? ? End of Tuesday's quarantine rant!!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
In my area, I tried to look on every gas station and haven't seen one with electric charger stall. But I've seen electric charges in 2 malls and airport. But there are many Tesla cars.
Should I assume, that majority Tesla owners in the area are house owners with supercharging station?
Curious, because it seems that we do not have developed network, or I just can't recognize hidden electric charging stations.
Yeah, same in this area.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
In my area (N. Texas ) Shell is installing Tesla stations even though I rarely see one backed into them. Most are unused.

And companies like EVgo and ChargePoint have been installing a lot of one-offs at local businesses. On the I-44 turnpike in Oklahoma just across the Texas border, Francis energy is the main company managing the stations charging 1.00 hookup and .21 cents per minute where they have Conoco Stations. A 40 minute charge will cost over $9.

Other establishments in my immediate area, such as Nissan, Texas Road House, RV parks like Coyote Ranch and KOA, and new and older hotels are installing 1 or 2 charging outlets. Most are equipped for NEMA, J1772 and Tesla. The prices for the local EV stations range from 1.00 hookup with a per- minute fee, and a few others charge .15 cents per kwh.

I've seen a few EVs connected to 120 volt outlets in RV spots near our city park. I imagine they only do this when they need just a few more miles to get to a fast charger, or take a walk through the park trails. The city manages this particular RV site but it doesn't have EV stations so they ask EV owners to make a voluntary drop in the box for use of power outlets if not paying to spend the night.

I bet if you look hard enough you will find EV charging locations. But by far the few EV owners in my area that I've talked to rely on home charging stations, and use their EV for local use.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just must be the Charger forum, anytime I am at the track and a tesla shows up everyone flocks to the car and asks questions. Not the prettiest car IMO but not many can beat the car in the 1/4 mile. It is wicked fast and you always have control, no back end sliding back and forth.

WRT software updates I would put our UConnect into the same category, a lot of folks are having issues. Some going days without service. Subscriptions are now the norm to get quality service on software that you paid for. You own the car but the manufacturer owns the copyright to the software.

I will never get rid of the daytona, but when the time is right for a second car I will be looking at some of these hybrid cars being made with gobs of torque. (2-4 electric motors and a turbocharged engine, AWD)

On a side note, How in the heck does Microsoft get away with discontinuing old software versions and discontinuing updates on that computer you paid for? Purchase the computer used and did not get the software codes that it shipped from the factory with? Good luck getting any support from Microsoft.

Pollen is everywhere and even in the garage my black car looks like crap.

? ? End of Tuesday's quarantine rant!!!
On a related note to your side note -
Chromebooks have an End Of Life which is roughly 6.5 years from when a model was introduced. And there is no software you can buy to update it. You either use it without security updates or get rid of it. Even if properly recycled it's a waste of money & resources.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Here's the location of all the supercharger stations. Coverage is a lot better if you include charging stations at stores, employers, etc.

Best,

·
Registered
66 Posts
At 23, I will probably be driving an electric vehicle the last 3 decades of my life, assuming 100% market share by the time I turn 50 years old. Who knows, maybe it it will happen sooner than that, or maybe it will happen later. Either way, I'd rather enjoy combustion vehicles until electric vehicles are the only new cars available for sale.

@RitzRT: I was just busting your chops, with a join date of 2007 you're definitely no outsider to this forum, if anything, I am!
Congrats on the new ride. I would look into getting a Clearbra on the front bumper, as they're really susceptible to chips. Most Tesla owners have a Clearbra, or a professional ceramic coating of some sort. The area where a grille would normally be is especially exposed to chips.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,478 Posts
Congrats on the Model 3!

The lease on mine is up in July and I "hope" to be able to place an order for a Model 3 soon, although performance model is out of my $$$ range!

I have both cars for a week or so and then the Charger is going to be sold. I'll miss it, but holy schnikes.....this Tesla 3 performance is by FAR faster.

old + new

View attachment 292435

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've seen a Tesla S launch in the rain, and it wasn't even the fastest one, and it took off like a rocket.
Taking absolutely nothing away from the Tesla, but my wife's awd Infiniti takes off like a rocket in the rain. Anything does compared to a Charger. My awd R/T would grab in the rain, but would still get a little squirrely in the rear. The Infiniti doesn't slide one bit.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts