Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, I live in the sh1thole that is Brooklyn, NY... to make a long story short, I parked my car on the side of a mall and ran into pathmark for a loaf of bread (@ like 12:30)... come out and my whole passenger side window is busted up... my 80gb ipod was stolen (i had it stashed away, don't know what their initial motivation was to break in)

I called my dad (I'm 21, this is my first car... just got it on Sept. 8th) and he said to just come home and worry about it 2morrow...

But I'm a college student, and funds are kinda low... just wondering if any1 had any idea how much a DODGE DEALER would charge me to replace the passenger side window... how much would a local repair shop charge (estimate?)... Would I be able to buy the window from Dodge and have a local repair shop install it (to save money)?

Thanks in advance...

P.S.- Don't ever move to Brooklyn. I'm leaving as soon as I finish college!!!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Hey Jon. File a Police Report. That's what insurance is for. Good luck..................................................

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I agree with Tee, thats what your paying insurance for, they'll pay to replace it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Man, sorry to hear about the window...some people are just total scum bags! I guess you could contact the dealer and see how much the window and install would be and compare that with your insurance deductible to see which is cheaper. Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I don't believe auto insurance covers and contents of your car - I think you have to resort to homeowners policies to cover that stuff.

At least in Michigan, I realize auto insurance varies a lot state by state.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Definately file a police report, cause you will need this to file a claim with the insurance. Now if your deduct. is high, then you might be on your own... Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Deductibles on glass are usually around $50-100.

No......It depends on what your deductible is on comprehensive. Most people I know carry a $500 deductible. Being he is 21, he might even have it as high as $1000. Now because he had the radio stolen too, it won't be a completey out of pocket to cover everything. Those MyGigs are like what, $2200 bucks?

I'd just call a windshield repair guy up and get an estimate. They will usually come to you to do the job.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have had the same thing happened to me...they smashed in my drivers side window and stole my indash screen...i had the police come out and get prints and everything and got a report...called my insurance told them everything and gave them some incident number...idk about your insurace but i have a window breakage coverage thing, so they took care of my window no charge, and the glass guys came out to my house to repair it. no such luck on the radio though, with my $1000 deductible insurance was no help on the radio.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
No......It depends on what your deductible is on comprehensive. Most people I know carry a $500 deductible. Being he is 21, he might even have it as high as $1000. Now because he had the radio stolen too, it won't be a completey out of pocket to cover everything. Those MyGigs are like what, $2200 bucks?

I'd just call a windshield repair guy up and get an estimate. They will usually come to you to do the job.
Uh... yes? Well, maybe. I'm speaking from experience, not my rear end.

I had a windshield replaced last year with a $75 deductible. Had one replaced several years prior for $100 (different policy). Had a girlfriend whose car was broken into ~4 years ago; she paid $50.

YMMV, but no reason to count me as wrong just because it doesn't apply to you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i totally appreciate every1s input... i went to a local window repair shop and paid about $250 for the passenger side window... as for my ipod... i guess i'll have 2 shell out another 250 bucks for that... all my songs are still on my pc so that won't be an issue... im on my dads policy and i guess he didn't want me to boost his premium... i learned my lesson (the hard way) and i sure as hell wont be so careless ever again...

oh yeah... i 4got to mention i got a parking ticket earlier that day...

glad everythings taken care of... fm radio sux, but i should have a new ipod by next week, or sooner if i can get lucky on ebay :lol:

once again... thanx for everything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts