Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used to have a cavalier that had a hand brake as opposed to the foot style e brake in the charger. i was wondering if anyone has modified theirs e brake to be by the centerconsole. i know lokar makes a floor mount ebrake handle that i could modify a little to be inbetween the drivers seat and center console, but am wondering what is involved in rerouting the cable from the normal spot to the spot i wanna put the e brake.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
idk exactly what your intentions of this are, however, as per what i understand about all the jap drift cars you see on tv and the like are almost all front wheel drive cars. thus they cant swing their rear end by mashing the throttle in low gear like a rear wheel drive car(like a charger) to pull a drift manuever.

in a front wheel drive your wheels pull you. in a rwd they push. its you cant really spin your tires in a fwd car, and if you do, it doesnt cause your rear to kick out. thusly they use a hand brake to lock em up and slide, rather than spin em and slide

being that the charger is rwd, to drif you dont need a hand brake ;) you just need the noesp mod to get rid of that pesky electronic stability program which will change how much power you get to each wheel in order to keep you from swangin that back end wide.

now maybe you want it there for a completely different reason and im just running my stupid mouth about nothin ;)

as far as relocating the e-brake goes... i have no clue... hope i was helpful or informative about something rather than nothing!

·
Registered
474 Posts
idk exactly what your intentions of this are, however, as per what i understand about all the jap drift cars you see on tv and the like are almost all front wheel drive cars. thus they cant swing their rear end by mashing the throttle in low gear like a rear wheel drive car(like a charger) to pull a drift manuever.

in a front wheel drive your wheels pull you. in a rwd they push. its you cant really spin your tires in a fwd car, and if you do, it doesnt cause your rear to kick out. thusly they use a hand brake to lock em up and slide, rather than spin em and slide

being that the charger is rwd, to drif you dont need a hand brake ;) you just need the noesp mod to get rid of that pesky electronic stability program which will change how much power you get to each wheel in order to keep you from swangin that back end wide.

now maybe you want it there for a completely different reason and im just running my stupid mouth about nothin ;)

as far as relocating the e-brake goes... i have no clue... hope i was helpful or informative about something rather than nothing!
yes this is fairly uninformative. first of all, there are virtually no FWD cars that drift. the jap cars you generally see at drift. are the nissan silvias, skylines. toyota supra, mazda rx-7, nissan 350z. etc, etc.

secondly. even though they are RWD, a drift is generally initiated with the e-brake.

to the original poster- re routing the cable would be the easy part of this mod i would think. the hard part would chopping up the center console, and modding it to accept an ebrake handle.

ive thought about it myself too

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
wow. im bad. im thinking ive seen more than a couple fwd cars in drift videos. but waht the hell do i know? not much about jap cars thats for sure. the only foreign cars in my family have ever been a porsche and a volvo since i was born. had chevys fords and now our first dodge :) cept my dad just got an 07 infinity g35 sport. im trying to get him to go and autocross with me or something hahaha. the cars are very similar, cept his gets off the line a bit quicker

what is the benefit to having the ebrake to help initate a drift on a rwd car? it almost seems counter intuitive when its almost too easy to swing your tail with a powerful car(assuming no stability control)

·
Registered
474 Posts
because then i will have one more base covered, to be able to do some fun stuff with the car. once they make us some proper sized rear gears, and we can get rid of the ESP.

·
Registered
474 Posts
wow. im bad. im thinking ive seen more than a couple fwd cars in drift videos. but waht the hell do i know? not much about jap cars thats for sure. the only foreign cars in my family have ever been a porsche and a volvo since i was born. had chevys fords and now our first dodge :) cept my dad just got an 07 infinity g35 sport. im trying to get him to go and autocross with me or something hahaha. the cars are very similar, cept his gets off the line a bit quicker

what is the benefit to having the ebrake to help initate a drift on a rwd car? it almost seems counter intuitive when its almost too easy to swing your tail with a powerful car(assuming no stability control)
there was one honda civic that was doing drift. but this isnt really drifting. just dragging your ass end around with the e-brake. you cant get the crazy angles, and hold the drift as long as a RWD can.

by using the e-brake to initiate the drift. you can modulate your entry angle easier. when using the power of the rear wheels. you require a certain amount of power to start the wheels spinning. and you dont always want that much power spinning the wheels when you enter your corner. but with an ebrake, you can just touch it to get a mild slide started. or you can rip on it, to really throw the ass end out.

once your drift is initiated, you use the throttle to modulate your wheel spin and control your drift angle.

hope that all made sense. sometimes its hard to explain this stuff in writing.

·
Registered
571 Posts
ebrake ftl to drift... all speed and clutch stabs.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
see that is my view. for the lose is right. (most people dont get that hahaha)

but your post made perfect sense.

·
Registered
474 Posts

ya for the average backyard drifter. who just runs with his buddies on the street somewhere. you would be right. but not in a pro drifter.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
yes this is fairly uninformative. first of all, there are virtually no FWD cars that drift. the jap cars you generally see at drift. are the nissan silvias, skylines. toyota supra, mazda rx-7, nissan 350z. etc, etc.

secondly. even though they are RWD, a drift is generally initiated with the e-brake.

to the original poster- re routing the cable would be the easy part of this mod i would think. the hard part would chopping up the center console, and modding it to accept an ebrake handle.

ive thought about it myself too
Actually thats not completely true FWD can still drift, don't get me wrong not all FWD can do it, they would have to do alot of work to the car in order to properly drift a FWD but its been done. I have the mag at home don't remeber the details at the momoent but I think a major company got someone in Japan to do a FWD Hond hatchback Civic.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Actually thats not completely true FWD can still drift, don't get me wrong not all FWD can do it, they would have to do alot of work to the car in order to properly drift a FWD but its been done. I have the mag at home don't remeber the details at the momoent but I think a major company got someone in Japan to do a FWD Hond hatchback Civic.
yes you are correct. consult my previous post.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes my intenttions are to have a little more fun in the turns so yes its for drifting purposes right now i can drift it around a corner after a stop light and keep it sideways for a couple hundred feet but i have to cut the wheel to hard to get it to break the tires loose and kick the ass end out. with the e brake i can do it on a slighter bend or curve and not just at a stand still

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there was one honda civic that was doing drift. but this isnt really drifting. just dragging your ass end around with the e-brake. you cant get the crazy angles, and hold the drift as long as a RWD can.

by using the e-brake to initiate the drift. you can modulate your entry angle easier. when using the power of the rear wheels. you require a certain amount of power to start the wheels spinning. and you dont always want that much power spinning the wheels when you enter your corner. but with an ebrake, you can just touch it to get a mild slide started. or you can rip on it, to really throw the ass end out.

once your drift is initiated, you use the throttle to modulate your wheel spin and control your drift angle.

hope that all made sense. sometimes its hard to explain this stuff in writing.
i think you explained it pretty good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts