Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mo since you already make emblems have you ever considered doing some for the interior? It would be cool if there was an SRT emblem that fit the rectangular bar on the center of the steering wheel and simultaneously filled the space left by removing the ram head maybe with black plastic or something. Charger, SXT and R/T would work pretty well too. I'd really like to ditch the ram head but want something that looks like it's supposed to be there. I've seen the plastic replacements but something like this would look better IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Hey Mo since you already make emblems have you ever considered doing some for the interior? It would be cool if there was an SRT emblem that fit the rectangular bar on the center of the steering wheel and simultaneously filled the space left by removing the ram head maybe with black plastic or something. Charger, SXT and R/T would work pretty well too. I'd really like to ditch the ram head but want something that looks like it's supposed to be there. I've seen the plastic replacements but something like this would look better IMO.
This would be awesome! I hate that stupid ram head...I don't drive a flippin' pick up.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly. It would only require a resizing of the emblem and a custom back to fill in the ram shield space in some aesthetically pleasing way.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay bear with me. :D

The back of the emblem would be circular. It would maybe be a shiny black or if we got fancy even brilliant black as it would match just about everyone's interior and not compete with the chrome emblem in front and also not try to match the plastic the wheel is made out of. The circle would of course be made of plastic or whatever material was most cost efficient or easy to work with. It would be about twice the diameter of the quarter pictured below.

If it was twice this size it would fit neatly between the airbag logo and the horn emblem but at the same time cover up the shield shape so that this setup looked factory. Attached tho this little circle thing would be the emblem of choice. Here is what I was thinking. It would basically just be a clone of the shiny SRT logo on my grille but SXT, Charger or R/T would work equally well.

Now in order for this to look good it would need to fit inside the rectangular indent and be sort of centered between my fingers in this picture.

Obviously the emblems you already make are along the right lines but would have to be made smaller to fit. The end result would be a round circle of some choice black material as the background with the emblem in the foreground. Make sense? Steve if you know what I mean can you whip up a render? I have zero capabilities to do that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm wondering about safety issues with the airbag?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
There is always a liability risk with anything on the steering wheel airbag cover. If the airbag were to ever deploy, the emblem could become a projectile into the face of the driver. It could potentially result in losing an eye or worse (like slicing an artery resulting in death). This is why BT has stated very clearly that they won't make one because of that risk.

Chrysler designs the emblem that is on there and how it is attached to ensure that it won't be a risk to the driver and verifies it through extensive airbag deployment testing. Any vendor that doesn't do the same may potentially open themselves up to being sued if anyone were ever injured or killed by their product in an airbag deployment.

Just a consideration to think about.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are none. The center piece folds up and out of the way.

And yes that's your pic ddaddy.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically if you hit that part of the wheel, the airbag failed IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Okay bear with me. :D

The back of the emblem would be circular. It would maybe be a shiny black or if we got fancy even brilliant black as it would match just about everyone's interior and not compete with the chrome emblem in front and also not try to match the plastic the wheel is made out of. The circle would of course be made of plastic or whatever material was most cost efficient or easy to work with. It would be about twice the diameter of the quarter pictured below.

If it was twice this size it would fit neatly between the airbag logo and the horn emblem but at the same time cover up the shield shape so that this setup looked factory. Attached tho this little circle thing would be the emblem of choice. Here is what I was thinking. It would basically just be a clone of the shiny SRT logo on my grille but SXT, Charger or R/T would work equally well.

Now in order for this to look good it would need to fit inside the rectangular indent and be sort of centered between my fingers in this picture.

Obviously the emblems you already make are along the right lines but would have to be made smaller to fit. The end result would be a round circle of some choice black material as the background with the emblem in the foreground. Make sense? Steve if you know what I mean can you whip up a render? I have zero capabilities to do that.
OK, I think I know where you're going with this, but why a circle, couldn't we still use that same design say like the front hood emblem?

I'm working on a render right now :beerchug:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure why not. I just figured a circular shape would be easiest to make. In my mind the emblem from the grille is laid over the circle and it sort of lays flush against the wheel after you have added some adhesive.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Got it done! Was that what you were thinking?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sort of but without the black wing parts. I think I'm trying for the 300 wheel to an extent.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also as far as airbag deployment goes all should be well if only the top part is stuck to the wheel as seen in the 300 wheel above. That emblem comes loose just fine. Provided there is no adhesive on the bottom half, the explosive charge that throws the bag out should win that fight.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Sort of but without the black wing parts. I think I'm trying for the 300 wheel to an extent.

Well I did some futzing around with it, I tried doing it with the wings but it really just looked weird. I did this one with the black rectangle that surrounds the SRT on the emblem in mind. Works a little better...I dunno I'll have to think on this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
There are none. The center piece folds up and out of the way.

And yes that's your pic ddaddy.
You missed my point. That flap rips open and then flips up at a tremendous velocity. Anything attached to it that could come loose will be launched at the driver at the speed of the airbag deploying and will strike the driver in the face. A bit like placing a quarter on the end of a ruler and flinging it at someone's face. The attachment of anything on that surface has to be tested to ensure it will remain attached to the surface under the conditions of that much angular momentum.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Also consider that that flap is flexible and deforms on airbag deployment which is why the stock emblem is attached by two mounting studs that have a wide flare on the reverse side to anchor them in place. The deformation of the surface means that things that are simply held in place by adhesive can be torn off like ripping off a band-aid by grabbing one end and pulling.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah steve that looks good and Ddaddy I get your point. I just hate the ram.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Also consider that that flap is flexible and deforms on airbag deployment which is why the stock emblem is attached by two mounting studs that have a wide flare on the reverse side to anchor them in place. The deformation of the surface means that things that are simply held in place by adhesive can be torn off like ripping off a band-aid by grabbing one end and pulling.
If I did it, it would mostly likely be a thin piece of hard rubber with shiney red srt letters. It probably wont hurt any more that getting hit in the face with the airbag. If the letters were the same size as the srt emblem, it would be super easy to mould off of, anybody got measurements of the chrome srt?

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't have the exact measurements handy. What kind of measurements would you need?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts