Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...we've had her (Emma, our GMG) out at the track twice. She's made about 20+ passes. With two different drivers, she's averaging the eighth-mile in 9.7 typically w/a 0.1-0.2 reaction time....does this seem right?? I thought that she should be running in the lower nines, but I just can't seem to get it there.

Don't get me wrong, she's cleaning up out there when we pull a comparable race, and I have no reason to complain...it's just that I'm more in competition with myself and the clock more than I am against the other car. The other night, the only cars that beat me were a 300C SRT, some Chevy SUV w/a Corvette motor (among other mods), and a Dodge Durango w/5.7L and NOS...for some reason, except for the Chevy, the track official LOVES pairing Hemis and Mopars, so all my races were pretty evenly matched not including the ones listed above. I walked a couple ricers too, but they weren't anything to brag about.

What have been average times for everyone else w/an R/T, stock?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to pull my time slips when I get home and find out, I'm at the office right now. I don't remember seeing "trap speed" on the slip...does it go by another name or abreviation?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trap speed= speed when you cross the line?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I'll have to pull my time slips when I get home and find out, I'm at the office right now. I don't remember seeing "trap speed" on the slip...does it go by another name or abreviation?
the trap speed is just how fast you're going when you get to the 1/8th mile mark. usually it is a more accurate indication of the engine's performance than the times because it takes out factors such as reaction time. usually trap speeds for r/t's are 70-80 mph i think.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it was in the 70's, i just don't know what the average is...I'll have to get back to you on that...

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I ran a 9.066 with just a CAI...but that should not have made a big difference over a stock Daytona...I never ran a stone cold stock run, and the best quarter that I mustered with just the CAI was a 14.16.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
What were the temps when you ran?
What was your Engine Coolant Temp?

Both will significantly affect your times. In similar Charleston weather, when my car was stock, I was running 9.5's - 9.7's. When it gets cooler out, those times drop considerably....

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Last weekend I went to the local 1/8 mile track here in Texas. I had a best of 8.8924 at 78.86mph. I do have a CAI and aftermarket mufflers - NOT a catback.I was stuck on 9.1- 9.2 forever. I did put on some Blastin Bob`s pipes the morning before the runs. I did not reset the computer. I do have a 180 t-stat and the .25 fan mod. I lowered my rear tires to 30 psi and raised the front to 45 psi. I don`t recall the temp outside but I do know temp plays a big part.

Scott

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was about 80 degrees out side, or there-about...The time before that, it was probably closer to 90. Dunno about the coolant temp, guages didn't show too big a difference...but when I popped my hood, I could hardly touch anything inside, including the stick that holds the hood up.

I look forward to November when it cools down and they go to Sunday racing. Right now with the wonderfully hot FL weather, they race on Friday nights. I've already decided I want CAI, we'll just have to wait for the funds to be there to do it. Looking at the other times, I'm feeling pretty good about the 9.7s for right now. Most of the other 5.7L Hemi's out there (no Chargers, though) were running about 9.7 or worse.

Track story from Friday night (off topic): This 18 y/o boy had just gotten this 300C SRT and brought it out to the track for the first time ever; he had never raced either. His friends ask me to race him, I agreed but added the disclaimer of "I don't stand a chance, but it'll be fun to see what it does." Obviously showing that I'm out there just to have fun, not to boost my ego and get into their pi**ing contests. So we run...I have a 0.10 reaction and he has a 0.45...I get him at the line, but he passes me about halfway down and walks me (ooohh, big surprise, huh?). So we get back to the pitting area and he starts dogging me because I lost! I told him that there is a big difference between his 6.1L and my 5.7L...then he tried to tell me that a Hemi is a Hemi and I wasn't as good as I thought I was!!! I couldn't help it at that point and told him "I seem to be lacking a di** to get involved in your little pi**ing contest here, but let's put it this way: That SRT you have there would make a 13 y/o girl look like a good racer. Your times for that car on that run still sucked...you wanna see what that car will really do, I'll be happy to show you how it should be done." His friends quickly started agreeing with me and dogging him about it...he didn't run again that night. As we left I asked him why he didn't race again and told him that he can't expect to get better if he doesn't keep trying. Since he was also one of my little brother's friends, I gave him the advice that if you're going to be out here racing and talking a crap, then you have to be able to take it too...and you have to learn when it's just better not to say anything at all.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Really 9.066 With Just A Cai
Yup...really! Add the Superchips to that and my best 1/8 reading from my time slips in the quarter was 8.900...while i came in the quarter at 13.885. At the same track, the Superchips shaved off 3/10 of a second...temp and humidity were nearly identical...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts