Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have installed Eibach's lowering springs on your Charger/300/Magnum ... did you have to install any kind of an alignment kit ?

Or did you even do an alignment after installing the springs ?

I see a few different types listed on TireRack.com and not sure which one or if I need any.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Whenever you add a suspension kit, you need an alignment; not an alignment kit, but a professionaly done alignemnt.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It was supposed to be an Eibach owners question ....

I know generalizations ...

I had the Eibach's on my last car and I had it aligned after having the springs installed but I didn't need a camber kit for it ... would I need one for the Charger ?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Give goval a break, gpwebman, he's just trying to help you out. You did ask for those that have installed Eibachs on their LXs, but whether goval has or has not, he is right. And what you need is a 4-wheel alignment.

I'm sure some Eibach guys/gals will chime in soon. Heck, goval and I just gave you a couple bumps :grin:

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Well, I might not be too knowledgeable on the "Eibach" specific, but I had a truck before, and with suspension upgrades (6" Procomp lift kit), and from what I've learned (with the Procomp Kit, and a previous PRG leveling kit), anytime you lower or raise the body from the wheels, you need to mess with that alignment rod to put the wheel back in line, or in 6 months you will see the results from unalignment, on your tire threads.
When I isntalled the PRG kit and the Procomp, both times I had to do an alignment.
I'm assuming lowering the Charger is no different...

The only time you don't need an alignment, is when you do a body lift. Body lift is when you add spacers on the frame mountings vice the suspension.

But again, 1.5" is not that big, so an alignment might not even be necessary...

Just trying to help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
After my install I took mine in to get an alignment. They said it did need an alignment and my car had less than 4k miles on it. They said the camber was off a little and a kit would help. I haven't bought an alignment kit and my car currently has 8K miles and my tires are fine.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
you only need the kits if the parameters cant be met anymore with stock adjustments. Eibachs will stay within parameters on most domestic vehicles as this is something they shoot for. Going with something 2" or more in difference will normally be where you have to get into adding spc/eibach alignment pieces to gain more adjustment.

x2 on the goval thing. I don t have eibachs on my daytona but i've installed over 500 eibach kits in my life and over 30 or so on lx's (5 kits on prior cars of mine). Eibach is the primary brand we sell at the shop i work at. They are stiffer than snot, but if you can deal with that they do their job and i have never once dealt with anything needing warranty. You dont have to have them on your vehicle to understand them. Let alone the amount of kits i've sold at work and didnt have to install.
I'm bagging it.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
oh also look into spc alignment pieces. This is the company that makes the pieces for eibach and they are cheaper if you get them from your distributor as an spc piece. Eibach of course marks it up when their name gets on it.
spc =specialty products company

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, thank you to all that replied (even if I misunderstood the reply initially - goval) ... I guess I will get the springs first and then try to have it aligned and see how far off it is ...

When I had my SHO lowered I seem to remember the shop telling me something like "this is the closest we can get it" and I never had tire wear or pulling issues ... ( I think it had some extra negative camber )

Now I just gotta get the springs done ... I already have an e-mail out to the shop owner which will do the job, requesting an appointment.

Again, thanks to all who shared their knowledge.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
word of advice; it's fine to replace your springs with the Eibach's, but in the long run, make plans to switch your shocks and coils also, or at least get some dampers. The factory coils and shocks are tuned with the factory springs, and when you change either of those, the other will not hold for too long before it wears out and give you problems. Some are running with them alone for a while without problems, but if your Charger go through dirt roads and such, you'll have more chances of your shocks giving up.
So plan, IN THE FUTURE (doesn't have to be right now), to replace your shocks also with EIBACH stuff, since you're getting Eibach springs.

If you drive like a woman and baby your Charger, then you'll be fine.

I was debating on getting either a set of Eibach springs or the SRT8 suspension. I chose none. The SRT8 has a very small drop, and the Eibachs is not a realy good way to go in my books. I decided to wait and get the better stuff which costs over 1K. In the long run, it will be better performancewise.

Not trying to steer you away from your plans, just giving you another point of view. The ride is a LOT better when you go with the complete package.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
x2 with goval on shocks, but not coils. I think he means struts.
The ford tortoise was a completely different camber set up. The camber on those old taurus could only be adjusted by slotting the strut tower bolts. There was very little margin for error and very little stock adjustment. we have a completely different front suspesion that those goofy things had. I probably aligned hundreds of tauruss in my day

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
x2 with goval on shocks, but not coils. I think he means struts.
The ford tortoise was a completely different camber set up. The camber on those old taurus could only be adjusted by slotting the strut tower bolts. There was very little margin for error and very little stock adjustment. we have a completely different front suspesion that those goofy things had. I probably aligned hundreds of tauruss in my day
Yes, I meant struts.

·
Registered
427 Posts
eibach dampers are crap, don't waste your money. by the time your shocks go bad you should have enough saved up to get st or kw coilovers.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are kinda making me want to do coil-overs ....

I had a problem when I did the Eibach's at approx 50k miles on the SHO and the struts wore out soon after the installation of the Eibach's ... made for a very wallowy ride, front-end bouncing around hitting bumps ... it sucked having to pay labor twice, once for the springs and 2nd time for the struts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts