Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed EBC's Red Stuff brake pads before we left on vacation. We've gone 1400 miles, although a lot of it has been highway, but some of it has been in town and in the mountains. I've had to wash my front wheels every day because they are black from brake dust after 24 hours. Anyone else have this problem with the Red pads? Will it get better after a few more miles? These are MUCH worse than the factory pads for brake dust so far.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I installed EBC's Red Stuff brake pads before we left on vacation. We've gone 1400 miles, although a lot of it has been highway, but some of it has been in town and in the mountains. I've had to wash my front wheels every day because they are black from brake dust after 24 hours. Anyone else have this problem with the Red pads? Will it get better after a few more miles? These are MUCH worse than the factory pads for brake dust so far.
there is a break in layer on all EBC pads. i think the dust will get better once your through that layer

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
From the EBC website.

6. Brake Dust
Some BRAKE DUST is inevitable from every brake pad and it is impossible to totally eliminate dust otherwise brake vibration will occur. We never advertise ZERO DUST we only advertise LESS DUST and we appreciate that in some cases dust will be almost the same as original pads. However, please note that dust is always more severe in the first 1000 miles of driving especially if pads were fitted to partly worn rotors. Another condition which promotes significant dust is wrong pad compound choice. If you have a car with over 200bhp (horse power) or drive above what we might call a spirited street level, for example green pads would not be suitable and red ceramic, being a slightly harder pad, can handle these higher speeds and loads and gives off less dust … there may be cases of overload where the Green pads are carbonising in use and a higher spec pad (Red Ceramic) is needed. If you have been sold greens and need reds, go back to the dealer where you purchased them and ask him for some sort of a deal to get you onto the correct brake compound. Yellow compounds are a fantastic brake, probably our best but they are equal in dust to Original parts and should not be chosen if a low dust pad is what you need. Our CLEANEST pads are RED CERAMIC for sedans and Green 7000 series for SUV and light trucks.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Yes..they were nasty at first but get much better. I see less dust know after the pad break-in, then I did on original equipment, by a wide margin.:grin:

·
Registered
890 Posts
I did their 30 30 30 break in procedure, but still have more dust, and occasionally they squeak? How long before they are borke in? 1000 miles?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
From the EBC website.
Its amazing that people buy and use these high performance pads and then don't seem to realize why they are high performance. Its cause they were designed to operate under WAY higher temperatures and loads than normal......that means that the pads need to be run HOT.... if your running Hypo pads at normal operating temperatures and loads, the material is still "soft" and will just peel off..... it won't "act" hard till it gets hot..... well, thats the Laymans explanation.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well, their RED STUFF pads are AGGRESSIVE pads... If you want no brake dust, then get GREEN STUFF...

IMHO those things are crap... stick with Hawk HPS if you want a non dusting / quiet street pad...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Its amazing that people buy and use these high performance pads and then don't seem to realize why they are high performance. Its cause they were designed to operate under WAY higher temperatures and loads than normal......that means that the pads need to be run HOT.... if your running Hypo pads at normal operating temperatures and loads, the material is still "soft" and will just peel off..... it won't "act" hard till it gets hot..... well, thats the Laymans explanation.
Their web site states taht you need to breake the pads in very easy, with mutiple soft stops, slowly increasing up to harder breaking, but not to get them hot. At what point should one use a lot of force getting them hot to finnish break in?

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
My RED Stuff pads were great. There was a lot of dust during the first few weeks, but that is often the case when pads bed in - especially to slightly worn discs.

As for operating temps, the only difference I found with the RS pads over the OEM was that the first braking event in the morning (driving from cold) -this was a little longer, with a slightly softer pedal feel. However, once the temp was raised for the first time, they were as good as, if not better than the OEMs for the remainder of any jouney's.

The only other potential problem I can see with the RS pads and operating temps is if you have been 'in the cruise' for a long time and haven't used the brakes - but push that pedal hard enough (ABS anybody...?) and those babies will heat up soon enough.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts