Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Charger GT AWD Tor Red
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2015 Charger SXT with the Easy Entry/exit system. When you turn the engine off this system moves the seat back, the steering wheel up, and the brake/gas pedals forward. When you start the engine it moves them all back to the memory position that you have set.

About 6 months ago my system started flaking out. It did everything wrong including not moving the seat or wheel when I started OR stopped the engine. The icing on the cake started about 3 months ago when the brake/gas pedals started MOVING AWAY WHILE DRIVING! I have seen everything here except the gas/brake pedal moving on many other FCA product forums. I have followed all the advice from resetting the Uconnect, to updating its firmware, to disabling/enabling the feature, moving the seat all the way forward, all the way backward, but it continues to happen.

I have now taken the vehicle to my dealership twice for this problem and another dealership once. Today I'm going back to my dealer for another go-around. They have all claimed that they can't find the problem. Dealer #2 said that I had the seat too far back and exceed the travel stop so there was no where to move the seat when I exited. They found some documentation on this in the manual, too. They also told me they replaced "a wiring harness". Hmmm, why would you have to replace a wiring harness if I was doing something wrong? Anyways, I moved my seat, steering wheel, and brake/gas pedal settings forward and reset the memory. Same thing. Some days it works right ... some days it doesn't ... some days one function works. Completely unpredictable.

I have about 6 months left on this lease and I really do love the car but this just irritates the heck out of me every day, at least twice a day. It's a guessing game what will happen. I don't know if it's worth fighting with the technicians for 6 months worth of trouble, or not, but I'm taking it back in today. I could almost get over the seat and steering wheel not adjusting at start/stop, but I am NOT going to put up with the brake pedal moving away from my foot while driving!

Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for your time.

GS

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I've never heard of this issue happening to someone like yours. Now, on GM cars, there's a key 1 and key 2. It seems to me that memory seats are based on which key you have at the time you save your settings. That fob should remember the key fobs by who ever is using it. I'm assuming your not using key fob 2, but setting memory for 1. It sounds like your issue is sort of similar to using the wrong fob at the time of setting the memory, but not really. Especially since it's happening while driving.

I'd fight. You can't have the seats or pedals moving while driving. If it doesn't get resolved, then at the end of your lease, I'd let them have it back. At some point it could be a serious safety issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still no luck

Thanks for the reply. I wish it were as simple as that, but I am the only driver and only use the number 1 key fob. The other one is safely tucked away so I don't accidentally grab it. I dropped by the dealership last week to warn them I was ... unhappy. I started with Sales and told him that if Service doesn't fix this then my next vehicle will be a Tesla 3! He went and got the Service "Quality Manager" and that guy took it for a ride. As anticipated ... it did not misbehave. So they asked me to bring it back today.

Last night after it sat in the sun for the day while I was in the office, I got in, pressed Start and nothing moved. I waited 30 seconds then pressed Memory button 1 and the seat moved an inch. I moved the seat and pedals to where I wanted them with their individual buttons. Then I drove about 1/2 mile, stopped at a light, put it in park, hit Memory 1 and EVERYTHING moved into the right position (including the steering wheel which I didn't readjust!). Sigh. Then I drove home and parked. This morning when I hit the start button everything moved like it should. I just want to bang my head on the wall...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Huh, I didn't know 15+ models had adjustable pedals. I've got every option on my scat pack and adjustable pedals weren't included?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, mine does. And I almost regret having it. When I dropped the Charger off for service last Thursday they gave me a Grand Cherokee. It did not have the adjustable brake/gas pedal assembly. It was kind of nice to go a few days not wondering if it was going to move on me. I just picked up my Charger this afternoon. So far, so good. I don't have my invoice handy (no charges) or I would list the replaced parts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Fail. Drove home from the dealership after the "repair". No problems. Drove to appointment #1 . No problems. Drove to appointment #2 and sat in the parking lot for 5 minutes idling while on the phone. When I pressed Engine Stop the seat did not move back and the wheel did not move up. Here we go again...

When I got back in the car after the appointment I called the dealership (only to be hung up on THREE TIMES by their stupid phone system). To add insult to injury, while on the phone I noticed that all my radio buttons said "Hold to set". Huh? They were working fine while I was driving earlier. Had to leave a voice mail for the Service Manager. When I hung up the buttons said "empty". Then I pressed the Radio soft button and all the radio presets came back! This one is actually repeatable. Press phone and all the radio buttons say "hold to set". Press Radio and they all come back! Best part? When driving home a few minutes ago I made a "Michigan U-turn" and stomped on the gas to merge into traffic. While still pressing the accelerator I felt the engine getting sluggish. Then I realized it wasn't sluggish - the brake/gas pedals moved away from me so I wasn't pressing the gas any more! When I got into my driveway I put it in park and pressed Memory Button #1 and the gas and brake moved right back to where they're supposed to be. I felt the pedal come to my foot. There is no doubt about it - the damn things moved away from me while I was stepping on the gas!

Now I have to call the dealership back on Thursday because they don't have any rentals/loaners to give me while they work on it. This will be 5 visits for the same problem between 2 dealerships.

Here's a little irony... While at appointment #2 (Chiropractor) I asked him how he liked his 2017 Charger (392?) he just bought. He said "its great but sometimes the seat doesn't always move to the memory position". Sigh. Wait until the brakes start doing it, doc!

Is anyone from FCA monitoring this forum? It's time to escalate this problem or you're going to lose a faithful customer of almost 20 years...

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is just a question because I have never leased a car.

Is there a penalty for turning the car in early and getting a new lease?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No "penalty" but I still have to pay off the lease. Or I can roll the remaining payments into the next lease. Neither is very appealing. If I wait until about 3 months before the end of the term they usually buy it out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
End of lease can be easy or a pain. The best scenario is if you turn in early (and they pay out the remaining payments) you don't get charged for dings or nicks or tire wear because the dealer is buying it. If you run to the full end of lease and the leasing company takes the car they will nail you for "excessive" wear and tear (tread wear, paint/stone chips, scratches). It gets nastier if you die before the end of the lease (my father did). Buick billed his estate for every single remaining payment. Or if you decide you shouldn't drive any longer (91 year old auntie), Honda makes you pay it out. She avoided paying out 12 months ($3600) by purchasing the vehicle and selling to a private party, but it was still a pain. The state of Michigan nailed her 6% sales tax on $18k she paid to buy it out, then turned around and nailed the guy that it bought it from her 6%, too! I have leased 5 Dodge/Chrysler vehicles before this one and walked out early on all but one, without any trouble. For me it made sense as I didn't put on a lot of miles and I got out before big maintenances were due. Plus I got a new/nicer vehicle every 3 years.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
The Memory Seat Module (MSM) is located underneath the driver seat. It is used in conjunction with the other modules to recall the driver seat to one of two preset seat positions. The memory system is able to store and recall all driver side power seat positions, outside mirror positions, power tilt/telescopic steering column positions and power adjustable pedal position.

Just a guess, but check the mounting and wiring/connectors to the MSM to see if anything is loose, etc ... I would think the dealership would have checked the MSM but I don't know what diagnostics they ran, what wiring/connectors were checked, etc ...
Anytime a MSM is replaced, the MSM must be cleared of all learned parameters using a scan tool and the Power Seat System Verification test is performed. I don't if the dealership ran this procedure or not.

Another thought is the adjustable pedal synchronization procedure. This procedure adjusts the brake and accelerator pedals so they're synchronized. Afterwards, if the vehicle is equipped with memory seats, the system needs to be initialized. I don't know what happens if the adjustable pedal synchronization is not performed or the pedals become un-synchronized.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: I picked up the car Tuesday morning (8/8) after it was "fixed". It behaved for a few short trips but then a trip later in the afternoon was ... eventful. As I accelerated into traffic I felt the engine get "sluggish" and the car start to lose speed. Then I realized that the brake/gas pedal assembly had just moved away from my foot and my foot was off the gas!

Now I have a new bug. During another trip I was parked while on the phone (using Uconnect bluetooth). Just absentmindedly I looked at the Uconnect display and noticed that all my radio preset buttons said "empty". Funny, they were working fine while I had been driving all day. When I finished the call I pressed the radio button and they all came back! When I pressed the phone button (on the Uconnect) they all said "press to set". I pressed "radio" again and they all came back. My niece is now calling my Charger "Evil Herbie". It goes back in to the dealership Monday.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'll collect up my receipts from the dealership(s) and see if they noted which parts were replaced, but I recall hearing "switch" and "harness" being mentioned. Not sure about the MSM. MOPAR has now jumped into the thread (offline) and has contacted the dealer to offer technical assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts