Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have one, or have used one? Im just curious how it works and what tips and tricks someone could tell me. I haven't decided if I wanted to buy one yet, but I know if I did alot of people would want to use it so im thinking about getting one and practicing on other peoples cars first :D

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Be careful. I heard that after rolling a fender, the paint might crack around the edges of the outer fender. The cracking won't appear right away, it show up over time.

The roller basically pushed the inner lip on the underside of the fender outward away from the tire.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right I got a deal with a body shop, I buy the tool, and they use it and I charge them to rent it. :D My car being the tester... but they are really good shop so Im sure if they mess it up they will fix it too.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
a couple of things.

1. use a heat gun to soften the paint and metal while rolling it.

2. ive heard of some people doing small cuts in the lip before rolling so there isnt any problems with the metal rolling back.

i personally havent done it myself. thats just what ive heard about it. there may be more to it...im not sure.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I really wish someone with experience doing this would chime in.... this is something I need to get done soon to the rear fenders.

-Pat

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I bit the bullet Im hoping the tool will be here by the weeks end and then I'll make an appointment to take it to the body shop and see if they'll let me hangout and snap photos, I know both the owner and the guy doing the work. They both know how anal I am. But im not sure if I wanna be around while they are doing it to my baby!!! HAHAHA

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Ok I bit the bullet Im hoping the tool will be here by the weeks end and then I'll make an appointment to take it to the body shop and see if they'll let me hangout and snap photos, I know both the owner and the guy doing the work. They both know how anal I am. But im not sure if I wanna be around while they are doing it to my baby!!! HAHAHA

heat gun baby that is the main thing and take your time. I did mine with the roller its a good tool

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heat gun baby that is the main thing and take your time. I did mine with the roller its a good tool
Sweet I do have a heat gun already its a dual temp... I think 700 and 1000 degree settings?

im assuming I wanna heat from under the lip and not outside on the fender?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
280 Posts
i did it on my gti back in 2002. the one we used was the type that bolts to the hub and you roll it around with a handle. it never cracked the paint or left any ripples in the metal. ill post a pic of how it looked

·
Registered
280 Posts

you can see how the rear wheel wells are pushed out some. this was not the factory paint at this point. but i never had any problems with the paint cracking when i did it the first time. oh and before any of you srt8 boys say import crap that lil 1.8 made 474 hp and 514tq at the wheels on 18 psi. [email protected] mph. tried 24 psi one night and it had its best 60 and 330 times but blew the clutch apart in 4th gear. so iam sure it was on a [email protected] run but i never found out. sold it a few weeks later. first and last import build for myself.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i did it on my gti back in 2002. the one we used was the type that bolts to the hub and you roll it around with a handle. it never cracked the paint or left any ripples in the metal. ill post a pic of how it looked
This is the one I bought....

·
Registered
280 Posts
yeah thats the same type ive got. mine was made by a company in england. i picked it up at the sema show back in 2001 from a friend who works for h&r

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
How much did that thing run you? And whered you get it from? I need to order it as well and try and post up pix and advice when its done.

Btw, what are we supposed to do with the plastic in the wheel wells? I saw that one guy said to "take it out"..... as in no longer have plastic at all in the wheel wells? I understand it needs to be moved so it doesnt melt, but after the lip is rolled up, what does it rest on?

-Pat

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
How much did that thing run you? And whered you get it from? I need to order it as well and try and post up pix and advice when its done.

Btw, what are we supposed to do with the plastic in the wheel wells? I saw that one guy said to "take it out"..... as in no longer have plastic at all in the wheel wells? I understand it needs to be moved so it doesnt melt, but after the lip is rolled up, what does it rest on?

-Pat
I bought mine from ebay... eastwood has their own listing.... the roller cost me $250, but I plan on renting it out to guys locally to recoup my monies. :D

I believe the plastic liner is held in with fasteners. I think HEMI meant remove it during the heating process so it wont melt, and then after your done rolling reinstall them, if they hung on that lip, im sure some 3M double sided tape will work fine in holding the liner in place. Ive thought about renting the tool out to members on charger forums. I seen one guy charging $50 to rent plus shipping, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
renting it sounds like a good idea. $50 doesnt sound to bad.

you should do like a 200 depo and then refund the rest after it gets sent back to you.

i may even want to rent it from you :)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like a plan. I got the tracking number today but when I checked earlier there was no info yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts