Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for taking a look.

A couple of weeks ago I pulled into my driveway, put my charger in park, and stepped down on the e-brake pedal. When I stepped down on the pedal, there was a pop and I felt the pedal go down much easier than it normally does. I checked to make sure that the brake was working, and to my dismay it was not. It is still not working when I press down on the pedal. The light on the dash still goes on, and the pedal still moves, but there is no actual brake that is holding the vehicle still anymore. I wanted to know if anyone else has ever had this problem, or if anyone knows what this is and how to fix it.

Thanks again for taking a look.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Somewhat common, linings can de-laminate from the shoes, and you have no E-Brake. Usually makes noise driving if it doesn't break apart or lock the wheel up. Sometimes the actuator lever can bind up. Only way to be sure is to remove the rear calipers and the rear rotors for inspection.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Parking brake is actually the little drum brake in the rear calipers. Like TBird said, remove the rear rotors for inspection

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I will take a look at that tomorrow and see what I can find. I really appreciate the help!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
247 Posts
another possibility... where did you hear the pop? from the rear of the car or near the parking brake pedal?
if it was from the pedal area...
i haven't had one break on my charger, but i have had on other cars, the knob on the end of the cable poped off. without the end, pushing on the brake pedal doesn't tighten the cable anymore. i would look at the parking brake pedal first and see if the cable is still attached or is loose. that would be an easier and quicker check first before i start looking at the other end on the rear calipers.

·
Registered
400 Posts
it's not a emergency brake, it's a parking break. if you use it during an emergency it wont help you, it will damage and wont work. it's only used for parking. i learned that the hard way when i tried to use it for 180s in the snow, now mine doesn't work either. how come noones said anything about that little button, or whatever it is, located at the rear caliper? and how come noone is saying which rear caliper to look at? i'm pretty sure that it's only the rear passenger side where the parking brake is applied, someone correct me if i'm wrong. the dealership would quote you 900 bucks to have the e brake spring kit replaced instead of pressing that putton behind the knuckle to adjust the line.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
It's not a parking break.

It's a parking BRAKE.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Well it is an emergency brake/parking brake. Granted its a one time use e brake

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
626 Posts
it's not a emergency brake, it's a parking break. if you use it during an emergency it wont help you, it will damage and wont work. it's only used for parking. i learned that the hard way when i tried to use it for 180s in the snow, now mine doesn't work either. how come noones said anything about that little button, or whatever it is, located at the rear caliper? and how come noone is saying which rear caliper to look at? i'm pretty sure that it's only the rear passenger side where the parking brake is applied, someone correct me if i'm wrong. the dealership would quote you 900 bucks to have the e brake spring kit replaced instead of pressing that putton behind the knuckle to adjust the line.
WHAAAAT??? Let me set you straight..., and give some other people an understanding how it works.

The park brake applies both sides when the pedal is pressed. The rear brake calipers have nothing to do with the park brake system. The parking brake system on our 2006-current Chargers is a drum in hat system. This means there is a drum brake surface contained in the hat of the rear rotors (the center hub section of the rotors). In these "drums" is a small set of brake shoes which are applied when you press down the park brake pedal. The pedal pulls a set of cables, which pulls a lever at each rear wheel which expands the shoes out inside of the drum, holding the car or slowing it down in a slow speed emergency situation.

·
Registered
400 Posts
my friend's 1985 buick lost it's power brake on the high way and used his e brake to slow down gradually. in out 2006 chargers, the parking brake will break if used when the car is in motion. and worst of all it wont let you do 180s in the snow. we need a e brake mod.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
...the knob on the end of the cable poped off. without the end, pushing on the brake pedal doesn't tighten the cable anymore. i would look at the parking brake pedal first and see if the cable is still attached or is loose. that would be an easier and quicker check first before i start looking at the other end on the rear calipers.
This would be my first check as well. It sounds like the crimped ends of one of the cables popped off either at the pedal, at the joint above the rear differential, or inside one of the parking brake drums.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
my friend's 1985 buick lost it's power brake on the high way and used his e brake to slow down gradually. in out 2006 chargers, the parking brake will break if used when the car is in motion. and worst of all it wont let you do 180s in the snow. we need a e brake mod.
It will break? What do you base this on? It's a drum brake and there is no reason for it to fail when applied while the car is moving. It's just not designed for repeated continual use to stop the vehicle in motion...hence the name "e-brake".

·
Registered
400 Posts
It will break? What do you base this on? It's a drum brake and there is no reason for it to fail when applied while the car is moving. It's just not designed for repeated continual use to stop the vehicle in motion...hence the name "e-brake".
after repeated continual use it stops working rather than breaking, i guess it's fixable? i don't know. i also don't know why the dealership quoted me 900 for parts and labor to replace it; parking brake spring kit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts