Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Dodge Charger with a Spyder LED Projector Halo headlights and a K2 Black Honeycomb grill upgrade.

Installation: I am by no means a mechanic, but I have patience and good mechanical skills. In order to perform the upgrade, you have to take the front fascia off. It sounds scarier than it actually is if you have the proper tools. There are all sorts of write-ups & youtube videos how to do this. The inside scoop is you will need some 1/2" black panel clips (autozone) and panel clip pliers. See http://www.harborfreight.com/panel-clip-pliers-67399.html The clip pliers are essential because a screwdriver will damage clips or rip the fascia.

Headlights: There are several choices out there. Most the sellers really don't know their product. There is a 3-LED and 5-LED version. I went with the 3-LED version because I thought it looked better and I heard a rumor it was a "revised version." I expected to buy all new bulbs but my kit came with fully loaded. The wiring harnesses matched my OEM connectors. The Halo/LED circuit is just a red & black wire coming out from the bottom. I was making elaborate plans of running a new circuit to the fuse box, but after I had the bumper off the most obvious point was the side-marker light. I cut the plug off and tied in the red/black. I used some heat-shrink tube and a generous amount of electrical tape to make a more permanent connection. It also makes sense because if I ever need to get at that plug again, I can just pry off the marker light without removing the fascia again. The LEDs and Halos light up whenever my parking or headlights are on.

Grill: My stock grill was too much chrome. I had chrome cross-hairs with the horizontal slats. I've heard of people replacing it while the fascia was still mounted, but it is so much easier when it's off. If you're thinking doing both upgrades, do them both at the same time. Some of you noticed an old-school Charger emblem. It's from a 1969 Charger. I have that same script engraved in my T-shift knob. Love it!

Issues: 1) I had a little fogging inside my grill on one rainy & humid night. I'm going to keep an eye on that. I had that back on the OEM headlight when the car was new and the stealership replaced the head light. It's only happened once. 2) I forgot to align the headlights. I was blinding a few people. The low beams have a more focused beam with sharper definition. They have an eye-lid shape. You can't see much outside that shape because the light doesn't scatter. Road signs inside that shape are visibly brighter. It takes a little getting used to.

Parts/sellers are:
06-10 Dodge Charger Dual Twin Halo Ring Projector LED Black Headlights = ctrusa
05-10 Dodge Charger Black Front Hood mesh honeycomb grill = autozensation
Vintage Dodge Charger Emblem = acksdell

That's just about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
nice setup bro

2010 Bright Silver 3.5L SXT V6
Diablo Intune - 91 tune/89 oct
Airaid CAI
BT oil catch can
Blastin Bobs 12 DB kit
Aces IV and all QB fluids
Tint - 20% front and 5% rear
Luminx ccfl halo head/tail lights

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Looks sweet. I am looking at doing the same setup but with the 5 LED headlights. Lights are on their way and planning the grill here shortly.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks sweet. I am looking at doing the same setup but with the 5 LED headlights. Lights are on their way and planning the grill here shortly.
Thanks! Just follow my pointers and you won't have any trouble at all. You'll have to follow up and post the difference between the 3-LED and 5-LED lights.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I am still waiting on the grill but here are my headlights with the 5 LED:

I am really looking forward to getting the grill to complete the package.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
And I just realized you are from NY! May see you around. I went to school at RIT. I still travel up there occasionally.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And I just realized you are from NY! May see you around. I went to school at RIT. I still travel up there occasionally.
Cool, I live like 15 mins from RIT. You installed the headlights without installing the grill? I've heard its a lot harder to install with the bumper still on. What did you tap the halos into? Did the wire harnesses for the lights match up? Are the halo's LEDs or CCFLs? My OEM grill is the same. Looks good!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I am buying the grill from another forum and waiting for a response with the paypal info. Once I get it I will be able to take off the bumper to install it. I was able to get everything off without removing wheels and it wasn't too bad.

When I ordered them, they said they were CCFL but they weren't. I think they are an acrylic rod with LED's. I contacted the seller and we will see what comes out of it. I got them cheap so I can't complain that much.

I spent a while looking how to hook them up to be on whenever the key is on. I really wanted to tap into something under the hood but I gave up on that idea when I found an easy way into the cab. I ended up running the wires across the front under the plastic cover between the engine bay and bumper. Then I ran them up along the hood release wire. I cut the ends off a pen and wedged it through the hole of the hood release (saw someone here do that). I then ran it to the lighter plug and tapped into those wires. Now whenever the car is on they light up. When the key is off the lights are off. It was very simple to wire it up surprisingly. I am happy with the outcome so far.

What did you tap into for the lights?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am buying the grill from another forum and waiting for a response with the paypal info. Once I get it I will be able to take off the bumper to install it. I was able to get everything off without removing wheels and it wasn't too bad.

When I ordered them, they said they were CCFL but they weren't. I think they are an acrylic rod with LED's. I contacted the seller and we will see what comes out of it. I got them cheap so I can't complain that much.

I spent a while looking how to hook them up to be on whenever the key is on. I really wanted to tap into something under the hood but I gave up on that idea when I found an easy way into the cab. I ended up running the wires across the front under the plastic cover between the engine bay and bumper. Then I ran them up along the hood release wire. I cut the ends off a pen and wedged it through the hole of the hood release (saw someone here do that). I then ran it to the lighter plug and tapped into those wires. Now whenever the car is on they light up. When the key is off the lights are off. It was very simple to wire it up surprisingly. I am happy with the outcome so far.

What did you tap into for the lights?
The CCFL would have to have some kind of ballast.

That works! I initially wanted to wire it that way, http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157113, but it turned out to be much easier to tap into the corner lights. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense:
1) Halos/LEDs are on whenever the parking or headlights are on.
2) The pair of wires coming out of the headlights were just log enough to comfortably reach the corner light plug.
3) If I ever wanted to get at that wiring I could pry off the corner light and get at it.
4) What if I go to the drive-in? My halos would be on if I wanted the radio on. I sometimes turn on the radio and put the windows down if I want some music by the campfire. I wouldn't want my halos on then.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You can take off the grill itself fairly easy. I had to do it one day when my hood cable come undone on my SRT. I had to do it from the bottom up and it wasnt to difficult. There should just be 4 phillips head screws that hold the grill in place. If you pop your hood and remove the radiator covers, you can stick your hand down in with a short stubby screwdriver and take the screws out. Should be two screws in the center and one on each side towards the top. Beats taking the whole bumper cover back off.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys have 2006's. That could be the difference. My 2010 has a plastic splash guard that connects to the bumper. There's no ideal way of accessing it from underneath with-out removing it. When I pulled the bumper cover off, I had to remove the clips holding the splash cover to the bumper.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mine has the front splash guard also. 06-10 are all the same. Thes best way to do it is pop the hood and pull the radiator covers off and take a small stubby phillips head screwdriver and take the screws out and pop the grill out. Should take maybe 20 mins top to do that instead of an hour or so to take the bumper cover off.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The CCFL would have to have some kind of ballast.

That works! I initially wanted to wire it that way, http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157113, but it turned out to be much easier to tap into the corner lights. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense:
1) Halos/LEDs are on whenever the parking or headlights are on.
2) The pair of wires coming out of the headlights were just log enough to comfortably reach the corner light plug.
3) If I ever wanted to get at that wiring I could pry off the corner light and get at it.
4) What if I go to the drive-in? My halos would be on if I wanted the radio on. I sometimes turn on the radio and put the windows down if I want some music by the campfire. I wouldn't want my halos on then.
I didn't mind the inverter with CCFL halo's. They are slightly brighter in daylight. Not really an issue with wiring them up. Just an added component.

As for tapping into the parking lights; I wasn't fond of the idea. Everyone seemed to do that. It didn't matter what car, type of halo, etc most people did that. But that means you always need to turn on the parking lights just to have halo's on. IF you get to work late and had them on you may jump out of the car and forget to turn them off. Doing it my way they are self sufficient. On with car, off with car. Simple. I do need to add a switch into the circuit though for when we go to the drive-in. I go a few times a year and its annoying if the lights don't turn off. (made that mistake in the Vibe).

Mine has the front splash guard also. 06-10 are all the same. Thes best way to do it is pop the hood and pull the radiator covers off and take a small stubby phillips head screwdriver and take the screws out and pop the grill out. Should take maybe 20 mins top to do that instead of an hour or so to take the bumper cover off.
It doesn't look too hard but it wasn't that hard to remove the bumper. Now I have done it once, it will be even easier next time. I didn't need to remove the wheels, it was just a few bolts, and a few clips. Pretty easy. Not the easiest I have done but simple enough.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't mind the inverter with CCFL halo's. They are slightly brighter in daylight. Not really an issue with wiring them up. Just an added component.
The LEDs are not bright for daylight, but they look OK. At night they are pretty cool looking. I went with LED because I'm hoping they would last longer.

As for tapping into the parking lights; I wasn't fond of the idea. Everyone seemed to do that. It didn't matter what car, type of halo, etc most people did that. But that means you always need to turn on the parking lights just to have halo's on. IF you get to work late and had them on you may jump out of the car and forget to turn them off. Doing it my way they are self sufficient. On with car, off with car. Simple. I do need to add a switch into the circuit though for when we go to the drive-in. I go a few times a year and its annoying if the lights don't turn off. (made that mistake in the Vibe).
Already done that! I left the parking lights on once. The car shuts them off automatically to prevent draining the battery. I do NOT have automatic headlights either. When I got back to the car the light switch was still in the parking lights position, but the lights (and halos) were off. I've never timed it to see how long the lights stay on. I'm guessing 10 minutes though because there have been times I waited in the car with the engine off and radio on. I seem to remember it turning off in ~10 minutes.

It doesn't look too hard but it wasn't that hard to remove the bumper. Now I have done it once, it will be even easier next time. I didn't need to remove the wheels, it was just a few bolts, and a few clips. Pretty easy. Not the easiest I have done but simple enough.
Right. If you have the right tools you should be OK. I didn't remove my wheels either. I just turned them one direction. I used the tread on the tire to wedge the fender liner back. Someone shaved the tops of some of the clips off for some reason so they couldn't be removed. Maybe for looks? I had to drill those out and replace them. Spyder's headlight install on Youtube was very helpful. Ref: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2343800#post2343800

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The LEDs are not bright for daylight, but they look OK. At night they are pretty cool looking. I went with LED because I'm hoping they would last longer.
It looks good I will agree. But since I bid on a CCFL thread and they sent LED ones I got money back. In total my headlights cost $53 Whoohoo! I love the look. Its not overly flashy, and almost looks OEM.

Already done that! I left the parking lights on once. The car shuts them off automatically to prevent draining the battery. I do NOT have automatic headlights either. When I got back to the car the light switch was still in the parking lights position, but the lights (and halos) were off. I've never timed it to see how long the lights stay on. I'm guessing 10 minutes though because there have been times I waited in the car with the engine off and radio on. I seem to remember it turning off in ~10 minutes.
I never realized the parking lights would turn off if it was left in the on position. I never had a car do that before. But thinking back, all my cars had auto lights after my second car. I set up my Charger with Auto lights but its not sensitive enough.

Right. If you have the right tools you should be OK. I didn't remove my wheels either. I just turned them one direction. I used the tread on the tire to wedge the fender liner back. Someone shaved the tops of some of the clips off for some reason so they couldn't be removed. Maybe for looks? I had to drill those out and replace them. Spyder's headlight install on Youtube was very helpful. Ref: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2343800#post2343800
Those rivets your talking about were on the edge correct? Apparently those are a one-time-use part. Its like a pop rivet made from plastic. I talked to a couple auto shops about it. I cut them all off and replaced them with 1/4" ones with the heads. It will be easier next time. At first I thought they were like the door ones where you push in the center but they aren't. Stupid part if you ask me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks good I will agree. But since I bid on a CCFL thread and they sent LED ones I got money back. In total my headlights cost $53 Whoohoo! I love the look. Its not overly flashy, and almost looks OEM.
You stole them! I paid like $160 (shipping included) for mine. There are quite a few vendors selling them and most had this price. One was cheaper, ($112?) but I didn't buy it because I figured it was a return.

I never realized the parking lights would turn off if it was left in the on position. I never had a car do that before. But thinking back, all my cars had auto lights after my second car. I set up my Charger with Auto lights but its not sensitive enough.
Right. It's to protect the battery from draining. I haven't had a car without auto lights since 1998. That's why I was surprised my Charger doesn't have them. They should be standard.

Those rivets your talking about were on the edge correct? Apparently those are a one-time-use part. Its like a pop rivet made from plastic. I talked to a couple auto shops about it. I cut them all off and replaced them with 1/4" ones with the heads. It will be easier next time. At first I thought they were like the door ones where you push in the center but they aren't. Stupid part if you ask me.
My fender clips look like this, (see pic.) Someone cut off the heads making it permanent. I tried to pry one out but I did more harm then good, so I had to drill them out and replace them. It makes no sense because you need to remove these clips to get at the fog lights to replace the bulbs. One of the clips is in the center wheel-well right above the tire. I spend a couple minutes trying to take it out with a socket until I realized it was a clip, not a nut. LOL. Dodge seems to overly rely on these clips.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I bought ones that were labeled floor model. I wasn't sure about them but I figured they were under $100 so it was worth a try. Then when I got them I contacted the company saying they sent me LED instead of CCFL and they refunded me some of the money. It was great. I am not usually a lucky guy like that but for once I was.

Mine were different. I don't know what they were called but they worked more like a plastic rivet than anything else. The only way to remove them was to break/ cut them. It looked like this: (without the long stick, that comes off)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts