Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking into exhaust options and would love some feedback and thinking of replacing the stock suitcase mufflers with glasspacks. I found this Thrush one that may work. It's 28" in total length. I was thinking about just deleting the mufflers and be done with it but then started down the glasspack route. I figure it might refine the noise slightly and might not be as loud. These retail at $27 each but I can get a pair for $34.

HAs anyone done this? And how do you like it.

Also should there be any installation concerns since the stock mufflers have and offset inlet and outlet? Can the bend the stock piping to get the proper angle? Or are these not an option. Thanks all

·
Registered
916 Posts
Look up cuda's post in the general forums called Finally!!!! Towards the end he did a swap to the cherry bomb glasspacks and has before and after videos posted to give you an idea. Similar price points and his sound great. Can't speak to the Thrush product but I know there have been some very satisfied people who have done this rather than full catback for example. Also keep in mind cuda's is a v6 if that matters. Good luck and make sure you update us if you do it. Im always up for something new!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will check out that thread.

Question. Is it realatively safe to assume that replacing the suitcase mufflers with glasspacks will yield little to no drone? It seems like there is very little to no complaint of drone with just the muffler delete. The glass packs should absorb a little noise before it goes through the resonators.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want a 2.5" inlet/outlets right ? Ordering the glasspacks this week

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes, you want 2.5". I have a slight concern of everything lining up since the stock mufflers are offset. 28" might be a bit long though... this picture is of a 20" total Magnaflow with custom piping afterwards and no resonators. I'm not sure how well stock piping with resonators would align with either of these setups. If you can take pictures of the install so we can all get an idea if it's a simple cut out/clip or weld in, that'd be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hey I'm sorry, I led you astray earlier when i said to look up the Finally!!! thread, he didn't post his glasspacks videos there.

You can find them here, he used the cherry bombs

http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/cudaseeker/library/stuff stuff/Our new baby?sort=3&page=1

Towards the bottom there's 2 videos of before and after the install as well as a video of the interior when accelerating to give you an idea of what the sound difference was.

Hope he doesn't mind that I'm pimping his videos.....he's a good dude and proud of his car (justifiably so) so I don't think it's a problem.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey I'm sorry, I led you astray earlier when i said to look up the Finally!!! thread, he didn't post his glasspacks videos there.

You can find them here, he used the cherry bombs

http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/cudaseeker/library/stuff stuff/Our new baby?sort=3&page=1

Towards the bottom there's 2 videos of before and after the install as well as a video of the interior when accelerating to give you an idea of what the sound difference was.

Hope he doesn't mind that I'm pimping his videos.....he's a good dude and proud of his car (justifiably so) so I don't think it's a problem.
DAMN - That might be the best sounding V6 i have heard in a long long time . I like how the sound is more refined than most modified exhausts. Cycles / RPMS down nice and smooth and revs up similarly. Excellent Gamble on his part. Love It

Although I haev a V8 I feel fairly confident I will be happy with how mine may sound with my glasspacks replacing the stock mufflers and keeping the resonators. I dont think I have to worry too much about it being obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
916 Posts
DAMN - That might be the best sounding V6 i have heard in a long long time . I like how the sound is more refined than most modified exhausts. Cycles / RPMS down nice and smooth and revs up similarly. Excellent Gamble on his part. Love It

Although I haev a V8 I feel fairly confident I will be happy with how mine may sound with my glasspacks replacing the stock mufflers and keeping the resonators. I dont think I have to worry too much about it being obnoxiously loud.
Agreed 10000%

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you want 2.5". I have a slight concern of everything lining up since the stock mufflers are offset. 28" might be a bit long though... this picture is of a 20" total Magnaflow with custom piping afterwards and no resonators. I'm not sure how well stock piping with resonators would align with either of these setups. If you can take pictures of the install so we can all get an idea if it's a simple cut out/clip or weld in, that'd be great.
I have those concerns as well. I never did any formal measuring yet..... But I did take some picks a week ago. See below. I am not sure how long the stock muffler is but based on scale I would imagine I have a a good 12-16" between the end of the mufflers and the bend in the pipe leading towards the resonators. I cannot imagine the stock mufflers are leff than 14" long so my initial thought is they should fit. I'll have to measure before I order these puppies. On the one pic I MS Painted in some lines to show where the glasspacks would go.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the stock muffler by chance?

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Measured the length of the stockers and the body is 18-19". The 24-26" chamber and 28" total inch glasspack should be OK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts