Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...still learning an all that sh!t...(I have a good handle on exhausts, CAI's, and headers now)...

What exactly goes on during dyno tuning? Teach me! Teach me! Thinking about getting this s/c, I have learned that I need to get it dyno tuned (thanks Shaun (GS Motorsports) for the info today).

Oh yeah....I have this mpeg where this ricer (civic hatchback) posts 750hp on the dynamometer. WTH! It pissed me off a little bit now that I am a Charger owner...why you ask? I have no idea...it just did.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
a little off topic man (i am all american muscle) but some of these guys are pushing their ricers to 1000hp. i read that on the cover of a super street or something like that....i about crapped myself

·
Registered
3 Posts
GoDaddy said:
a little off topic man (i am all american muscle) but some of these guys are pushing their ricers to 1000hp. i read that on the cover of a super street or something like that....i about crapped myself

sounds like supras or skylines to me ....

·
Registered
34 Posts
a dyno tune is a computer that performance shops have that pretty much lets you change your cars computer giving it the most power the engine has

·
Registered
384 Posts
I dont think that the can-bus software can be dyno tuned yet, I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
There is no hack for the LX PCM yet, therefore NO Dyno tuning is available.

I would really like some one to prove that statement wrong!
Please.
________
PLITOCHKAOP

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
nope still nothing but the guys over at lxforum.com are drooling over a possible superchip setup.....that is going to be us in a years time if there is still nothing.....drooling over a ram superchip setup....lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You would think that Diamler Chry. would put it out open source or something...to keep up with the Mustang mods, etc.

I am not a engine guy (although desperatly trying to learn all I can), but I am a computer guy who works in the field (networks, routers, switches, servers, firewalls, etc..etc..) and if it is remotely the same technologies involved...why doesn't someone turn to the hackers of the IT realm to break this thing...I bet Kevin Mitnik could find a way into it... Am I totally off here?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
If you do it without permission, you open yourself to legal action, I think.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I some how think that kevin mitnick wouldn't care about the car. he's not really a car guy.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
GLHS837 said:
If you do it without permission, you open yourself to legal action, I think.
How would it be any different than a cold air kit, a aftermarket hood
or a converter to hook and after market stereo to the factory wiring harness?
As long as you don't build and market a car that uses there system, I think you?re OK.
________
DEPAKOTE SETTLEMENT UPDATE

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Becuase in the above cases, you are not altering the factory software programming.

·
Registered
549 Posts
dagummit said:
I am not a engine guy (although desperatly trying to learn all I can), but I am a computer guy who works in the field (networks, routers, switches, servers, firewalls, etc..etc..) and if it is remotely the same technologies involved...why doesn't someone turn to the hackers of the IT realm to break this thing...I bet Kevin Mitnik could find a way into it... Am I totally off here?
One reason (probably more then one) A PCM is like computers we have in a few respects that it has a processor, bus, etc... but what really separates it from regular PCs is that the programming language is completely different. I am not sure what they use to program PC's but with PCMs they more then likely are using C++ or some custom in house programming language just for their application (more then likely the case). Hence the reason why it is a big MFer to hack. The companies like SuperChips essentially have to reverse engineer the thing to figure out how it spider webs through the car and what the different inputs and outputs on the bus are being interpreted as to the PCM and then what if does with that data. No easy task indeed....but I do applaud SC for pushing forward since there is a market for these things like you wouldn't believe.

Later

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Took my R/T to the dyno today. Only mod is forza-flow mufflers..no resonators. Had to remove fuses #30 and #17 to disable all the traction controls. Max Power was 249.4 HP and Max Torque was 305.2 at the rear wheel. Of course, the speed limiter stopped the test at 127mph which was at 3500 rpm. Test was run in 4th gear, manually shifting up to that point. Once the programmers come out I am going to run again. Will download printout when my printer decides to work properly.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Becuase in the above cases, you are not altering the factory software programming.
What's illegal about altering software you own?
What could be illegal about selling an alteration to a program or software?

I am no copy right lawyer but, it would seem to me that there would be no Copy Right Infringement as long as you are selling just an alteration and not a copy of the original software. Now I would think that selling a copy of DCX?s software with alterations may be illegal. Not the alterations themselves.

Now if someone was to build computers that ran copies of DCX's software without paying royalties. That would be Copy right infringement.
This is just my limited understanding of how it works.

I would really like to know what the actual true is. So anyone that can elaborate, please do.
________
AMAZING*****

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The deal with regular computer or server software being altered is that you can't alter, say, a Microsoft XP OS and repackage it and sell it on your own. Each of those software titles has many patients and copyright labels protecting it many different parts of it.

As far a someone going into XP and say, writing a program ( or script) to be able to delete the IE shortcut off of the desktop is perfectly legal. They could sell it all day long.

This goes the same as the DCX ECM. Companies like SuperChips aren't rewriting the ECM and tagging it as their own, they are braking the code down and fixing and deleting what they want and then pushing that script (program) out. What they create is theirs. Catch my drift?

As far as us owning the software as in Microsoft, Adobe, or whatever, WE DO NOT OWN THE SOFTWARE that we buy in the stores, etc. WE OWN A LICENSE to use the software. The disks that we by are physically ours, but the programs that are on them are logically the software vendors intellectual property. This is what made Bill Gates so damn rich. He convinced IBM way back in the day for him (Bill) to keep the rights of the software and only sell licenses to use it. IBM with all thier wisdom thought he was a nut job and told him that it would be the actual computer making the money, not the software...And 90 billion dollars later...you get the point.

As far a Mitnik not caring for this since it is a car, you are missing the point of what a hacker (or cracker) is. It doesn't matter a damn bit if the guy cares about it or not, it is can it be broke? You honestly think that the people who hack the some of these off the wall websites give a sh!t about them? No, they want to be able to tell others that it was broke. Keep in mind that most hackers, and almost all the great ones, didn't do it for financial gain, they did it for prestige within thier little click and bragging rights basically.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The deal with regular computer or server software being altered is that you can't alter, say, a Microsoft XP OS and repackage it and sell it on your own. Each of those software titles has many patients and copyright labels protecting it many different parts of it.
As far a someone going into XP and say, writing a program ( or script) to be able to delete the IE shortcut off of the desktop is perfectly legal. They could sell it all day long.

This goes the same as the DCX ECM. Companies like SuperChips aren't rewriting the ECM and tagging it as their own, they are braking the code down and fixing and deleting what they want and then pushing that script (program) out. What they create is theirs. Catch my drift?
That is what I was trying to say Thanks.
As far as us owning the software as in Microsoft, Adobe, or whatever, WE DO NOT OWN THE SOFTWARE that we buy in the stores, etc. WE OWN A LICENSE to use the software.
As far as I know, there is no licensing agreement on any of my purchasing paperwork.
I will look through the owner?s manual but I do not believe there is anything in there.

In any case, I don't plan on selling a script or a program. But I will buy one as long as its from a reputable business.
________
Wiki vaporizer

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
My first thoughts from this thread.

This would require two things: A computer geek and a Charger. Sounds like oil and water.

Then I realized that I'm a computer geek who owns a Charger.

Self revelation can be scary sometimes :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts