Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in flint an i went to the back to the bricks car show an cruise this weekand an thay had a dyno setup 40$ fr 2 pulls so i got my car dynoed an it pulled 301 hp to the wheels an 345 torque. at 171 mph. mods are airaid intake diablo 93 cai tune an striaght piped..my friends charger is a 08 daytona with long tube headers electric cut outs intake slp1 cat back 390 gear custom made gear i guess. an a supercharger. vortech i think. anyway the shop that installed this all couldnt tune it so they sent it to levernoise performance to be tuned an thats who dynoed my car also an they said his car pulled 388 hp at the wheels. that sound about right? seems to me with the mods he has it should be higher. i would be major pissed if i spent all that money an got 87 more hp then what i have now. im happy with what my car did tho lol. they said a 09 charger with my mods can almost pull what 06-08 cars pull supercharged like 350 to 370 at the wheels. wich sucks wish i had a 09.. with 08 tail lights tho lol

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is done to your car blacksax1 to have the power numbers you have?

·
Registered
934 Posts
what is done to your car blacksax1 to have the power numbers you have?
Just a jetchip I got off ebay. j/k j/k j/k hahahaha

FRI p/p heads, FRI sidewinder, FRI underdrive pulley, p/p throttle body, CMR, AFE stage II, JBA full system, 180 thermo.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
the tune is junk,
the motor is on its way out,
or the dyno just plain reads low.

you cant compare 2 dyno numbers from different dynos,

you should goto Livernois MS and see how your car puts down on that dyno before you can make any kind of comparison.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is your car an R/T? That number does not seem correct. I know someone who got his supercharged V6 magnum on dyno and he is at 303 to the rear wheels. I think you should try a better dyno

·
Registered
155 Posts
The rear gear will make it dyno lower then a stock rear gear.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the gear makes it have diff numbers? didn't know that. the charged charger might have 15000 miles on it so i don't see why the motor would be on its way out already but possibility.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I only dynoed 290WRHP with similar mods to the OP. It was a hot ass day but ya

·
Registered
942 Posts
I put down 319/354 on a Mustang dyno. Mods are AEM Brute Force and straighpipe w/ reso'd tips(cats still in place). It was a VERY hot day in a closed shop, but the car was very cool when it hit the dyno.
Most of the guys w/ similar mods to you were puttin down similar numbers as what I did.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only dynoed 290WRHP with similar mods to the OP. It was a hot ass day but ya
yeah heat sucks the dyno paper says it was 94 with 60% humidity out side an i was going threw thousands of people to get to the dyno it took 30 min to go half a mile so my car was actually running hot when they dynoed it i asked them to wait a bit befour they put it on but they were in a hurry i guess. i dont have a 180 therm i need to get one. if anyone is wondering why i was going threw so many people go to this site and look at the pics lol backtothebricks.org

·
Registered
155 Posts
PPP's information is ONLY valid with an inertial-type dyno. Livernois has moth a dynojet and a mustang, FYI. And that's not eveing going into losses from heat or a heavier duty aftermarket part. Well, that and many, many, many people report losing horsepower switching gears. I lost 10 HP when I switched from 3.42 to 3.91.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Chiming in as an automotive engineer:

Torque is how HARD the engine or tires are spinning.
RPM is how FAST the engine or tires are spinning.

HORSEPOWER is nothing more than product of the two.

In other words, if you have an engine spinning twice as fast (RPM) but half as hard (torque) as another engine, the power is the same. This is how a little 2.0L Honda S2000 engine can make 240hp like a 3.5 to 4.0L V6.

If you had a steady-state dyno (held at a constant speed), rear gear ratio WOULD NOT AFFECT HORESPOWER READING. A 3.91 would give you more torque and an exactly proportional drop in wheel speed vs. a 2.86 (for a given transmission gear, of course). The 3.91 will obviously up-shift sooner and more often.

HOWEVER, on an acceleration dyno (the big drums in the floor), the engine is accelerating faster in a given gear with 3.91's vs. 2.86's. The engine has some acceleration resistance all by itself, so this shows up. Hence, it'll read as a 10hp drop or so. If you put it at a steady-state load, the 10 hp would still be there.

-

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Chiming in as an automotive engineer:

Torque is how HARD the engine or tires are spinning.
RPM is how FAST the engine or tires are spinning.

HORSEPOWER is nothing more than product of the two.

In other words, if you have an engine spinning twice as fast (RPM) but half as hard (torque) as another engine, the power is the same. This is how a little 2.0L Honda S2000 engine can make 240hp like a 3.5 to 4.0L V6.

If you had a steady-state dyno (held at a constant speed), rear gear ratio WOULD NOT AFFECT HORESPOWER READING. A 3.91 would give you more torque and an exactly proportional drop in wheel speed vs. a 2.86 (for a given transmission gear, of course). The 3.91 will obviously up-shift sooner and more often.

HOWEVER, on an acceleration dyno (the big drums in the floor), the engine is accelerating faster in a given gear with 3.91's vs. 2.86's. The engine has some acceleration resistance all by itself, so this shows up. Hence, it'll read as a 10hp drop or so. If you put it at a steady-state load, the 10 hp would still be there.

-
awesome post.
never seen anyone break down exactly why, and being of the mechanical(HVAC) engineering mindset myself, that makes perfect sense.

i see youve joined recently and im glad to see another brain join the party :)
need more of that since i dont use my brain too much on the forums as it is!

·
Registered
56 Posts
No problem. I've thought about a good way to explain it over the years, and this is the clearest way I know. Once people understand the basic relationship, everything else makes sense.

Also:
Peak torque is where the engine has the most amount of air in it at any given instant of time, irrespective of engine speed.
Peak horsepower is where the engine has the most amount of air flowing through it. That is why you take torque (air at any instant) times RPM (number of times it takes in this air per minute) to get horsepower.

·
Registered
431 Posts
All you guys talking about Livernois, where are you located? I went to Livernois Motorsports for my tune earlier on this month and they totally boned me. 325rwhp and 349rwtq with the mods I have just doesn't seem like they did a very good job with the tune. ugh..

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
To the OP, if you're friend has the Vortech S/C, I'm wondering why he's not running their tune.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Honestly your looking into the dyno numbers to deep. Dyno's for most people are just a tool to find out hp/tq gains from mods. The superchargered car makes more power and torque than your unless something is wrong with his car.

·
Registered
942 Posts
All you guys talking about Livernois, where are you located? I went to Livernois Motorsports for my tune earlier on this month and they totally boned me. 325rwhp and 349rwtq with the mods I have just doesn't seem like they did a very good job with the tune. ugh..
There's either something wrong with your car or they didn't tune it right. You put down 6 hp more and 6 tq less then I did with just CAI and straightpipe. A cam and a tune should put you well over that amount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts