Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. Just wanted to post some dyno results I had done this evening. Now this was the legit dyno where they remove the rear wheels to measure. I have a Magnaflow Catback system and Mopar CAI, and I came out at 301.4rwhp. I'm guessing that's pretty good, and so did the dyno guy. He says from his experience stock platforms with the 5.7 are doing about 280rwhp. So, looks like from those 2 mods I'm getting 20rwhp more on the wheels. On to the next mods. My next plan is to try a stage II jet chip(controversial I know) and then I'll dyno again and post the results, then headers, and third dyno. Hopefully my posts will be useful to others.

jweland
Charger R/T w/Road & Track Perf. Package
Brilliant Black Crystal
Mopar CAI
Magnaflow Catback system

·
Registered
549 Posts
What do you mean remove the rear wheels to measure? I have never heard of a dyno that you had to do that on.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the guy who runs the dyno shop said that when you take your car in for emissions and they run all four tires on that machine, there's a bit of error, when with a rear wheel sports car, he removes both rear wheels and hooks them up to the dyno machines(one on each side). Sorry, if I sound lame, but I'm learning about this too. The rear axle was basically hooked to the two dynos, and the imputs just came through as he did several runs. Hope this helps. Cost about $85.

jweland
Brilliant Black Crystal
Mopar CAI
Magnaflow Catback system

·
Registered
549 Posts
Must be some new dyno machine since I have never seen one like that before. I would think that those results would be a little off since you are not talking about rolling resistance but more of what the power is just at the rear axle and not the rear wheels which most people like to know.

Later

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have seen these machines. They are more accurate due to the math for the tires is now subtracted out of the equation as well.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah but wouldn't they be showing a false reading as far as rolling resistance is concerned? I would think you would want that in the equation so you know what the real hp is at the ground.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
seen this type of dyno for dyno testing AWD cars... as a traditional dyno does not work too well then 2 of the drive wheels are on the ground... :D

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hey JweLand - How did you manage to get beyond the speed limiter on the dyno? Or is that worked around somehow without rear tires??? My dyno, as mentioned on a previous post, stopped at 127mph when the limiter cut in and the engine decelerated. Just curious how it got around that. I could use the info to find a different dyno...like the type you used. Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DAYTONA_R/T said:
seen this type of dyno for dyno testing AWD cars... as a traditional dyno does not work too well then 2 of the drive wheels are on the ground... :D

Yes, but from a rear wheel drive car, it's showing the accurate amount of horses produced at rear wheel level. Either way, since he's tested stock Magnums, 300's, and Chargers just recently, my point was illustrating the gains from catback systems and cai's. I had called around, and it seems the dynos that hook the rear up are supposedly one of the more accurate ones. Even if numbers vary a little, it won't be more than 4-5hp, and I was just sharing so others could see the gains from HP, and CAI. Looking forward to seeing any jet chip improvements, and especially header gains.

jweland
Brilliant Black Crystal
Mopar CAI
Magnaflow Catback system

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HIGH_HEMI said:
Hey JweLand - How did you manage to get beyond the speed limiter on the dyno? Or is that worked around somehow without rear tires??? My dyno, as mentioned on a previous post, stopped at 127mph when the limiter cut in and the engine decelerated. Just curious how it got around that. I could use the info to find a different dyno...like the type you used. Thanks.

He actually did a run in 4th till the govenor kicked in at exactly 140, and it did not pass that. I actually thought the govenor was 145, but was mistaken. Nothing from disabled the govenor though. Where do you live HIGH_HEMI? If AZ, I can send you to the guy who did mine. I was very impressed with the way they did it. Watched the whole time.

jweland
Brilliant Black Crystal
Mopar CAI
Magnaflow Catback system

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
jweland said:
He actually did a run in 4th till the govenor kicked in at exactly 140, and it did not pass that. I actually thought the govenor was 145, but was mistaken. Nothing from disabled the govenor though. Where do you live HIGH_HEMI? If AZ, I can send you to the guy who did mine. I was very impressed with the way they did it. Watched the whole time.

jweland
Brilliant Black Crystal
Mopar CAI
Magnaflow Catback system
what shop here in AZ did you go to?

Also, you have the Road and track package.... high hemi does not... hence why he tops out at 125 and you top out at 145

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I live in Georgia. (Just got back a week ago from 3 months in Tucson working) The 145 is interesting as my limiter cut in at 127. hmmm, I wonder if the wheels on the dyno drums were having some sort of affect on the limiter. I doubt it, but can't think of any other reason for it. I'll just have to shop around here for that type dyno. Thanks for the info J.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
HIGH_HEMI said:
I live in Georgia. (Just got back a week ago from 3 months in Tucson working) The 145 is interesting as my limiter cut in at 127. hmmm, I wonder if the wheels on the dyno drums were having some sort of affect on the limiter. I doubt it, but can't think of any other reason for it. I'll just have to shop around here for that type dyno. Thanks for the info J.

hey HH... read my last post as to the limiter... :D

oh... and what are you doing in Tuscon without letting us know so we can meet up and chat over 20% off Hooters lunch.... :D

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Got it......thanks. My dyno cut at 127mph registering 249.something and still climbing at cutoff. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Oh yeah, I was in a company POS Chevy Classic and no internet at work. Very little internet at the Airport Holiday...a communal one. Ya just don't know how much I missed my Charger while I was there. :cry:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DAYTONA_R/T said:
what shop here in AZ did you go to?

Also, you have the Road and track package.... high hemi does not... hence why he tops out at 125 and you top out at 145
Hey Daytona, I went to
Xxact Dyno
Address: 738 S Perry Ln, Tempe, AZ 85281
Phone: (480) 829-1919 ask for Tim

Have you topped yours out Daytona? Curious to see what you got? I haven't topped mine out yet. I did get to 135 on a straight away outside in the rural areas outside of Florence, but had to slow down due to running out of road. I did however see Tim take it to 140 then the engine cut out(well, wouldn't go past that). Hope this helps. Since we live in the same town, we should meet up sometime because I'd love to check out the full Daytona. Only seen one, but it was being driven out of a dealership a month or so ago. Take it easy.

jweland

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
jweland said:
Hey Daytona, I went to
Xxact Dyno
Address: 738 S Perry Ln, Tempe, AZ 85281
Phone: (480) 829-1919 ask for Tim

Have you topped yours out Daytona? Curious to see what you got? I haven't topped mine out yet. I did get to 135 on a straight away outside in the rural areas outside of Florence, but had to slow down due to running out of road. I did however see Tim take it to 140 then the engine cut out(well, wouldn't go past that). Hope this helps. Since we live in the same town, we should meet up sometime because I'd love to check out the full Daytona. Only seen one, but it was being driven out of a dealership a month or so ago. Take it easy.

jweland
AZCHARGER, GoManDaytona, and myself are usually at the Pavillions on Saturday nights... not sure if I will be up there this weekend though, as I might have to head up to Greer Saturday/Sunday....

Fastest I have had mine thus far is only 115/120ish... and that was just north of Escondido, California last friday(going past the immagration checkpoint).... I was just keeping up with traffic in the middle lane and still getting passed... LOL....

here locally only took her to 100... but that was because I only had 400 miles on my Daytona before my SoCal trip.... and only done a run to the grocery store with it since I got back...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool. I'll send you a message by tomorrow with my e-mail, and maybe we can all meet up some Saturday. Would be interested to see the mods you guys have. Till then, take care.

jweland

1 - 20 of 24 Posts