Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I am new here and don't have a lot of knowledge with engine mods. I have a friend that has a 04 Cobra that puts over 500hp to the wheels and it will sit you back in the seat when he punches it. So I have some envy towards him (lol... :happy: ). I could ask him all of this stuff, but I would like to hear it from Charger owners first...

I have read a lot on this forum all night long (literally all night). I think I have OCD with this new Charger R/T of mine. My question is if the following mods will cause any engine damage whatsoever or void any warrenties that I have (I got the 7 yr/ 100,000mi deal).

- Cold Air Intake? (I need some recomendations please...mopar?) Can anyone list a webpage also?

- DynaTech headers/ exhaust? (http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/dynatechstore/dodge_magnum.html)

- Performance chip? (again, reco's?)

What kind of HP gain am I looking at? I don't want to tear my engine up in the long run.

Will the DynaTech headers and exhaust make for much sound difference than the curent stock exhaust?

Sorry to ask such novice questions, but I have to learn somewhere and what a great bunch of teachers to learn by!

If anyone needs has any computer/ networking questions, I can do just about anything in that field...but that is for a different forum I guess..

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I looked a little more into the DynaTech parts and they seem to be drag and not everyday performance. I just would like to increase the "hum" and give it a little extra HP...again, without tearing the engine up in the short/ long run. Besides, I still need it to pass emissions standards, etc.

Any alternative ideas for this portion of my original post?

·
Registered
202 Posts
damn, i really like that header system. too bad it doesnt seem to be street legal. with more and more states in the process of adopting CA emissions laws, thats my main concern. headers wont really have an effect on engine longevity but it looked like that system had 2 cats and i think the charger has 4. so-dirtier exhaust gasses.

buuuuuut since OBD-II emissions testing consists of running a test to check for codes and not a tail pipe test, you could, theoretically, get away with that system.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Of The Moonlight said:
damn, i really like that header system. too bad it doesnt seem to be street legal. with more and more states in the process of adopting CA emissions laws, thats my main concern. headers wont really have an effect on engine longevity but it looked like that system had 2 cats and i think the charger has 4. so-dirtier exhaust gasses.

buuuuuut since OBD-II emissions testing consists of running a test to check for codes and not a tail pipe test, you could, theoretically, get away with that system.
The only state that I know of in which long tube headers (these Dynatechs are long tubes) are illegal is California. Check your local area, but I am sure it would be legal for most folks to install these. Even in California short tube headers (Gibson comes to mind) are legal, but those do not give the the overall performance gain that long tubes do. (Mind you, the difference is noticable, but not drastic. So if you have to worry about the legal issue and want header performance by all means get yourself some shorties).

Correct, header have no effect on longevity other than the driver might possibly drive harder due to the presence of extra power! :whistle:

As for the cats, the charger only has two, in a similar position as the picture of the Dynatech set shows. They are up near the collection point coming out of the exhaust manafolds. What the Charger has 4 of are mufflers (3 actually). There is one large 2-in, 2-out suitcase sized muffler aft of the transmission, before the rear differential. Coming out of this are two pipes going up and over the rear axles and to the back bumper where two smaller "resonator" mufflers kill any drone and perform the final quieting of the exhaust sound.

Hope this clarifies for you.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
dagummit said:
Hello there. I am new here and don't have a lot of knowledge with engine mods. I have a friend that has a 04 Cobra that puts over 500hp to the wheels and it will sit you back in the seat when he punches it. So I have some envy towards him (lol... :happy: ). I could ask him all of this stuff, but I would like to hear it from Charger owners first...

I have read a lot on this forum all night long (literally all night). I think I have OCD with this new Charger R/T of mine. My question is if the following mods will cause any engine damage whatsoever or void any warrenties that I have (I got the 7 yr/ 100,000mi deal).

- Cold Air Intake? (I need some recomendations please...mopar?) Can anyone list a webpage also?

- DynaTech headers/ exhaust? (http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/dynatechstore/dodge_magnum.html)

- Performance chip? (again, reco's?)

What kind of HP gain am I looking at? I don't want to tear my engine up in the long run.

Will the DynaTech headers and exhaust make for much sound difference than the curent stock exhaust?

Sorry to ask such novice questions, but I have to learn somewhere and what a great bunch of teachers to learn by!

If anyone needs has any computer/ networking questions, I can do just about anything in that field...but that is for a different forum I guess..

Thanks!
Welcome and congrats on your new toy!

Where exactly in VA are you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts