Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm a new owner of a 2007 Charger Daytona 5.7L and I went to get emissions today and it failed the NOx test everything else was within limits. Limit was 1 and it got a 4.5. The car was pretty heavily modified when we got it and it purrrs like a lion so no complaints there.

I don't know all the work that has been done to the car but this is what I know.

K&N CAI
Dynatech Headers
Dynatech Midpipes
Dynatech Exhaust
Pretty sure it has an upgraded cam as well from the roar of the engine.
It does have Hi-flow cats on there from what I can tell.

Is there any info that anyone could give me on how to get this car to pass emissions? I've read lots of posts on the Dynatech mostly people talking about CEL and stuff like that. This one doesn't have any CEL or any problems just can't get it to pass.

1. Does Dynatech make a little less aggressive Cat that would bolt up?
2. Is there anyone in Northern Colorado that has a PCM that we could de-tune it to run less lean?
3. Could I bolt a stock exhaust up to those headers just for emissions purposes?

I apologize if this has been discussed before I did a lot of searching on the subject but nothing that really fit my situation. :/

Thanks in advance!

Mike

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What do the tail pipes look like? All sooty and black? High NOx is from the engine running too lean. But temporarily running lean can be caused by the engine beginning to get hot. Were you idling a long time before they did the test? Do you know if the car was tuned? Your downstream O2 sensors might be turned off too. A lot of time when people install high-flows they tune out the downstream O2 sensors. This would explain the sooty tail pipes and no CEL. It's really hard to say what is causing it, man. Have you taken a look at the catalysts? Maybe they are gutted and not just high flow? And to answer one of your questions, yes, a set of OEM catalysts should bolt right in place. Most shorties have been designed to bolt right up to the OEM mids. You might want to try that first. Or at the very least, peeking down into the mids to see what you're working with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do the tail pipes look like? All sooty and black? High NOx is from the engine running too lean. But temporarily running lean can be caused by the engine beginning to get hot. Were you idling a long time before they did the test? Do you know if the car was tuned? Your downstream O2 sensors might be turned off too. A lot of time when people install high-flows they tune out the downstream O2 sensors. This would explain the sooty tail pipes and no CEL. It's really hard to say what is causing it, man. Have you taken a look at the catalysts? Maybe they are gutted and not just high flow? And to answer one of your questions, yes, a set of OEM catalysts should bolt right in place. Most shorties have been designed to bolt right up to the OEM mids. You might want to try that first. Or at the very least, peeking down into the mids to see what you're working with.
The tail pipes are sooty, The car probably was driven for 5 minutes to get over there then sat in line waiting for about 20 the car wasn't running the whole time though.

I don't see any O2 sensors on the exhaust at all looking under it. Also the cats are there and seem to be solid doing the tap test and not just hollowed out. I checked out the OEM cats and I couldn't believe they are like $700 a piece... Might as well just change out the whole exhaust considering I need 2 of them.

Thanks for the reply, I think this weekend I'll pull the exhaust and see what is going on. Maybe some universal larger cats will help.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
So no O2 sensors at all? Your car definitely has a custom tune on it then if you don't have any CELs. Did it come with a handheld tuner? If it didn't that sucks because you aren't going to be able to use one if you decide to buy one yourself. It will recognize the custom tune and lock you out. The previous owner should have sent the handheld tuner with the car.
Anyways, good luck on passing emissions. I'd definitely be interested to hear what solved your problem, so I hope you report back.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hey all, I'm a new owner of a 2007 Charger Daytona 5.7L and I went to get emissions today and it failed the NOx test everything else was within limits. Limit was 1 and it got a 4.5. The car was pretty heavily modified when we got it and it purrrs like a lion so no complaints there.

I don't know all the work that has been done to the car but this is what I know.

K&N CAI
Dynatech Headers
Dynatech Midpipes
Dynatech Exhaust
Pretty sure it has an upgraded cam as well from the roar of the engine.
It does have Hi-flow cats on there from what I can tell.

Is there any info that anyone could give me on how to get this car to pass emissions? I've read lots of posts on the Dynatech mostly people talking about CEL and stuff like that. This one doesn't have any CEL or any problems just can't get it to pass.

1. Does Dynatech make a little less aggressive Cat that would bolt up?
2. Is there anyone in Northern Colorado that has a PCM that we could de-tune it to run less lean?
3. Could I bolt a stock exhaust up to those headers just for emissions purposes?

I apologize if this has been discussed before I did a lot of searching on the subject but nothing that really fit my situation. :/

Thanks in advance!

Mike
If you have high NOx I'd be looking at the EGR system operation. Have you removed or de-activated the EGR? Did the right header have a provision for the EGR port at the front near the #2 exhaust port?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Engine was probably cooler than intended operational temperature and therefor running rich in openloop. Make sure vehicle is at 195 temp and let her idle as you wait to burn any fumes. You want it hot not cold.

The tail pipes are sooty, The car probably was driven for 5 minutes to get over there then sat in line waiting for about 20 the car wasn't running the whole time though.

I don't see any O2 sensors on the exhaust at all looking under it. Also the cats are there and seem to be solid doing the tap test and not just hollowed out. I checked out the OEM cats and I couldn't believe they are like $700 a piece... Might as well just change out the whole exhaust considering I need 2 of them.

Thanks for the reply, I think this weekend I'll pull the exhaust and see what is going on. Maybe some universal larger cats will help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have high NOx I'd be looking at the EGR system operation. Have you removed or de-activated the EGR? Did the right header have a provision for the EGR port at the front near the #2 exhaust port?
The EGR valve is still there, I pulled it apart it appears operational. The second time I tested I ran the piss out of it and also added some Octane booster... It failed again but this time they also failed the cats saying they aren't EPA approved. So I plan on ordering some Magnaflow EPA approved cats and hopefully can slip mount them like the current Dynatech cats so I can easily switch em out.

Just need to figure out where I can order some of those dynatech 4 bolt flanges so I can weld em up. Anyone know where I can get them for a decent price?

·
Registered
626 Posts
The EGR valve is still there, I pulled it apart it appears operational. The second time I tested I ran the piss out of it and also added some Octane booster... It failed again but this time they also failed the cats saying they aren't EPA approved. So I plan on ordering some Magnaflow EPA approved cats and hopefully can slip mount them like the current Dynatech cats so I can easily switch em out.

Just need to figure out where I can order some of those dynatech 4 bolt flanges so I can weld em up. Anyone know where I can get them for a decent price?
Could you define "operational"? If you remove the EGR valve and run the engine is there an audible exhaust leak from the EGR port on the head? (block off the EGR tube port on the intake when doing this) Can you actuate the EGR valve with a scan tool and stall the engine? Is the OBDII EGR system monitor present and listed as "Ready" or "Complete"?

And technically, relocating the cats is not EPA approved. Magnaflow ones may be "EPA approved" but altering the location, as with long tubes, isn't legal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Could you define "operational"? If you remove the EGR valve and run the engine is there an audible exhaust leak from the EGR port on the head? (block off the EGR tube port on the intake when doing this) Can you actuate the EGR valve with a scan tool and stall the engine? Is the OBDII EGR system monitor present and listed as "Ready" or "Complete"?

And technically, relocating the cats is not EPA approved. Magnaflow ones may be "EPA approved" but altering the location, as with long tubes, isn't legal.
Well my mechanic friend and I pulled it and actuated it he said it was fine, I took his word for it. As far as the location and the actual cats they passed that even though they looked under it for a long time and it's clear there are no O2 sensors under there. haha

I'm still having problems, it failed again after tweaking the things we could think of. Also took it to the dealership who is obligated to buy the car back because it won't pass. However I love the charger and the way it runs. Plus I got it for a steal really.

Anyone want a highly tuned Charger for a good price? I don't want to dump a bunch of money in it on the dice roll it will pass and I don't want to return it to the dealer cause it's worth way more than I paid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts