Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating between a standard body Scat Pack with the Dynamics Package and Adaptive Suspension vs. a Widebody Scat Pack.

On paper, they seem similar in that they both get the 6-piston Brembos, flat bottom steering wheel, adaptive suspension, and wider tires (albeit 275's vs. 305's). I know the Widebody has different suspension tuning, but does anyone have first hand experience with regards to how differently they actually drive?

I realize the Widebody can fit wider tires, but I believe on the 9.5" wheels that come on the Dynamics Package, I can upgrade the rears to 295's so probably not a ton of difference between 295 vs. 305 I'd imagine. On the fronts, however, I believe 275 is as wide as you can go without rubbing on the standard body. Not sure how big a difference 275 vs. 305 makes for the fronts.

The way I'm looking at it, it's $3k additional for the Widebody vs. the Dynamics + Adaptive Suspension, and I'm wondering if there's an actual functional difference, or whether it's really more aesthetics.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Didn't you go through this already in a previous thread? Heh, how long do you plan to agonize over the purchase of a car???

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'd say get the Widebody it goes way beyond aesthetics. Isn't it demonstrably faster around a road course? That isn't all tires. If you wanted the 6 pot brembos and the adaptive suspension anyway I think it is a no brainer to go widebody.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I'd say get the Widebody it goes way beyond aesthetics. Isn't it demonstrably faster around a road course? That isn't all tires. If you wanted the 6 pot brembos and the adaptive suspension anyway I think it is a no brainer to go widebody.
If he actually plans on using it for that.

Id go widebody just for the looks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I’ll be using the car as a daily driver, mostly family car duty and commuting into San Francisco for work whenever that resumes.

Possibly may see a few track days, but that’d be the exception, rather than the norm. My other car is a 2005 STI riding on full coil overs and upgraded sways so that would probably be a better choice for a road course, although I could see trying my hand at drag racing with the Charger.

I’m not sure how much of the widebodys improved lap times were simply due to the added grip from the 305s vs the stock 245s - curious to know how big that time gap would’ve been even if they had swapped the stock 245s for decent 275s and kept all else equal, or even compared it against a Scat Pack with the dynamics package.

That said, I test drove a friends SRT 392 with the 6 piston brakes and really liked the reassuring pedal feel they provided. So, that and the fact that the 9.5” wheels from the dynamics package would some with 275s stock is a big bonus (plus I could upgrade the rears to 295s on the stock wheels). Otherwise, the plan would be to swap the stock 245s for 275s on day 1.

I guess I’m wondering more from a spirited driving perspective, whether the upgraded suspension from the widebody is worth the extra $3k. I’m coming from a BMW 335 as my daily, so looking to see if the widebody makes the car feel more nimble than the standard one. The SRT 392 I drove felt good, for its size, but there was no denying it felt like a big car.

In terms of aesthetics, I’m not sure I prefer it over the standard body, and parking in San Francisco is tight as it is so the additional 3.5” of width certainly wouldn’t help.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
No decision is a decision and that's where you're at, and have been at for the last couple of your threads. So I would pass on a Charger.

·
Registered
612 Posts

Yeah I hear you that argument can be made for anything really. You can't "use" 400 hp 500 hp 700 hp why do you need it etc?

I think a good suspension on a daily driver is more useable/noticeable daily. When people ask for bang for the buck mods especially on 2006-2010 Charger I'd always say upgrade the sway bars and look for a take of set of SRT suspension (shocks/struts). Every time you take a turn or an on ramp you'll notice that difference.

We could all drive 4 cyl Camrys if you take that argument all the way to the ground. I don't go to the track or drag strip but I'm glad I have the 5.7 because it puts a smile on my face.

If he's already decided on getting a Scat pack with the 6 pot brembos and the adjustable suspension I think the extra $3,000 for the widebody is well spent, 8 years from now I bet that used widebody still commands $3,000 more than a regular scat with same options and miles. Very few options really hold value on the used market, while it might be great to have the Plus group or Dynamics package they will depreciate way more than the widebody package.

I predict in 2025 when you're looking at used Scats a non-widebody that stickered for $52K will go for $31k and a widebody that stickered for $52k will go for $34.5k with same mileage.

·
Registered
2020 Charger SXT Plus AWD - Frostbite/Black
40 Posts
I predict in 2025 when you're looking at used Scats a non-widebody that stickered for $52K will go for $31k and a widebody that stickered for $52k will go for $34.5k with same mileage.
I predict in 2025 that kyoung05 will still be wondering if he should get the Scat Pack or the Widebody or the Dynamics Package or the Technology Group or the 275 tires or the 305 tires or will the Power Dollars go away or should he order a new one or wait for a leftover

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I predict in 2025 that kyoung05 will still be wondering if he should get the Scat Pack or the Widebody or the Dynamics Package or the Technology Group or the 275 tires or the 305 tires or will the Power Dollars go away or should he order a new one or wait for a leftover
Haha I hope you’re wrong but wouldn’t be 100% surprised if you’re not...

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Sooner or later you have to buy something and I'd go Widebody all the way! Dynamics is three grand less but then you're gonna change tires? Forget that. The Widebody is the in demand car now anyway and if you need to dump it, the resale will be there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Haha I hope you’re wrong.
This is your life ticking away..

Assuming you have the finances to comfortably afford either option, which one of these cars/options would you look back on with fond memories towards the end of your life?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is your life ticking away..

Assuming you have the finances to comfortably afford either option, which one of these cars/options would you look back on with fond memories towards the end of your life?
I just placed an order for the car, and ended up going with the standard body Scat Pack with the Dynamics package + adaptive suspension. If cost were completely not a concern, I might've chosen differently, but as I started to build out the car, I had to weigh whether the incremental cost of each option was going to be "worth it" to me, and ultimately, had the draw the line somewhere. Otherwise I probably could've justified the costs all the way up to a Hellcat. So, I feel like given what the car will be used for, I still get most of what I'd want with the Dynamics Package, while still saving about $3k in cash. If the stock 275's seem inadequate, I can always upgrade to better tires or even put 295's on the stock rears, and that should help.

As I mentioned, in terms of looks, I was indifferent, and as a practical matter, the widebody would have probably been worse to live with so I don't feel too torn up about it. In any case, these next ~6 weeks are going to be long ones as I constantly check for status updates on the car!

Thanks again to everyone that provided their input - much appreciated!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just placed an order for the car, and ended up going with the standard body Scat Pack with the Dynamics package + adaptive suspension. If cost were completely not a concern, I might've chosen differently, but as I started to build out the car, I had to weigh whether the incremental cost of each option was going to be "worth it" to me, and ultimately, had the draw the line somewhere. Otherwise I probably could've justified the costs all the way up to a Hellcat. So, I feel like given what the car will be used for, I still get most of what I'd want with the Dynamics Package, while still saving about $3k in cash. If the stock 275's seem inadequate, I can always upgrade to better tires or even put 295's on the stock rears, and that should help.

As I mentioned, in terms of looks, I was indifferent, and as a practical matter, the widebody would have probably been worse to live with so I don't feel too torn up about it. In any case, these next ~6 weeks are going to be long ones as I constantly check for status updates on the car!

Thanks again to everyone that provided their input - much appreciated!
Congrats... I still think the widebody was the way to go but I understand your reasoning. I just think of all the options you got on the car, the widebody is the only one that is sure to retain its value. If you keep the car 3 years or 10 years it will still be worth $3k more than the exact optioned car without the widebody plus you'll get the benefit the entire time.

What color did you get and what were all the options? Assume you got the Plus Group and the Driver Convenience to go with the Dynamics and Adaptive Suspension? That's a nice way to option the car and sticker is $48,570 before discounts and rebate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Congrats... I still think the widebody was the way to go but I understand your reasoning. I just think of all the options you got on the car, the widebody is the only one that is sure to retain its value. If you keep the car 3 years or 10 years it will still be worth $3k more than the exact optioned car without the widebody plus you'll get the benefit the entire time.

What color did you get and what were all the options? Assume you got the Plus Group and the Driver Convenience to go with the Dynamics and Adaptive Suspension? That's a nice way to option the car and sticker is $48,570 before discounts and rebate.
Thanks, I detailed my build in another thread, but in addition to the Dynamics Package and Adaptive Suspension, I also got the Plus Package, Technology Package, Driver Convenience Group, and Power Sunroof. The color is Go Mango. My dealer offered 4% below invoice off the bat, and was able to lock in the Power Dollars rebate. MSRP on the build was $51,760. My net price after the $4,850 rebate and $1,000 from my credit union should bring it down to $41,538.48, before TTL. I'm guessing it'll be right around $46k OTD.

I don't doubt the Widebody will retain its value, but from what I've seen, Scat Packs in general seem to hold their value very well, so I'm not too concerned with resale. For me, this car was really an opportunity to own one of what I think will be the last naturally aspirated 6.4L V8's that will be readily available. I've only ever owned 4 and 6-cylinder cars outside of a short sprint with my father in law's procharged Mustang GT, so this should be a welcome departure. So, since I'm not planning on getting rid of it anytime soon, the additional resale value of the various options was kind of a moot point for me. At the end of the day, to me, it was $3k saved that I can use towards a new short block for my STI once it blows, or towards tint, ceramic coating, etc. on the Charger once I take delivery.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I read in your other thread you optioned it out at $51,760 MSRP. I didn't even know you could option a non-wide body Scat Pack to cost $51k . Sounds nicely optioned. Should be a blast to drive after you pick it up..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read in your other thread you optioned it out at $51,760 MSRP. I didn't even know you could option a non-wide body Scat Pack to cost $51k . Sounds nicely optioned. Should be a blast to drive after you pick it up..
Yea, the options add up quick. The base MSRP without anything is just about $42k, so $2k here, $3k there, and soon you're quickly crossing the $50k threshold. Luckily, the rebates and other savings kick in to bring the price back down to a more reasonable level.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Lancaster Dodge RAM in PA has a 2020 octane red Scat non widebody listed at $55k right now.

The widebody is a neat feature, but there is no way I could justify that cost for a 392. The widebody may retain a bit more value than a used Scat, but in 5 years from now when the widebody fad is behind us, I really don't know who's going to be interested. Then again, the "murdered out" cars are still out there than began with the 2012 black "blacktop package" cars.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts