Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting my rear spoiler DuraCoated and wanted to know if anyone has ever used Duracoat on their vehicles. I am doing it because I am going for a Black and White motif for my Charger (Stone White with Black side decals, black Daytona style honeycomb grille, a black spoiler after it is duracoated, and black 20's when I save up the money). The black and white setup is my main reason why I want to do this, but also, more seriously, is the fact that I am seeing air bubbles within the clear coat of my factory spoiler. It is also turning yellow in small spots by the bubbles and I also see a few small chips on the spoiler. The stealership will probably blame daily driving on the spoiler paint screwing up and not repair it so I figured I'd get it painted over. My boss recently got his .50 Cal elephant gun DuraCoated and suggested I get my spoiler done if I wanted it to be a flat black color. The guy that did the gun for my boss said that he can do it. He said that he will sand down the spoiler, duracoat it, and then add a clear coat on it to protect it from the elements. Do you guys think that this is a smart idea or not worth the risk? Thanks.*

· Registered
13,100 Posts
I would think Duracoat would be a lot more expensive than regular spraypaint. You could also check out a vinyl wrap for it. ;)

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of a vinyl wrap for it but the small chips on the spoiler would show up on the wrap. Right now they are only noticeable up close because the spoiler is white but they would probably be more defined in a vinyl wrap

· Registered
1,344 Posts
If you want that super flat look, maybe even go with a bedliner type spray. I did my Bronco with Duplicolor bedliner in a can and it comes up super flat black. Has a bit of texture to it (might look just like Plati dip up close not sure).

Cheap, easy and if it chips, easy to repair.

I would never do it on my Charger, but to each their own...

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my spoiler Duracoated and it looks great! It took the guy about 2 1/2 weeks because they had to wait on a UV proctectant to come in for the spoiler. He said he put about 6-7 coats on the spoiler. It looks just like the Daytona spoilers and cost less than $290 for the coating. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is what my spoiler used to look like when the paint was messing up:
Text Map Line Technology Parallel

Automotive lighting Light Automotive design Headlamp Lighting

Photograph Wildlife Deer Snapshot Photography

Sky Mountainous landforms Cloud Sunlight Atmospheric phenomenon

Atmospheric phenomenon Ceiling Plaster

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And now this is what she looks like with the Duracoated Spoiler!
Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Automotive design Luxury vehicle

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part Hood

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.