Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay dont get me wrong, I do love the general lee, but I am not making a new interpereration (alotught the one on EBAY could have been way better). However I am about to imbark on desiging a design based on a few ideas off here, and lots of my own to meld the old Charger to the new, and one thing I have been looking for b/c I love the look, is the General Lee rims, but I would like to find ones that could be custom made. Meaing machined to match the look but designed to the size of my current R/T rims. Just looking for designers who do this and cost on customizing them to match style and new rims.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
PLEASE let me know what you find out! I have been looking for something like this since I saw the debut of the new Charger. I would LOVE to have a set of those rims. Maybe with a polished lip and leading edges of the "spokes" (I'm not sure what you call them), and then painted black in the pockets? Or polished throughout? Either way would be cool, I think.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Some background information:

http://www.hazzardretreat.com/buildageneral.asp

The General Lee features American Racing "Vector" rims that had 10 spokes and were all aluminum. The vectors are no longer in production by American Racing but it isn't too hard to find the originals or clones on Ebay. One thing to note is that Buick has a rim from 1985 that looks like the vectors but the bolt pattern is different than what your Charger is going to need. You may still be able to use the Buick rims if you re-drill the holes or use an adapter. When looking on Ebay for rims, be careful as many will be advertised as "General Lee rims!" but will have 20 spokes.

The standard for a first unit General Lee was 14inch vectors (14x7) and occassionaly 15x7 on the back and 14x7 on the front. It is typical to find 15x8.5 vectors used on replicas which give the wheels a wider look.

And a little more info:

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/05HMN515609005.html

The correct American Racing Vector rims were media blasted and powder coated black. Then all surfaces were lathed and then the rims were clearcoated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply, I guess I don't want the exact replicas, I am more looking for a new take on itto the point that how the Daytonas, I beleive, are machined alumminum, with black pockets. Basically applying that same look into new machined ones for the charger that I could just replace the huge tires I have now, because from my undertanding the current rims are much larger than the old school ones. Over the next few months I am laying out my plans to resemble an old school Charger with those rims. I will post pics over the next few months on my plans.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ChargerSXT said:
How goes the effort?
Nothing so far, I am going to try to cantact some prefabbers and see about adapting the american racing tires, I love these rims. See how they look on my mockup plans

1 - 8 of 8 Posts