Charger Forums banner

Dude What Is Up?!?!?!?!?

2K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  ZchargerZ 
#1 ·
ok, so i put flowmaster super 44's on my car a couple months ago with 3 inch pipes, and everyone said they would give the loudest meanest sound i could get away with, but the only loud sound i get is the d@mn drone, it dousnt bother me or anything, but whenever its outside of that 500 rpm range it hardly sounds like anything, what could be causing this? i mean yea i know with our cars u have to do headers an mids an cai and stuff to get a real muscle car sound, but its down right embarassing sometimes, my old car was an 03 vette that i saved for a long time and dumped some serious cash into(that was when my car was my only bill, didnt pay rent yet :grin: ), but it had the same engine size as my r/t and even when i only had exhaust on it, it sounded like something outta satans @$$hole when i would get on it, i mean roaring like all hell, what should i do to get outta this delima??? eventualy im gonna get headers and everything i can of course, i just cant afford anything right now, but is thier a chance that something could be wrong with the mufflers? im so puzzled and sad about this, i just turned 20 and i had to save up for a damn long time to get the exhaust, for it to not sound like anything special :(

#2 ·
cmon guys, please help me :alien:

#3 ·
Are you still running the factory resonators?

#5 ·
um, to be honest i dont even know what resonaters are :smoke: :grin: haha, but i dont think so, i put my car on a rack after to examin the job, makin sure everything was welded properly and stuff, and all there is from the flowmasters back is pipes

ps. are resonaters the things that makes the cab noise qieter? ive heared of people having stuff like that, and what would they look like if i had em?

#4 ·
Aftermarket exhaust tend to have drone due to the MDS on the R/T'S. Try driving in autostick to get rid of it, as far as I'm aware the only aftermarket exhaust that doesn't have drone is zoomers.

#6 ·
yea, but its not the drone that bothers me, its the fact that my car dousnt sound like it has exhaust when its not droning, i mean to someone that hasnt heared the before and after it sounds like it could practicly be stock, the only time i catch people looking is when its droning, and if its the mds that makes it sound sh!tty like this, is thier some way to disable it, cause im getting pissed enough to not care about saving a couple miles per gallon, i just want it to sound like a car with that engine size should

#7 ·
wow, 60 views, and 2 comments haha, im goin crazy in anticipation over here guys :dead:

#8 ·
you need high flow cats, or remove the cats, also the manifolds are crap. There really isnt anything you can do at this point. The car has an x-pipe which works best with a straight-through design muffler, your chambered muffler sounds best with an h-pipe. Also, the standard 40 series would have been the one to get for all-out loudness.

#9 ·
ah, yea i figured the cats would make a big diff, thanks for the responce by the way. oh and exactly what manifolds are you talking about? and i dont think i have an x or an h pipe, cause isnt that between the cats and mufflers? from what i remember everythings just straight back, from the stock headers

#10 ·
bro get some exhaust cutouts. either manual or electric. I had the stock exhaust on my R/T with dual manual cut outs and with those things open I would be willing to bet it would be louder than your old vette. The drone sucked so bad though I had to use auto stick whenever they were open. do a search, I'm sure you can find some video, but ask anyone who heard my old RT and they will tell you it was LOUD!!!! oh yeah and it only cost me 100 bucks installed!

#15 ·
Drone is the near buzzing noise a certain rpm ranges. Due to a lack of insulation and dampaning material in our cars, this is more noticable on aftermarket exhaust where the resonators are removed.

As for the weak sounding mufflers..... somethings not right. Did you verify the part numbers to make sure the installer didnt put a more restrictive exhaust on? My v-6 sounds mean with its magnaflow.

#21 ·
check and make sure the resonators were deleted. they are located torwards the back of the exhause right before the tips.

#23 ·
nobody answered my Q about resonaters b4, what exactly are they? and what do they look like, and whats thier purpose?haha, i have no clue :) thanks for the help tho

#22 ·
you should add a 7 inch fartcan and a spoiler. No drone if you do that :)

#24 ·
oh haha, for sure doin that mod, are those the mufflers you get from wal mart? or was it target, i always get so confused:grin:

#25 ·
I think they are at advanced auto parts, in the tuner section, right next to hubcap spinners and blue turn signal bulbs.

#28 ·
this would be called a bump.

#31 ·
very cool indeed. makes total sense. ima visual person ;) the only thing that slighly scares me about ALL cutouts is that with the Y in the pipe for the cutout, it will cause turbulence in the airflow and slow down teh exhaust stream. i work with airflow for a living(air conditioning design for an engineering firm) and that just really sticks out in my head about em, as far as possible performance loss

#32 ·
not gonna lie, with them open, you lose alot(most) back pressure causing the car to be very sluggish from 0-50 but after it hits 50 she really wakes up and you can feel the power again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.