Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the Hemi R/T the other morning, I quess about 75 degrees and it sounded like an old Ford motor with a lifter clattering for a couple seconds till oil reached it. I have about 9500 miles on the car. The car did sit for 3 days not being started. This has never happened before and hasn't happened since. What do you think happened? Has this happened to any of you guys? I am now thinking of going to 5W30 oil. I am in South Louisiana and the temp rarely ever drops below 40 degrees in the winter. I bet I could get away with heavier oil. The 5W20 is like water! I don't like that,can't provide much protection. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I started the Hemi R/T the other morning, I quess about 75 degrees and it sounded like an old Ford motor with a lifter clattering for a couple seconds till oil reached it. I have about 9500 miles on the car. The car did sit for 3 days not being started. This has never happened before and hasn't happened since. What do you think happened? Has this happened to any of you guys? I am now thinking of going to 5W30 oil. I am in South Louisiana and the temp rarely ever drops below 40 degrees in the winter. I bet I could get away with heavier oil. The 5W20 is like water! I don't like that,can't provide much protection. What do y'all think?
What kind of oil filter are you using? Some filters have pretty crappy anti-drainback valves in them. Try a wix filter (Napa Gold is also Wix).

Also, are you using synthetic oil? If not, that might help as it will pump better on a cold start-up and quickly reach the valvetrain.

I wouldn't switch to 5W-30. That might cause funkiness with your MDS system and reduce your gas mileage.

Best,

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of oil filter are you using? Some filters have pretty crappy anti-drainback valves in them. Try a wix filter (Napa Gold is also Wix).

Also, are you using synthetic oil? If not, that might help as it will pump better on a cold start-up and quickly reach the valvetrain.

I wouldn't switch to 5W-30. That might cause funkiness with your MDS system and reduce your gas mileage.

Best,
I use Wix 51515. No synthetic. Regular Castrol oil. Yes it's alittle late to convert to the 5W30 now with winter coming. Might wait to try that next summmer. Or switch now and keep track of mileage and other oddities.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I use Wix 51515. No synthetic. Regular Castrol oil. Yes it's alittle late to convert to the 5W30 now with winter coming. Might wait to try that next summmer. Or switch now and keep track of mileage and other oddities.
I thought the Wix P/N for our cars was 51085

Are you using a larger capacity filter?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Yes have been since 1st oil change. I think many others here do the same.
I've been thinking about doing that as well. There was actually a guy writing in about using a larger filter on a 3rd gen hemi in Mopar Action Magazine about this.

They say to use the Wix 51535 (big block applications), and don't say anything about the 51515.

It was in the December 2007 issue. (is it a quarterly magazine?)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been thinking about doing that as well. There was actually a guy writing in about using a larger filter on a 3rd gen hemi in Mopar Action Magazine about this.

They say to use the Wix 51535 (big block applications), and don't say anything about the 51515.

It was in the December 2007 issue. (is it a quarterly magazine?)
51535?? Not even close. Check this Wix link out-http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51535

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I started the Hemi R/T the other morning, I quess about 75 degrees and it sounded like an old Ford motor with a lifter clattering for a couple seconds till oil reached it. I have about 9500 miles on the car. The car did sit for 3 days not being started. This has never happened before and hasn't happened since. What do you think happened? Has this happened to any of you guys? I am now thinking of going to 5W30 oil.
I don't get the logic... you say the Hemi clatters at startup because of dry lifters but you want to go with a heavier oil? The lighter oil gets to the rest of the engine faster.

BTW, I compared a NAPA Gold filter with a DCX filter and the DCX filter has some sort of a contraption visible at the bottom of the filter in the center, when looking from the top. Is this the anti-drainback valve? If so, the NAPA's don't have it. (and my car hasn't clattered at startup all summer with this filter, even after sitting for over a week while I drove other cars).

There have been complaints by some owners here of a rattly sound shortly after startup which appears to come from the A/C hardware. Maybe that's what's going on here?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't get the logic... you say the Hemi clatters at startup because of dry lifters but you want to go with a heavier oil? The lighter oil gets to the rest of the engine faster.

BTW, I compared a NAPA Gold filter with a DCX filter and the DCX filter has some sort of a contraption visible at the bottom of the filter in the center, when looking from the top. Is this the anti-drainback valve? If so, the NAPA's don't have it. (and my car hasn't clattered at startup all summer with this filter, even after sitting for over a week while I drove other cars).

There have been complaints by some owners here of a rattly sound shortly after startup which appears to come from the A/C hardware. Maybe that's what's going on here?

I am not concerned about how fast the oil gets to the lifter-in this case even though that is important,what i am concerned about is keeping the oil in the lifter(staying pumped up) even if the lifter is on the lift of the cam lobe therefore compressing the lifter until next start up. There will always be some lifters on some part of the lift of the cam lobe.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I am not concerned about how fast the oil gets to the lifter-in this case even though that is important,what i am concerned about is keeping the oil in the lifter(staying pumped up) even if the lifter is on the lift of the cam lobe therefore compressing the lifter until next start up. There will always be some lifters on some part of the lift of the cam lobe.
That doesn't make any sense. 0W oil can keep a lifter pumped up. The key is to GET the oil TO the lifter as quickly as possible. Using heavier oil isn't going to fix what you were complaining about. I suspect the problem is really the filter combined with a delay in getting oil from the sump up to the valvetrain (which synthetic oil will help). The anti-drainback valve is just a nitrile rubber "flap" that is supposed to keep the oil from backflowing through the filter. Your filter might just be defective. I'm using the Napa Gold part# FIL1085:

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...&PartNumber=1085&Description=Oil+Filter+(Gold)

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers,

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That doesn't make any sense. 0W oil can keep a lifter pumped up. The key is to GET the oil TO the lifter as quickly as possible. Using heavier oil isn't going to fix what you were complaining about. I suspect the problem is really the filter combined with a delay in getting oil from the sump up to the valvetrain (which synthetic oil will help). The anti-drainback valve is just a nitrile rubber "flap" that is supposed to keep the oil from backflowing through the filter. Your filter might just be defective. I'm using the Napa Gold part# FIL1085:

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...&PartNumber=1085&Description=Oil+Filter+(Gold)

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers,

If ALL the lifters bleed down,I don't care what type of oil or oil filter you are using, ALL the lifters would clatter till the oil reached the them. There would never be instant oil to the lifters. So in my case,one of the lifters bleed down and then stopped clattering after oil reached it. Syn. oil will not help this. I think heavier will be retained better in the lifter than water-thick oil.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
If ALL the lifters bleed down,I don't care what type of oil or oil filter you are using, ALL the lifters would clatter till the oil reached the them. There would never be instant oil to the lifters. So in my case,one of the lifters bleed down and then stopped clattering after oil reached it. Syn. oil will not help this. I think heavier will be retained better in the lifter than water-thick oil.
See the great thing about syn oil is even when it "drains" off a part it still leaves nice coating of oil on it so that it has some protection until oil flow can get up to it.

As far as the filter type goes... I really couldn't tell ya. I was just passing along information. I will definitely check that website out.

UPDATE:

So I crossed checked one of the other brand filters they call out and you are right it is the 51515. My sincerest apologies. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See the great thing about syn oil is even when it "drains" off a part it still leaves nice coating of oil on it so that it has some protection until oil flow can get up to it.

As far as the filter type goes... I really couldn't tell ya. I was just passing along information. I will definitely check that website out.

UPDATE:

So I crossed checked one of the other brand filters they call out and you are right it is the 51515. My sincerest apologies. :)
Yes the Wix filter you said it was was for Bulldozers or something??

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Yes the Wix filter you said it was was for Bulldozers or something??
The magazine screwed up pretty good. I just sent the guy who does the Q&A for them an email letting them know.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Alright so the 51515 filter nearly exactly the same in spec to the 51085 but it has a much lower burst PSI.

What does this mean? Is it talking about peak oil pressure and the filters inherent strength to that oil pressure?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Note to original poster: another member on here had a problem with some of his MDS lifters, which caused MDS to "come on" when it shouldn't, at idle (and I think it was at startup too). Might want to do a search for that. The diagnosis was some failed lifters, replaced on warranty.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
5w-20 is the only weight oil to be put in the 5.7 multi displacement engine, regardless of seasons, winter or summer...follow manufacturers instructions...thats whats required

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
5w-20 is the only weight oil to be put in the 5.7 multi displacement engine, regardless of seasons, winter or summer...follow manufacturers instructions...thats whats required
X2, and get some Royal Purple and a K&N HP2004.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright so the 51515 filter nearly exactly the same in spec to the 51085 but it has a much lower burst PSI.

What does this mean? Is it talking about peak oil pressure and the filters inherent strength to that oil pressure?
It means just that, the pressure at which the filter will burst open!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Can some of this clatter be considered normal? I have a 6.1 and notice it for the first second or two sometimes on cold starts - meaning car is all the way cooled down. Anyone else notice it?

Eric

1 - 20 of 25 Posts