Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was raining hard today here in Tampa, and my neighborhood street had about 4 inches of water. I figured I would be okay, but after about 15 feet, my car stalled and would not start back up.

What am I looking at damage-wise? Should I just wait until tomorrow to see if it will start back up?
Dave

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Funny.. I was just wondering how well or poorly our cars did in deep water. The end of my street floods every time it rains.

When I was young, a friend had an AMC gremlin. That car would stall if someone spit on the road. It apparently had the distributer mounted below the engine and once the points were wet, that was it.

I had hoped that our cars would be pretty good in water. But I always crawl like a baby in any puddle so that water does not splash up into the engine compartment. In a car, all puddles are no wake zones for me.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When I tried to start it back up, it just "clicked" and wouldn't do anything else. Just called the dealer... they say I need to have it towed in... great...:dead:

Just tried to start it after waiting about a half hour. It tried to turn over, but wouldn't. I'm going to let it sit overnight and try it again tomorrow. I'll keep yall posted.

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
do nothing else! Get this to a mechanic right away. There is a chance you have hydrolocked the engine. If so, your insurance may cover the damage, but the warrantee probably won't. It's kinda like running into a tree. That kind of damage isnt covered, but get it to a technician as soon as you can.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I made an appointment for tomorrow morning to have it towed it.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
did you drive slow or hydroplaned thru? I had something like this happen with my 94 camry. I hydroplaned and my car started shaking like its about to choke out and die but it didn't it just kept shaking and was not accelerating. Turned out the plugs got all wet and dirty, and had to be cleaned and dried out. Everything was good after putting the plugs back in.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
were you expecting pontoons to pop out like a James Bond movie??

Sorry to hear about the breakdown, hope it is simple to fix

Tom

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going around 20-25mph through it. When I got out to push it up the street, the water was barely over my ankles. It's weird, and it kinda worries me. Sometimes there are puddles on the side of the road down here that are like that, and for this to stall that easy is scary...

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
were you expecting pontoons to pop out like a James Bond movie??

Sorry to hear about the breakdown, hope it is simple to fix

Tom
Haha, if not, I wonder if the insurance company will pay to replace the engine with one of them PPP 426s :grin: ...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Check the engine's oil.... if the engine is messed up youll see chocolate like oil, if not, the engine probably protected itself.two months ago I damaged my cirrus 1999 engine thanks to water, somehow these cars have their air intakes way below and it just sucked up a lot of water.... end result?
new engine for my 1999 cirrus

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Haha, if not, I wonder if the insurance company will pay to replace the engine with one of them PnP 426s :grin: ...
If it calls for an engine replacement you can always have the insurance company cut you the check for the work and pay the difference for a 426 instead. Remember they'll give you the money for the labor and parts. If you can get a hookup on the labor you may have no out of pocket expense. Minus your decuctible of course

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I did OK...

Here in the 'burbs of Chicago I had no choice but to drive through, realistically, about 8 inches of water yesterday on three occasions. Memories of how my '71 Skylark used to die in high humidity had me very nervous, but the General went through that water like his namesake went through Georgia.

To the OP:

Is your belly pan in place? Do you have an after-market intake?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To the OP:

Is your belly pan in place? Do you have an after-market intake?
No am intake, interesting play on the belly pan. After pushing it, and later going out to test start it, the belly pan is hanging on by a screw. Hmmm, I did hear a thump as I was driving through. I bet that was the plastic popping off.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Sounds like you may have gotten hydrolocked: the engine sucked in enough liquid water to prevent the pistons from completing the compression stroke, since liquid water is (nearly) incompressable. It could have caused damage such as broken piston/connecting rod/crank and more...

Good luck to you! :( I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
if you suspect hydrolock check to see if your air filter is wet if it
hasn't been to long. even if it dried out there should be a water line
or some evidence it was wet.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pulled the air filter this morning. It was still dripping wet. There was a lot of condensation in the pipe that lead up to the engine... I am still waiting for the tow truck to show up. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I was going around 20-25mph through it. When I got out to push it up the street, the water was barely over my ankles. It's weird, and it kinda worries me. Sometimes there are puddles on the side of the road down here that are like that, and for this to stall that easy is scary...
That isn't nearly deep enough to get into the intake. Are you sure there wasn't some sort of solid object under or floating in the water that took out some vital wiring or something of that nature? Looking at your later message saying there is water in the airbox is a bit worrysome though. That shouldn't be possible in shallow water like you described.

Best,

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think that there was something wrong with my belly pan up front because it was hanging on by 1 screw. I think it may have acted like a scoop as I drove through the water and it splashed enough up there to stop the engine. It tried to turn over last night, so I am hopeful.

Anyhow, here are some pics I was hoping I would never see :(

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee268/readydave/

Haha, even on a tow truck, she looks awesome!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts