Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So over the last 2 days i have experienced "limp" mode both 1 and 2 (or so i read) , it was GREAT driving and all of a sudden being stuck under 3k rpm or stuck under 50MPH (or whatever the number is).

So far the weather here in PA where i live has been wet,very wet. We got snow today (dec 11th) but none of it stuck and just made the roads wet, i recently also got all weather tires i thought would be decent in the winter since its all my all year around vehicle.

I removed my tune when it started getting cold since i was getting 14MPG and that wasnt making me happy, i now get 16...anyways!

Recently started going into limp mode when either cruising through a turn and accelerating out of it, or accelerating and then making a turn.

The codes it throws is VMM 419 (ABS), and thats it. The only other thing i noticed is my battery voltage is between 14.0 and 14.5 while driving, is that a normal voltage?

Please note i'm not really a "car guy" , i'm an IT professional so semi simple is good :D

EDIT: It is a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Your voltage is good. Since this happens on turns, it sound like you have steering angle sensor issue that is triggering the ESP to intervene. Do you see a dash light when it happens?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your voltage is good. Since this happens on turns, it sound like you have steering angle sensor issue that is triggering the ESP to intervene. Do you see a dash light when it happens?
Thanks for the swift reply, i dont see any dash lights and no chimes occur.

I usually notice when i turn off my music and i hear my exhaust sounds different (how i realized it the first time my girlfriend said my car sounded different) and i pulled to a red light and after attempting to accelerate i realized it was "sluggish" and not accelerating as quickly as usual and so i gunned it and i went absolutely, no where....RPM's halted at 3 ish K.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
What year is your car?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoops! Sorry it is a 2006 dodge charger R/T

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Try this first and let us know if anything changes...

Electronic Stability Program (ESP)

If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) needs to be calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:

1) Start the engine.
2) Center the steering wheel.
3) Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.
4) Center the steering wheel.
5) Stop the engine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try this first and let us know if anything changes...

Electronic Stability Program (ESP)

If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) needs to be calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:

1) Start the engine.
2) Center the steering wheel.
3) Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.
4) Center the steering wheel.
5) Stop the engine.
I will give it a try tomorrow before i head to work, although i have no disconnected the battery any time recently that i can remember nor any of the EPS components but hey ill try anything. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that seems to have done it for now, it happened yesterday 3 times while driving before i did the calibration, twice after a turn and once going straight on a highway. All 3 times there was no indicator light on the dash nor chime so im not sure about all that.

But for now it seems to be running how it was, thanks so much!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well....scratch that, went back into limp mode not less then 45 minutes ago. I came to a very quick and sudden stop and when i went to accelerate again i was hitting 3k RPM and barely reaching 10MPH.

Any suggestions?

The roads were dry, its cold out, but i dont think i lost traction and still no ABS light or chime.

This didnt happen ANY time before it started getting really cold, the only other change is my tune is removed and i have all weather tires.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Ok, you need to do the key trick and see if you have any codes stored. This is a bit unusual since true limp mode is usually accompanied by a check engine light. It also won't clear itself until you shut the car down and restart.

My other question is have you had your transmission fluid level checked recently?

I'm still a bit suspicious about the SAS so I'm going to do a little research...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, you need to do the key trick and see if you have any codes stored. This is a bit unusual since true limp mode is usually accompanied by a check engine light. It also won't clear itself until you shut the car down and restart.

My other question is have you had your transmission fluid level checked recently?

I'm still a bit suspicious about the SAS so I'm going to do a little research...
The levels were checked, within the last 6 months or so, i took my car in to my mechanic and asked him to look everything over after my last accident and top off ALL fluids and change ANY parts he feels should be replaced. He said there was a paint drop mark on the transmission but not on the pan or cover he said.

What is the key trick for me to try this evening before i head out to take my other half to the store :p

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The levels were checked, within the last 6 months or so, i took my car in to my mechanic and asked him to look everything over after my last accident and top off ALL fluids and change ANY parts he feels should be replaced. He said there was a paint drop mark on the transmission but not on the pan or cover he said.

What is the key trick for me to try this evening before i head out to take my other half to the store :p
Here is the key trick to get the codes...

Display OBD-II Trouble Codes On Cluster (Works with or without EVIC)
(Again, use link below for more detailed information.)
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=12361

1)Get in the car, close the door. Perform steps 2-6 fairly quickly (less than 3 seconds total time). (The key should not return to the OFF position through out the sequence!)

2) Turn key to 'ON' position
3) then back to 'ACC'
4) then to 'ON'
5) then back to 'ACC'
6) then to 'ON'

If there are any stored codes, they will appear immediately, in place of the odometer. For instance an "INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH" error will set a code of P0113.

Once the codes have been displayed, you'll see "-----".
If there are no trouble codes, the dashes will be the first item displayed.
After a few seconds, the display changes to "-dOnE-".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All that was displays was ----- then d0ne.

.....this isn't nice lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the EVIC menu it just shows abs VMM 419 still.

The issue also came back when I stopped semi quickly at a red light when I tried accelerating I hit second gear and was met with a VERY rough shift

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
In the EVIC menu it just shows abs VMM 419 still.

The issue also came back when I stopped semi quickly at a red light when I tried accelerating I hit second gear and was met with a VERY rough shift
Based on everything you are saying and no codes shown, I suspect you need to have the tranny fluid level checked and possibly need the filter and fluid changed. When was the last time the tranny was serviced?

The VMM 419 on the EVIC is just the last chime recorded and not particularly revealing.

Reactions: dxm765

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will have the fluids and filters changed out Tuesday

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I was at the mechanic on tuesday, he had it for the day and this is what was done.

in summery

"Found history code in transmission control module P2767 input speed sensor 2 signal missing"

Any input from anyone?

UPDATE!!!: Pulled out of a parking lot after dinner, instantly went into limp mode, pulled up to a red light, put it in park and restarted the engine. Drove about 2 feet and got a check engine light, i thought it had gone into limp mode BUT through a light, this is a negative, even after restarting the car the check engine light reminained. Tried the trick above to view the codes but was met with ----- then d0ne.

I dropped it off to my mechanic about an hour ago now to be worked on tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any updates on this...I have same issues,no lights, no codes, no warnings, goes into limp mode after about 5-7 miles...sometimes.
when car shut off and back on, resets out of limp. Any advice appreciated.
2006 ChargerR/T 5.7

1 - 19 of 19 Posts