Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drivers side Tie Rod end "popped out"

I have a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona. It just hit 80,000 miles. With very little warning (it made noise 2 weeks ago). I drove to get dinner last night, and when I made a right the whole car wobbled and I felt the car lurch. I picked up dinner and by the time I was driving home the car again wobbled and I lost control. I slowed down to a crawl and was able to get in to the grocery store parking lot. My husband met me there. He drove the car home very slowly and when he pulled in to the driveway the drivers side tie rod end popped out and the wheel turned in.
My question is HOW can this happen to a car that is 7 years old and taken care of, especially with very little warning.
Thankfully we picked up the parts over the weekend to replace it this coming weekend.
I'm also so grateful that it happened when it did. I was on vacation and due to go back to work today. I can only imagine what could have happened had I been driving on the highway at 65-70mph :( ugh

**** Update including a picture of my tie rod end, real nice!! ****

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
The front ends are notoriously weak on these cars.

Yours is not the first to have this happen.

The front ends also have a "clunk" that never seems to go away.

It's easy to replace, make sure they replace both sides!

Mine went around 60k but I didn't let it get as far as you did.

The front suspension is supposed to be inspected every so often for maintenance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front ends are notoriously weak on these cars.

Yours is not the first to have this happen.

The front ends also have a "clunk" that never seems to go away.

It's easy to replace, make sure they replace both sides!

Mine went around 60k but I didn't let it get as far as you did.

The front suspension is supposed to be inspected every so often for maintenance.
I just had the car go through inspection in January. It's strange cause only 2 weeks ago I heard a noise and then it went away. Last week it started again, we bought the parts and was going to replace it this weekend. 3 mechanics didn't detect it.
I've been reading and now know this is an issue.
Both sides are being replaced today. Drivers side is done, next passenger.
Thanks everyone!!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I just had the car go through inspection in January. It's strange cause only 2 weeks ago I heard a noise and then it went away. Last week it started again, we bought the parts and was going to replace it this weekend. 3 mechanics didn't detect it.
Thanks everyone!!
State inspections are not necessarily safety inspections.

One state next to me puts emphasis on looks over safety. No rust allowed, but brakes aren't checked...

·
Registered
145 Posts
The front suspension is supposed to be inspected every so often for maintenance
Yeah I saw that in the manual. You got any tips on checking the suspension? All I know to do is to jack the front in up and check for excess play. I never know how much is too much though...

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 06 R/T has 140k miles needs tie rods every 2 years... Fun times.
I've just added it to my maintenance cycle.

That being said mine have never snapped off.

UncleMike

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds familiar to me. My Daily driver 98 Crown Vic EATS front end parts. Let's see,
Driver side tie rod: changed 4 times.
Pass side tie rod: changed 3 times.
Changed upper and lower ball joints once.
Stablinks once.
Pitman and idler at least once.

Oh and guess what? Just in the last 2 months I've changed an upper ball
joint, a stablink, and noticed that the idler is loose again......

Oh, and just because the new replacement parts come with "grease fitting" ain't NO guarantee that these parts will last longer than the stuff that's being replaced that have no grease fittings!

So, you folks say this is what I'm looking forward to with my 2012 RT???

GREAAAAAAAT!!!! JUST GREAT!!!!!:cry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, you folks say this is what I'm looking forward to with my 2012 RT???

GREAAAAAAAT!!!! JUST GREAT!!!!!:cry:

Let's hope they get their heads out of the backside hole and figure out how to stop this.
I'm just happy my purple people eater is all happy again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine popped out like that too. Luckily I was in a parking lot when it happened. I only had 45K

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Thanks everyone!!
You need to find another mechanic(s). Tie rod inspection is something anyone can do. If your mechanic can't perform this simplest of inspections you really need to find another mechanic.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
To keep this from happening you need to get rid of the sealed for life parts. Once you upgrade to greasable ball joints and tie rods you will have little to no issues as long as you keep them greased

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
So why don't you trade it in for another make of car?

What makes you think I would want to do that?

I own and love plenty of things that aren't perfect.

It's fairly well known the front end on these cars are weak...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts