Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to take a little bit to explain but hear me out.
After the car has been sitting for a few hours. I put it in drive and let off the brake. I get a loud screeching squeal like rubber rubbing against metal or something hard. It will gradually quiet down after a few rotations of the wheel. Brakes are not on. The first time I put my brakes on I get a shimmy and/or pull to the side and the same rubbing squeal. I know its not a worn brake pad noise. The tire is not rubbing on the wheel well either. Also when the car stops I get a click like something is moving or settling. This noise will totally go away after a few stops but I still hear a grinding noise sometimes with and without brakes on and there is a clunk over bumps too. Pads are at 50%. Please ask me questions if you don't understand this. It is very hard to explain. I am worried about driving it and I have to fix this myself because I cant afford to take it somewhere right now. :slap: Some ideas I have are, wheel bearing, or some sort of bushing ? I have no idea but I am hoping you can narrow it down for me or give me some ideas.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Could be your caliper is dragging against the rotor when the brakes are cold. Easy (cheap) thing to try: Remove the caliper bolts, clean them up completely, clean up the bolt pockets, apply some new grease, and reinstall the bolts. Autozone has the grease in little packets for very little $$$.

If that doesn't work and the brakes are otherwise okay, I would pursue the wheel bearing idea.

Lugnut

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok

Thanks. I will look into the brakes. The more it happens the more I think it is the brake sticking. Its just not giving me the normal signs that you would think it would make.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Do you have 30" rims? THat could be why. No jk, I think it's your brakes as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what is was..... What would cause it ?

The inside brake pads on both sides in the front were separated from the metal piece and were just sitting in there loose. :clap::slap:

They were Raybestos pads that I put on in the summer and not worn at all !

What in the world would cause that ????????????:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.