Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the Driver's outside mirror auto-dimming option on a charger ?

Is there a valid DC Part Number for aftermarket installation ?

From the 2006 Charger User Manual
Driver’s Side Outside Mirror Auto Dimmer — If Equipped
The driver’s side outside mirror automatically adjusts for
annoying headlight glare from vehicles behind you. This
feature can be turned on or off by pressing the button at
the base of the Inside Rearview Mirror.
From the 2006 LX Shop Manual:
The automatic day/night mirror system is able to automatically change the reflectance of the inside rear view and outside left mirror in order to reduce the glare of headlamps approaching the vehicle from the rear
I haven't gone through the LX parts list to decipher if there is a P/N for the Charger yet.

...Ben...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yes they are available but it depends on the wiring inside the door. I don't believe any of the Chargers will have the appropriate wiring (or any US LX for that matter) to operate it, though. It is a 12 pin harness plugging into the mirror, the same harness used ONLY for memory mirrors. Maybe the 300C has this, I don't know, but I don't think so. I know exports have this feature, though. The regular harness is an 8 way with only 5 pins in use. Ground, up/down, left/right, defrost, power. On the memory mirror harness, there are many other functions, but pins 8 and 11 are the positive and negative auto/dim feeds. These same wires correspond to 2 of the 5 wires in the inside rearview mirror harness. The inside rearview mirror sends a signal on those lines when it is active and they are fed on to the side view mirrors...when equipped. NOW...you COULD buy the 12 pin harness, buy a 12 pin side view mirror with autodim, and splice it into place, running the positive and negative dim through the door, into the cabin, and tap it onto those lines...but do you really want to? Plus you will have several unused pins that I don't think you will ever be able to rig up. But, the basic up/down, left/right, defogger, ground, and power pins are all on there as their own pins so those functions can be rigged back up and make it work same as it does now. It's just the memory mirror and powerfolding pins that you will probably never rig up because the car just won't support them...but maybe you will figure it out.

The 12 pin harness part number is 5102402AA
the mirrors are another story. I know they are out there and I know their code, but finding a corresponding part number is proving to be a PITA. Any GU_ code mirror has that option, but each one is for a different application. Some are export mirrors with turn signals in them, some have arabic on them instead of "OBJECTS IN MIRROR..." The most promising mirror is code GU5, but it has numerous part numbers, presumably paint codes. You really need to get someone on the inside at Chrysler to find the exact answers. Maybe AthlonDave will help out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they are available but it depends on the wiring inside the door. ...

Wow... quite an undertaking, which is not worth it for me. Interesting to see such nice goodies offered overseas, but not in North American market.

I had this feature in a rental car in Europe and it made highway driving a lot more comfortable at night. Even a simple (Manual ?) dim on/off option would be nice. But I still don't think I would go through the trouble of wiring it myself.

...Ben...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts