Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all im new. Bought an 06' RT that was partially swapped to an 07' SRT8. im finishing the swap and was wondering if its possible to have a srt8 drive shaft with a differential from an RT!? The drive shaft coupling has 4 bolts like the srt8 but i know for a fact that the differential is from the old RT. I bought new hubs and axles for the srt8 model. The new axles dont fit in the differential and i tried the old axles with the new hubs and they dont fit either. The new parts are beefier and have more splines than the old parts. So again is it possible to have the srt8 driveshaft (4 bolt) on an rt differential (supposedly 3 bolt)? T.i.a.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Hey all im new. Bought an 06' RT that was partially swapped to an 07' SRT8. im finishing the swap and was wondering if its possible to have a srt8 drive shaft with a differential from an RT!? The drive shaft coupling has 4 bolts like the srt8 but i know for a fact that the differential is from the old RT. I bought new hubs and axles for the srt8 model. The new axles dont fit in the differential and i tried the old axles with the new hubs and they dont fit either. The new parts are beefier and have more splines than the old parts. So again is it possible to have the srt8 driveshaft (4 bolt) on an rt differential (supposedly 3 bolt)? T.i.a.
Sorry its 06' and 07'
Ah ok. Possible yes, but based on personal experience you don't want that R/T rear behind SRT power. Hell, you don't want a stock 06-08 SRT rear behind SRT power lol. Had an 06 R/T that I initially swapped a same year 3.06 rear (stock is 2.82 btw) into....loved to snap axles on launch (doesn't have mechanical limited slip). Get a Getrag.

First question, did you swap the SRT trans in (4 bolt flange) or do you still have the R/T trans (3 bolt flange)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not too sure. I will have to check the flange on the trans half. The rear half of the shaft is 4 bolt flange. Thats whats confusing me. I thought the 2.82 diff was a 3 bolt flange. And the 3.06 a 4 bolt flange.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah ok. Possible yes, but based on personal experience you don't want that R/T rear behind SRT power. Hell, you don't want a stock 06-08 SRT rear behind SRT power lol. Had an 06 R/T that I initially swapped a same year 3.06 rear (stock is 2.82 btw) into....loved to snap axles on launch (doesn't have mechanical limited slip). Get a Getrag.

First question, did you swap the SRT trans in (4 bolt flange) or do you still have the R/T trans (3 bolt flange)?
I Also bought a used 3.06 diff from a used auto parts store near me. I believe its stock from an 08 magnum, are those nag1s or getrags!? Im new to the mopar scene. So im unfamiliar with alot of parts.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I Also bought a used 3.06 diff from a used auto parts store near me. I believe its stock from an 08 magnum, are those nag1s or getrags!? Im new to the mopar scene. So im unfamiliar with alot of parts.
NAG1 is the 5sp auto trans. Getrag is the later rear differential. The one you have, if from an R/T & 3 bolt flange is a 2.82 ratio 210mm, if from an SRT that year & 4 bolt flange is a 3.06 ratio 215mm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NAG1 is the 5sp auto trans. Getrag is the later rear differential. The one you have, if from an R/T & 3 bolt flange is a 2.82 ratio 210mm, if from an SRT that year & 4 bolt flange is a 3.06 ratio 215mm.
Yes i know the differences from the rt and srt. Wasnt sure about nag1 and getrag. I most likely purchased the nag1 then. Will be double checking tomorrow when i pick up at the shop. And will check to see if the whole driveshaft is 4 bolt flange. Which i hope it is.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Yes i know the differences from the rt and srt. Wasnt sure about nag1 and getrag. I most likely purchased the nag1 then. Will be double checking tomorrow when i pick up at the shop. And will check to see if the whole driveshaft is 4 bolt flange. Which i hope it is.
Read my last post again. NAG1 is the transmission; you are going to have a NAG1 no matter what. Getrag is a rear differential, totally different than the NAG1. Don't confuse the two. I highly doubt you had to choose between buying a NAG1 and a Getrag lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️😅😅😅🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤣😂🤣😂

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Read my last post again. NAG1 is the transmission; you are going to have a NAG1 no matter what. Getrag is a rear differential, totally different than the NAG1. Don't confuse the two. I highly doubt you had to choose between buying a NAG1 and a Getrag lol.
Is it possible to use another differential!? From the newer model chargers!? I think ill need an adapter of some sort i believe. Not sure tho

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Is it possible to use another differential!? From the newer model chargers!? I think ill need an adapter of some sort i believe. Not sure tho
Yes you can.....it's called a Getrag lol. 12-14 SRT Chargers (and 300's) use a 3.06 Getrag, in Challengers they also come in 3.73 and 3.91 flavors. Don't need an adapter, uses the stock 3 bolt flange, just need the correct guibo from the newer car.
Edit: only up though 2014. 15+ use a ZF rear and the rear cradle is different.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
But possible to also swap cradles then everything ZF 15+ can be used.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But possible to also swap cradles then everything ZF 15+ can be used.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yea not tryin to swap cradles lolz. I already have all the rear end parts for this cradle.
Yes you can.....it's called a Getrag lol. 12-14 SRT Chargers (and 300's) use a 3.06 Getrag, in Challengers they also come in 3.73 and 3.91 flavors. Don't need an adapter, uses the stock 3 bolt flange, just need the correct guibo from the newer car.
Edit: only up though 2014. 15+ use a ZF rear and the rear cradle is different.
But i have the 4 bolt flange currently on the rear end drive shaft. Didnt get a chance to see the transmission end. I think they swapped the yolke on the differential from 3 flange to 4 flange.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
They probably didn't even realize you don't have to.....back half of the driveshaft is swappable. That's how early cars swapped back and forth and how older SRT's could use Getrags.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They probably didn't even realize you don't have to.....back half of the driveshaft is swappable. That's how early cars swapped back and forth and how older SRT's could use Getrags.
Yes but rt driveshaft is 3 bolt flange (original) all the way through even the yolke on the differential (2.82) is 3 bolt.
On mine, The rear end of the drive shaft AND differential (2.82) have a 4 bolt flange. Which means the yolke was swapped on the THAT differential (2.82)

Im going to check the whole set up wen i get the old differential out. Im hoping the transmission end of the drive shaft is also 4 bolt flange cuz that means the original RT transmission was swapped to the SRT8 transmission (am i correct!?) And the whole driveshaft was swapped also, not just the rear half.🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

·
Registered
289 Posts
use a 3.06 Getrag....be done with it. If the DS is 4 bolt, the getrag is 4 bolt. Someone may have put the getrrag in that car since you need the back part of the DS for the swap. You can also swap the flange.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
use a 3.06 Getrag....be done with it. If the DS is 4 bolt, the getrag is 4 bolt. Someone may have put the getrrag in that car since you need the back part of the DS for the swap. You can also swap the flange.
The casing is too small to be a getrag. I had mentioned prior that the new axles purchased for a srt8 do not fit into the diff and tried the old axles with the new hubs and they dont fit either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts