·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Are you asking or stating?

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
690 Posts
What the heck is swelling in relation to rotors?

I prefer smooth rotors... slots are ok but we all know drilled is cosmetic and performs at a lower level. This is like asking for a better quality caliper cover... I guess someone could chime in with "higher quality" drilled rotor recommendations.

Most marketers just take the basic rotor and drill holes into it without much regard for performance. My advice is always get the middle of the road grade (or top grade) since they have better coatings on the hat. I like to use police spec rotors they seem pretty durable and resistant to the type of salt I put them thru! Same goes for pads, I don't care about dust but I do want a good one time panic stop high coefficient of friction since I don't track my car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Squealing my bad doing it real bad a lot of people told me to change pads sounds like I have cheap pads. Power stop makes a kits for my car but I don’t know anyone that use them to get any feedback

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think if you do a forum search you can pull up a lot of threads on rotors and pads. Probably enough comments to help you decide.

I would simply recommend that you not only think about what rotors and pads you want, but do you want to have a shop perform the labor or do you want to do the work yourself. You can buy parts and supply them to a shop of your choice to install.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Powerstop rotors and Raybestos EHT pads. The rotors don't have many holes so they don't look like a cheese grater and seem to work better in the wet. I have these rotors on all four of my cars and have never had an issue with any. However, Powerstop's Z23/ Z26 pads flat out suck when cold- almost dangerous the first two or three stops. They are fine once they warm up. I use the Raybestos EHT pads on 3 of 4 cars..grip like a gorilla cold and hot, not much dust.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Powerstop rotors and Raybestos EHT pads. The rotors don't have many holes so they don't look like a cheese grater and seem to work better in the wet. I have these rotors on all four of my cars and have never had an issue with any. However, Powerstop's Z23/ Z26 pads flat out suck when cold- almost dangerous the first two or three stops. They are fine once they warm up. I use the Raybestos EHT pads on 3 of 4 cars..grip like a gorilla cold and hot, not much dust.
All good advice. I personally don't like drilled rotors, but slots work ok. Drilling can weaken them and it actually hurts performance. The rotor is a giant heat sink. If you remove mass from a heat sink, you are impairing its ability to absorb heat.

Best,

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is the part number for your Powerstop Rotors? Plan to change mine out this weekend.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Depends on which brake package you have: SE/SXT (BR3) RT(BR5) Police (BR9) and the 4 piston Brembo all use different ones:

I got mine from Rock Auto

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've used R1 Concepts for rotors. Drilled and Slotted. They do not just drill anywhere and leave the internal vane structure 100% intact.

I use my brakes pretty good and never have had any major signs of cracking or failure. Just good performance.

That being said, brake noise and dust is a side effect of higher performing brakes. If you want quiet and clean then don't expect same level of performance.

·
Registered
697 Posts
When I need to replace, I'll stick with just slotted, like the factory ones. Like has been said, pad selection/choice causes 90% of most brake issues.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
When I need to replace, I'll stick with just slotted, like the factory ones. Like has been said, pad selection/choice causes 90% of most brake issues.
I always liked the Hawk/Porterfield HPS pads for street applications. They grab significantly better than stock, don't dust too badly, and are reasonably quiet. Unfortunately, I don't think they support any of the higher performance applications for the Charger. I think if you've got a V6 or BR5 police brakes, you're fine. If you've got the 4 or 6 pot Brembos, you're SOL.

Best,

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
One of the boxes of Raybestos EHT pads I put on the wifes car came with the instructions for HAWK HPS pads...both Chinese manufactured, I wonder how close they are if not the same pad....

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Just looked, Hawk HPS are a ferro-carbonmix (like Performance Friction pads) while the Raybestos EHT pads are a ceramic- metallic mix.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'm going to revert back to smoothies just to see. I have a set in waiting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As much as I don't like paying top dollar, I've been trending back to factory pads. Never an issue. Many times I've used aftermarket sets, only to be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
That is what my smoothies are, Police BR9 Rotors and the Semi-metallic black nastiness.

I am hard on brakes, but I tell you the PowerStop Z37 TopCop pads have been fantastic and the longesrt wearing and rotor friendliest pad I have ever ran.

The "only draw back" is when cold they are 60% on the first couple stops which can be warmed up pretty fast.

I got my BR9 fronts in the MOPAR Big Brake Kit and purchased the rear setup but had a mishap with Centric shipping me rear calipers with the wrong pistons and they comped me the Stop Tech slots.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts