Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday, I received my '08 R/T (29R). It came with the spoiler factory installed. Is the spoiler on the SRT8 and the R/T just for style or do they make real down force, over the Charger's rear end? If it is just for show, I would not care if the spoiler was in place or not. Do not like cosmetic stuff hanging around on the exterior of de Charger.

Shenandoah

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
You mean more downforce than the already piggy 2 tons you're hauling around? :) I seriously doubt the factory spoiler generates any significant/measurable downforce. It's bling.

Best,

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
If an when I buy a SRT8, I will be posting looking for someone to swap my trunk lid for one that doesnt have the chunky looking(IMO :) ) spoiler.

I would agree that the spoiler is cosmetic. Looking at the design of the trunk lid, with the small lip, it could be argued that the spoiler makes for less down force as it curls down on the edges. The trunk lid is pretty flat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If an when I buy a SRT8, I will be posting looking for someone to swap my trunk lid for one that doesnt have the chunky looking(IMO :) ) spoiler.

I would agree that the spoiler is cosmetic. Looking at the design of the trunk lid, with the small lip, it could be argued that the spoiler makes for less down force as it curls down on the edges. The trunk lid is pretty flat.
"...as it curls down on the edges..." Do you mean on the flanks of the spoiler?
I note that the entire spoiler tilts downward towards the airstream. Is not that supposed to create some down force effect??? I do not know. Something more is needed?

Shenandoah

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Spoilers don't necessarily exist for downforce reasons. If they did, they'd be called something other than spoilers, no? Maybe something cooler like "G-force Blades" or something ricey like that. :)

The term spoiler is probably related to the fact that they "spoil" the airflow as it goes over the car. While aerodynamics is not an exact science in that there are many theories over why things behave the way they do, the jist is that air flow over a bulbous object that is flat on the bottom will generate lift of some sort... the kind of lift you don't want on a moving automobile.

Look at the first Audi TT for confirmation of this... shortly after the car's introduction, too many of the cars were literally flying off the autobahn due to lift at high speeds. The solution? Install a ridiculous-looking small lip spoiler on the sloping rear, a mandatory upgrade for the european models (this fix was available in North America as well but at extra cost, the idea being that there is no place here where speeds could get to the point of seeing this kind of lift on the original body shape).

One of the theories implies that as the vehicle splits the air at speed, the air going over the automobile gets accelerated slightly upward with respect to the air flowing along the relatively flat underbody. Another theory claims the air travelling over the automobile must accelerate in order to make up for the extra distance. Either way... the end result is a supposed vacuum that will eventually lift the vehicle. It's also claimed to cause some drag, due to the vectors not being entirely vertical... there's a horizontal component which will hold the car back somewhat.

Wanna see this in action? Some cars (example: the 1984-1986 Civic 4 door sedan) will actually suck chunks of ice and snow upwards along the back window from the trunk surface, sometimes allowing it to hover mid window at just the right speeds. That's the vacuum working back there.

So the spoiler acts to upset the smooth airflow over the vehicle to control these forces back there. It'll actually have an effect on the overall coefficient of drag!

Anyone familiar with throwing a baseball in a controlled fashion will attest to the effect the uneven stitching has on the ball's behaviour.

Anyone watching a plane wing during landing will see how the spoilers will control the amount of lift the wing is capable of generating, until a full landing where the spoilers deploy 100% and all lift is cancelled even though the plane is still moving quickly. (with the take-off, the wing's shape will actually change to maximize lift if you look carefully at the rear... once in the air, the panels retract and the wing resumes "normal" shape).

Do we need one on our cars? Hard to say. You'd have to test the forces on a spoiler-equipped car versus one without the spoiler, in the same conditions. My guess is purely looks.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i'm a pilot and i've taken a lot of aerodynamics classes, and i'd have to say the spoiler is for show, not function. just think... how much weight could you set on top of the spoiler before it broke? like 30..40? lbs... so theres no way it could generate more down force than it can support. and 30 or 40 pounds isnt very much...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
The spoilers that get me rolling in the aisles laughing are the big Cessna wing looking contraptions some people put on top of the cabs of pickups. :D

Heh....

·
Registered
277 Posts
The spoilers that get me rolling in the aisles laughing are the big Cessna wing looking contraptions some people put on top of the cabs of pickups. :D

Heh....
That usualy for towing a large trailer or a 5th wheel as it diverts the wind up and over the larger trailer instead of hitting the square front a trailer usualy has. Its actually function, if you have a trailer behind it. Then again I wouldnt want to remove/reinstall that huge thing very often!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Last Friday, I received my '08 R/T (29R). It came with the spoiler factory installed. Is the spoiler on the SRT8 and the R/T just for style or do they make real down force, over the Charger's rear end? If it is just for show, I would not care if the spoiler was in place or not. Do not like cosmetic stuff hanging around on the exterior of de Charger.

Shenandoah
This spoiler is functional. It creates down force on rear of car. All ricers don't use them for looks nor does NASCAR. place a envelope on the rear it won't just blow off. All spoilers are not functional,but this one is.(they can also decrease mpg)not because of weight,but because of the drag created.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
On my wifes crossfire, the spoiler activates at 60mph, and at 100MPH has 150lbs of downforce.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
This spoiler is functional. It creates down force on rear of car. All ricers don't use them for looks nor does NASCAR. place a envelope on the rear it won't just blow off. All spoilers are not functional,but this one is.(they can also decrease mpg)not because of weight,but because of the drag created.
I'm interested in your results... how did you come across your conclusions? I'd like to try it myself to see what's up.

For those who don't believe the theory of upward lift at speed, try driving a Trans Am with the T-tops off (preferably a 3rd gen 1982-1992 model, because of the larger tops, but it happens on my '98 as well) and with some loose sheets of paper down on the floor of the rear cargo area, with the cargo "shade" rolled away. At 40-50 mph there is enough vacuum created inside the car to literally suck the paper off the surface it's on, up and over the "gas tank" platform into the forward area of the cabin and up and out of the car. I assume this is why many sunroofs have that little flap that pops up when the roof is slid open.

Happened to me a few times when I was new to the F-body thing, and I'd catch sight of a sheet of paper coming at my head in the rear view mirror and then jump off my seat reaching out of the car in time to catch the piece of paper being sucked out of the car. It's probably worthy of an olympic sport. :)

If it was a case of turbulent air being pushed into the open car, the loose paper would have been pushed back into the hatch area, unable to fly forward and up against the air rushing into the car.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
i'm a pilot and i've taken a lot of aerodynamics classes, and i'd have to say the spoiler is for show, not function. just think... how much weight could you set on top of the spoiler before it broke? like 30..40? lbs... so theres no way it could generate more down force than it can support. and 30 or 40 pounds isnt very much...
LOL! Checkmate...

Spoiler trivia: some cars have actually had lift induced because of spoiler design. For example, see the angle of the spoiler on the 1969 1/2 Trans Am... one would think it's perfectly angled to deliver downforce (especially considering the car's "racing pedigree") but reports have it that engineers realized early on that it was actually inducing lift. Most racing Firebirds of the 1967-1969 era resorted to the Camaro style of spoiler. For 1970+ they wisely went with a more simple design to deal with that sloping rear end.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents, yes in theory spoilers add some kind of aerodynamics, but on our cars the profile is very tall so it does'nt grab enough air. Like some of us that are pilots and have an understanding of the theory of aerodynamics, we know to generate any kind of effective down force the airfoil has to be free of obstructions to include the tall profile of our cars. A good example is nascar those cars are built around areodynamics even at low speeds there's down force. I don't know the exact mph # but I can tell you when i'm at 126 mph the ass end feels light and i really don't like that feeling. There are a number of things you can do to help and the most obvious thing would be a bigger/taller wing. But not every one wants a high performance wing on their charger and it really depends on the type of driving you do.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents, yes in theory spoilers add some kind of aerodynamics, but on our cars the profile is very tall so it does'nt grab enough air. Like some of us that are pilots and have an understanding of the theory of aerodynamics, we know to generate any kind of effective down force the airfoil has to be free of obstructions to include the tall profile of our cars. A good example is nascar those cars are built around areodynamics even at low speeds there's down force. I don't know the exact mph # but I can tell you when i'm at 126 mph the ass end feels light and i really don't like that feeling. There are a number of things you can do to help and the most obvious thing would be a bigger/taller wing. But not every one wants a high performance wing on their charger and it really depends on the type of driving you do.
Instead of adding "wing bling," it might be more useful to lower the car an inch or two (or as the above poster mentions...put it in "clean" air, but that would look pretty ridiculous).

Best,

·
Registered
74 Posts
I remember seeing this topic many times over on the SRT-4 forums a couple years ago. The same arguements were made on both sides over there. I am not an aero dynamic guru, however I have studied this subject concerning automobiles and aircraft in the past. I think our spoiler does serve some function, however It probably does not come into play until higher speeds (100+mph) my 0.02.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If any of you have ever dealt with RC cars, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I had an RC car with an S-10 (chevy truck) plastic body. My RC would hit top speed of about 40mph.

With an RC that light @ 40mph I couldn't really controll the turns. I would crank it to the left but the car would be slow to react, and when it finally did. it would start to drift very easily.

To solve this I put a small "spoiler" on the back of it and a smaller lip on the front.

It made a HUGE difference. At top speed I had full controll of the RC. Turns would be way more reacitve and it would drift far less when entering a turn. This (as far as I could see) was directly related to the spoilers adding a "downward" force to the RC in both the front and rear.

Maybe the spoilers did take away lift like stated in earlier threads, but the fact that my RC would bottom out ALOT more with the spoilers attached leads me to believe that they are indeed adding a downward force and not just taking awa lift. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Those that have the spoiler, does your rear fascia stay cleaner where it juts out from the trunk.

LOL, I can wash my car, and in less than a 10 minute trip to the store, this place is where the dust/dirt starts to settle first.

Having a spoiler for this alone would be nice.

But lets face it, the spoiler is for that sporty look rather than useful function. Even it was a functional thing, who can drive fast enough for any effect?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts