Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do: Read this thread http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=25545 and download the word doc

Don't: try and do it in the dark

Do: Use an xacto knife to cut the wire sheathing... it is awesome for this sort of thing.

Don't: Cut towards yourself as the sweat pours down your face... bad things do happen.

Do: Run the wire through the existing hole... makes life VERY easy

Don't" Get fancy like the illustrated pix did... just did not work for me when I wound the coiled cord around the existing wires.

Do: Use a soldering iron instead of the plastic clip thingees...

Don't: Use the craptastic cold-heat soldering iron... that thing is total garbage. Great if you are hanging from a ladder or something... but for delicate work it blows.

I had seen a link about using the wire from the cigarette lighter and I was all ready to start routing wires around the car. Then I found the headliner power connection link over at LXforums. That seemed like a really good idea to me and it didn't seem like it was going to be too hard. famous last words.

It wasn't overly hard... but it is hot as heck outside and well... the car is less than three weeks old so I was kind of nervous. I got it done though. After throwing the coldheat iron in the creek I got my good old fashioned soldering iron and got the job done. It looks good. The only problem that I have is that the forward passenger side of the headliner console has a slight gap in it now. Nothing anyone else is going to notice... but it will eternally bug me.

I tied everything up real good so I am hoping it doesn't rattle around or anything tomorrow when I am driving it.

But if you are looking to install a radar detector... the headliner is a really good place to find power. =)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Great write up and thanks for the tips! But I gotta pull the TTIWW/OP on you!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great write up and thanks for the tips! But I gotta pull the TTIWW/OP on you!

I can show you a picture of the end result... but the during I did not take pix. I was totally p*ssed off while I was doing it. =) And it was dark. =)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to hear how you like the V1. I plan on using one of these.

http://www.invisicord.com/index.html
hmmm... the invisicord is kinda cool... not far off from how I tested the connection.

Instead of cutting the wires and then testing to see how things worked... I took paper clips and inserted them into the connector to see what voltages were with and without the key in the ignition. Also tested the valentine right on the paperclips.

The detector is awesome. My dad has the Passport 8500 and I like the valentine a lot better. I also like the upgrade policy that Valentine has. A few of my friends have them so I got to see it before I bought.

So far very cool and ACCURATE. And wired in the way it is is great. My last radar detector was a Bell that I used the cigarette lighter to power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts