Charger Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I went to a MOPAR car show today, in the section where most newer Chargers were parked, at least 50% of all cars 2-years-old or older had some form of warping on the door panels - some more severe than others. I think all cars are susceptible at this point - there is no "lottery", they will all do it. Some just faster than others, due to heat exposure, climate, etc.

I question what these cars will look like in 20 years when the door panels are discontinued. Hopefully somebody has a universal, easy DIY fix by then. Replacing them with new door panels is only a temporary solution, it's counterproductive and a waste of material.

I've yet to see a fix that looks as good as factory, they typically still show some "crinkling" or uneven tolerance along the top. If anyone has managed to do a DIY fix that looks near perfect, please post a picture in here and mention the exact steps you took for your fellow Charger owners.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I glued the one on my white Charger and stapled one on my wife's purple Charger...neither came out as good as factory by any means, but 100% better than having them stick up all over the place. I have also fixed a lot of doors on others cars with my pneumatic stapler: several Fords, couple Nissans, a BMW, couple Chevies...this happens in almost all cars (I've seen pics of Mercedes and Porsche with the same problem). Ford SUVs are way worse with this problem than any Charger, but the Ford dealerships will fix them (with a stapler!) without any hassle, Dodge needs to step up their game here...

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That actually looks pretty damn good, nice job.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
That actually looks pretty damn good, nice job.
Danke... you have to be VERY careful with the staples or they will show, especially at the rear of the panel near the lock knob. I paint them to match the vinyl so they are not noticeable unless you are looking for them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since I last posted about it about a month ago, it’s gotten much worse. Farther across the door and also further down the panel. Time to fix. I have some JB weld epoxy laying around, anyone have luck with that or any other 2 part epoxy’s?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Since I last posted about it about a month ago, it’s gotten much worse. Farther across the door and also further down the panel. Time to fix. I have some JB weld epoxy laying around, anyone have luck with that or any other 2 part epoxy’s?
Staple it or it’ll do it again. Once my almost brand new Hellcat panels begin to peel I’ll be stapling that shit assuming no recalls are initiated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Staple it or it’ll do it again. Once my almost brand new Hellcat panels begin to peel I’ll be stapling that shit assuming no recalls are initiated.
I got a air Brad nailer with 1” long nails, is that strong enough/ not too powerful to use for this?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
No sense waiting for a Dodge "Recall"......Recalls are only for safety issues...However, if "Dodge Cares" actually "Cares" , and Owns Up.......Perhaps they can chime in on what actions owners can take...!

·
Registered
183 Posts
No sense waiting for a Dodge "Recall"......Recalls are only for safety issues...However, if "Dodge Cares" actually "Cares" , and Owns Up.......Perhaps they can chime in on what actions owners can take...!
I just emailed Dodge support earlier today about this issue. I don’t expect a solution from it but just to hear their response is something

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I got a air Brad nailer with 1” long nails, is that strong enough/ not too powerful to use for this?
The staples I use are only 3/16" long and go all the way through...1 inch is way too long (1/2" is too long)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I stopped by the dealership today. 4 door panels and the driver's side console strip are on the way. He said I COULD pay $100 deductible and have 2 years warranty on the new ones.

I expect it'll be stripped and caged in 2 years, so I'll take free for now lol

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
I stopped by the dealership today. 4 door panels and the driver's side console strip are on the way. He said I COULD pay $100 deductible and have 2 years warranty on the new ones.

I expect it'll be stripped and caged in 2 years, so I'll take free for now lol

What’s your vehicle warranty situation? Still the 36 month or anything? I have a CPO warranty and also a $100 deductible. I believe it’s strictly power train tho

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
How the hell has FCA not addressed this yet? Anyone see a 2019 with this problem?
All makes have this problem, not just Chargers, The difference is other dealers fix the problem while Dodge ignores it unless you complain while the car is still under the 3/36 warranty... after that, it is on you, AKA staple time.

·
Registered
503 Posts
What’s your vehicle warranty situation? Still the 36 month or anything? I have a CPO warranty and also a $100 deductible. I believe it’s strictly power train tho
My bumper to bumper ran out last March and I tossed the power train warranty out the window when I slapped a blown 426 in it...along with the built trans and 9" conversion.

·
Registered
256 Posts
All makes have this problem,
My 03 Acura, 2010 Infiniti, My 4 Explorers(93-02) 02 Mustang, 2012 & 2017 Hyundai's never did.... Also the 07 SRT I had.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well... maybe it could be a safety issue. If the gap gets large enough, your first born could crawl into it!

How the hell has FCA not addressed this yet? Anyone see a 2019 with this problem?
I haven't seen any 2019's with the issue yet, too new probably. My car has an 11/19 build date, so it probably wont start peeling at least for another two years (hopefully).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was out of warranty for 3 months and Dodge Cares took care of my door panels and radio that’s was delaminating. Only 24k miles on the car.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts