Charger Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Charger SXT Plus AWD - Frostbite/Black
40 Posts
Chrysler was doing great when Daimler (Mercedes) acquired it in the "merger of equals" (not!) Drained it dry, sold it to Venture Capital firm Cerebrus, who drained it drier, and taken over in bankruptcy by Fiat. Chrysler is the cash cow for FCA and will continue to be after the PSA merger. Walter Chrysler is rolling over in his grave...actually mausoleum. I've seen it, you can park an Imperial inside it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm assuming this problem occurs sooner on cars kept outside, since they're exposed to more heat inside the interior while parked.

I'm still waiting for the first 2019 to report this issue. If anyone has a 2019 or knows someone with a 2019 that has the issue, let me know - I'm curious. I doubt they changed anything, they're probably just too new to do it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm assuming this problem occurs sooner on cars kept outside, since they're exposed to more heat inside the interior while parked.

I'm still waiting for the first 2019 to report this issue. If anyone has a 2019 or knows someone with a 2019 that has the issue, let me know - I'm curious. I doubt they changed anything, they're probably just too new to do it.
I have a 2017 that MIGHT have seen 20 total nights since new that it wasn't in a garage. Windows were tinted with 3m heat reflective tint 3 days after purchase and it's black so I do my BEST not to park it in sun. Mine just started pulling up this spring.

I just haven't sat still long enough to staple them down or take it to the 'ship and have them replaced.

I'm sure sun exposure doesn't cause it, but I won't say it doesn't accelerate it either.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've been gathering complaints and images regarding the peeling door panels on Dodge Chargers, specifically, the 2015-present models. While the 2011-2014 models have door panels that are visually identical to the 2015-present models, I have reason to believe they used a better quality glue - hence why less of them are peeling after heat cycles/prolonged time. I have rarely seen a few 2013-2014 models with the issue, but it's not consistent.

Dodge seems to honor the 3/36,000 warranty when the car is brought in for this issue, typically replacing all affected panels at no charge. However, once this warranty period expires, it costs a substantial amount of money to replace all 4 door panels. It seems that they are aware of this issue, due to the supply issue with the door panels themselves. Often, they're on back-order for 6+ months. They simply cannot produce enough of them. How much more noise has to be made until they open a recall? They should either start producing all new cars from this date forward with the better quality glue/adhesive on the door panels, or voluntarily fix all older vehicles with the issue at no cost and repair them using a dealer certified method (perhaps taking the panels apart and applying a new glue formula).

My car was manufactured in November 2019, and as such, there is no peeling yet. But it is kept outside, and I expect to see the issue start within 2-3 years. Perhaps someone here knows an engineer that works at the Brampton Assembly Plant, or someone could find a way to contact one and bring this issue to their attention? Obviously, bringing these issues to the dealership Service Manager or Service Advisors is not making its way to FCA Corporate or their interior design engineers.

Images for your entertainment:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Anyone recommend the best tint to get to help minimize this as much as possible? Also should I be cracking my windows slightly to let some of the trapped heat out? I got at a minimum 1 year (probably 2yrs) of a brutal Texas summer before moving to cooler Idaho. I really like these leather panels so I gotta try and keep them in tip top shape.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Anyone recommend the best tint to get to help minimize this as much as possible? Also should I be cracking my windows slightly to let some of the trapped heat out? I got at a minimum 1 year (probably 2yrs) of a brutal Texas summer before moving to cooler Idaho. I really like these leather panels so I gotta try and keep them in tip top shape.
The tint doesn't stop it, unfortunately.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I saw this on a 2016 R/T R&T car that I looked at before buying my 2019. The selling dealer said they'd fix the panels, I didn't know about the issue and it worried me that maybe they ripped the panels off messing with the speakers or some weird damage etc. Both driver and passenger were peeling badly.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Stop? No. Slow it down a little yes I’ve read. Keep in mind I have no tint at all. Completely clear windows. Might as well be a damn greenhouse!
Mine have been tinted since 3 days after I bought it new and they're lifting already. 3yrs/24k miles..garage kept

·
Registered
503 Posts
Leather or standard panels?
Mine are lifting at the window. I have leather/ Alcantara (black/ Ruby red). The insert panels are fine it's just at the top of the door.

If not for having the windows down at the track the other week I wouldn't have even seen it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I brought my car in before the 3/36 ran out and the dealership blew me off "normal wear and tear" you gotta wait till its bad enough, all 4 panels were seperating at that point.
I took a video showing the miles and the dealer paperwork in case Dodge finally fixes them for real. I would say if you bought the car new, and brought it to the same dealership and are willing to release your inner KAREN you may get fixed.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
183 Posts
My 17’ scat with 44k miles is starting on the passenger side after leaving my windows down in the sun this summer. Definitely the direct sunlight is what made it start. Obviously FCA should of used something more suitable to sustain sun on vehicle parts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I've driven a few Chrysler 300's at work, usually older trade-ins of various model years. The door panels are almost identical to the Charger, except none of them ever peel. I'm wondering what could possibly be different? Same deal with pre-2015 Chargers. They changed something, and I'd like to know what it is they changed - knowing that will possibly lead to a solution.

I'm also wondering what it would take to get FCA to release a service bulletin - not a recall, but rather a dealer authorized repair to rectify the issue without having to replace the entire door panel (which is a waste, quite frankly).

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 14 RT passenger side door panel came apart too. Not real pleased. Used Goop Door and Trim repair adhesive from Amazon. Took the door panel off. Used a series of blocks and claims as pressure. Need to let the adhesive set up for 48 hours. So far so good.

Again when car companies expect the down parts supplier to engineer and make quality parts they run the risk of getting a bad part the makes a good car bad. When the big 3 had integrated supply chains, they can fix errors because they controlled everything. Now they don't. FCA goes for the lowest price to meet the requirements. FCA defines the interfaces, in this case to the door frame, and the material to be used on the door panel. How the down parts manufacture makes the thing is his business. With all of these car companies depending on the same few vendors to make these things, they have little leverage to hold their feet to the fire on quality because they deal with them as a low bidder vs a long term partner in the manufacture of the product.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts