Charger Forums banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
SO I have a 2014 RT and recently the door panel has been raising off the edge of the window on the drivers side.

I'm in phoenix so it is probably warping from the heat. I took it to the dealer today but it is out of warranty due to the high milage.

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone and how did you fix it.
2016 RT out of the warranty, dealer is a no way will not help situation. Mine was pretty bad and I am in Oregon not to hot here. I removed the foam all along the whole door about 1/2" and used super glue gel on that top plastic edge under the vinyl and then held it in place with custom cut up paint sticks. Super glue will not be affected by heat like Gorilla glue, or most epoxy based glues that like to break loose in hot conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
SO I have a 2014 RT and recently the door panel has been raising off the edge of the window on the drivers side.

I'm in phoenix so it is probably warping from the heat. I took it to the dealer today but it is out of warranty due to the high milage.

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone and how did you fix it.
2016 RT out of the warranty, dealer is a no way will not help situation. Mine was pretty bad and I am in Oregon not to hot here. I removed the foam all along the whole door about 1/2" and used super glue gel on that top plastic edge under the vinyl and then held it in place with custom cut up paint sticks. Super glue will not be affected by heat like Gorilla glue, or most epoxy based glues that like to break loose in hot conditions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They are telling me that they cannot cover mine. I have 2017 Charger. Apparently, my warranty expired in May, but I took my car to dealership in August when the covid-19 situation was more understandable. I only have 22000 miles on the car and have take good car of it over last 3 years. This is really disappointing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2016 RT out of the warranty, dealer is a no way will not help situation. Mine was pretty bad and I am in Oregon not to hot here. I removed the foam behind the vinyl all along the whole top of the door panel at about 1/2" And used super glue gel on that top plastic edge under the vinyl and then held it in place with custom cut up paint sticks, you need to make them and get them set up to fit first. Super glue will not be affected by heat like Gorilla glue, or most epoxy based glues that like to break loose in hot conditions.

Here it is with the H Depot paint sticks in place while drying, and finished after dried. Thank you Loctite super glue gel, looks much better than what others have done. Sorry to pat myself on the back but look at it you can’t tell. I have used Loctite super glue gel on every part on this car that comes lose and there has been many. P.S. You will need two packs to do the whole top of each door.

Remember if you actually get replacements from Dodge they will not last for long. The foam just basically falls apart and crumbles when you remove it anyway. All of you will see that this is a good fix. They have not changed anything I went to my local dealer and looked at a 2020. Still the same crap and yes I pushed up on the edge, oh my I am so sorry, in front of the sales person!!

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
They are telling me that they cannot cover mine. I have 2017 Charger. Apparently, my warranty expired in May, but I took my car to dealership in August when the covid-19 situation was more understandable. I only have 22000 miles on the car and have take good car of it over last 3 years. This is really disappointing.
Contact Dodge Cares and open a case. Repairs are being done after warranty runs out but you have to be persistent.

Reactions: Punisher69

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wondering: I've seen people mention that they have been using different adhesives but after some time the heat still causes a problem. With that said, wouldn't a high temp RTV work best?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, 2 years & less then 10K miles later my drivers side panel is again peeling. Was replaced under warranty in 2018.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What would be the strongest adhesive with a decent heat tolerance?
Super glue seems to be fine. I went with staples.
Well, 2 years & less then 10K miles later my drivers side panel is again peeling. Was replaced under warranty in 2018.
Same here. Had my passenger front replaced in 2018 and it's loose again. It's happening to 2019s for Pete's sake. Must be a cost/benefit thing to not have a redesign.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
What would be the strongest adhesive with a decent heat tolerance?
I used Gorilla Glue on mine, a bit messy and takes overnight to dry but it has held up well for the last 2 1/2 years. I used staples on the wifes car, much easier and quicker

161 - 172 of 172 Posts