Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a fix for the infamous door panel material by the window coming undone. I removed my door panel and took it to a trim shop. They looked at it and said they had a couple of ideas to remedy this issue. They decided the best way to fix it is by running staples into the plastic structure of the door panel. They ran staples all the way down the door panel to fix any issues they may rise in the future. The staples ran into the area where there appears to be a “lip” in the plastic that has a gap big enough to shoot a staple into. Check these photos out. Hope this helps anyone with this issues. Works for any charger or challenger door panel from 2011 to present. Any questions let me know.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I bought a pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight for $24 just for this reason... Anybody that needs it done (for the price of a beer), just stop by on your way through Albuquerque, I have a box of 5,000 staples! ...you know you want to take a long road trip, now you have a reason...

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
I bought a pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight for $24 just for this reason... Anybody that needs it done (for the price of a beer), just stop by on your way through Albuquerque, I have a box of 5,000 staples! ...you know you want to take a long road trip, now you have a reason...
Hmmm... I've got a road trip to Phoenix coming up in a couple of months...

Tempting....

·
Registered
2 Posts

For all folks (like myself) who cannot do self-fixes -a note for reference. I took my 2018 Charger to the dealership for the door panel fix. My car has custom leather, which includes custom leather piece inserts on the interior door panels. The dealership couldn't fix the doors because of this, and had to send it to a custom body shop-- all great, but took an extra 2 days. Make sure to alert your dealer of any custom leather/etc you have may on the door panels.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
My neighborhood Nazi (HOA inspector) saw the Barney mobile out in my driveway up on jack stands last week when I had the front clip off (I washing the remnants of Ohio out of the wheel wells) and wrote me up for a "covenant violation"... apparently ALL auto work must be done in the garage, not the driveway. They also said I have to stop working on other peoples cars because that constitutes running an illicit auto shop, and the neighbor is not zoned for that ! I can see them complaining if I was pulling an engine and had an oily mess, but it was just Ohio gravel and asphalt chips !

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Are you living in one of those Adult Communities?
No, not an old farts place, or gated even, just nicer than average. They only charge $70 for three months, but they do keep the place looking nice, unlike neighborhoods within 3-4 miles of here where people park 2,3, or even 4 cars on the lawns ! (you can see a bit of what the neighborhood looks like in these pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
My neighborhood Nazi (HOA inspector) saw the Barney mobile out in my driveway up on jack stands last week when I had the front clip off (I washing the remnants of Ohio out of the wheel wells) and wrote me up for a "covenant violation"... apparently ALL auto work must be done in the garage, not the driveway. They also said I have to stop working on other peoples cars because that constitutes running an illicit auto shop, and the neighbor is not zoned for that ! I can see them complaining if I was pulling an engine and had an oily mess, but it was just Ohio gravel and asphalt chips !
Gosh, in Florida, they write it into the paper work that you must have at least one car on blocks at all times....... :)
----------------------------------
Washing may not be "auto work".
Does the covenant specifically say that a car cannot be "washed" in the driveway?
Does HOA have an appeals board?

Most HOA inspectors are people who hate people. Unfortunately hate tends to attract bad luck such as errant staples in the sidewall of two tires at the same time. Maybe he should not be driving through construction zones.

In some places the dreaded rubber termites have been known to bore small holes into tire sidewalls in a similar manner.

Should the HOA nazi have some bad luck, is he required to have his car towed into his garage to change his tires? .....or is changing a tire on an auto, not considered as "auto work"?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
well, it was up on jack stands with the front wheels and the bumper removed... so he may have thought the worst !

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
well, it was up on jack stands with the front wheels and the bumper removed... so he may have thought the worst !
He was a butthead.

Some things must be removed to wash a car to the same cleanliness standards as a new car.
I would contend that his " thinking" (or lack of knowledge) is different than the reality of what is taking place.
That's why I asked about an appeals board.
But thank goodness everyone is not like me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Very SHORT ones. I used 3/16" and they still punched all the way through the plastic frame.
Thanks! As long as It doesn't come out the other side of the door I'm good!

I would use Goop adhesive and not puncture or tear the material
I have a lead on some un-warped panels to upgrade my interior with and I'm looking to try and stop it from ever happening in the first place. So staples are my option.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Put them in as LOW as possible, otherwise they'll show and then you'll have to get creative with paint to hide them...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can report that the 1/8 ones did not fit in my stapler. However, I got some 1/4 inch and they seemed to work just fine. It's hard to get them low enough while staying in that "glue channel" where from it comes loose. I think I got it but I'm going to use some touch up paint on the staple heads just to bee in the safe side. Although even seeing a little silver is far better than seeing the white plastic inside the panel!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts