Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With so many new members and people purchasing new cars to them or brand new 11's and 12's, we always want to keep people informed of this!

As everyone knows, every component in your car has to function equally. Obviously, if your engine fails, you are not going anywhere.

However, if your differential fails, your just as stuck as an engine or transmission failure. Many people do not typically think about the different fluids in your car that need changing besides your engine oil.

Your differential gear lube is one of those fluids that should be changed so you can greatly increase the gear and bearing life. Unfortunately, Mopar states that it is a lifetime fluid. The differential fluid is as lifetime as your engine oil or transmission fluid...it isn't! Also, people do not even think about or change it until there is either gear whine or when it fails. I can't tell you how many people ask us if we can address the whine that these differentials create with some miles on them!

There are more than 22 components that make up a differential. All of these components must have very high quality, clean gear lubricant so that it will function properly, quietly, and safely for a long time.

If your not sure how a differential functions, here is a video to help you understand more!

Many people do not realize that rear end gears have a break-in period just like your engine does yet many people do not know or think about it!

Normally, we suggest 800 to 1,500 miles for breaking in new engines yet differential gear lube is usually neglected.

Since differentials do not have filters like engines and transmissions, all the break-in wear particles continue to circulate between gears, bearings and LSD clutches, which will lead to premature wear....gear whine or outright failure if subjected to high performance use.......of which most here like myself run the car through it's paces regularly.

I wish Mopar would come out with a break-in schedule of changing gear lubes within the first 500 to 3,000 mile break-in, but for now they still say lifetime.

Just know that our differentials are subjected to more severe use and deal with more stress and heat than even differentials made just a few years ago. This has a lot to do with the higher output V6 and V8 engines our cars have today. The new cars are up 200 to 300 lbs from just last year alone!

Traditional gear lubes are faced with providing adequate wear protection during severe use and also the condition of break-in operating conditions while we push the envelope harder and harder.

QuantumBlue 75w115 has been designed for the toughest and highest performance any LX, LC, or the new Charger (LD) can throw down. Custom Blended for all different uses and applications. It is designed for both the open and LSD differentials made by Mopar/Mercedes. On the LSD units, the traditional Mopar clutch pack lube is necessary to add to our lube for proper activation of the LSD system. If you wish, we can add that to the fluid before we blend it!

And obviously we recommend that every LX.LC, and LD factory differential gear lube be changed shortly after the maximum break-in period of4000 - 5,000 miles to make sure the differential has a long service life.

There is a difference between the Mopar factory fluid and our QuantumBlue High Performance Tackified Red Gear Lube.......perfect time to feel the difference! :beerchug:

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Brian, I put on about 25k/year......what would be the interval change?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian, I put on about 25k/year......what would be the interval change?
Based on that, you should change it every 2 years for sure. I think you are getting close to changing that batch you have.;)

Regards,

Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
2 questions.....

1) I am at 80,000 in my 3.5L, time to change it?

Yes. It is never too late to do so. Many people with this amount of mileage will have a whine or hum. The QB HP Tackified Red will help quiet it down too.

2) Anyone have a how to write up link?
Youtube assists on this part nicely.:bigthumb:

Unlike the video on the Mercedes, our filler tube is on the drivers side instead. Always make sure that you open the filler tube FIRST. Here are a few pictures:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks, Brian. Looks really simple. For those of us with some significant mileage on our pumpkins, do you offer anything (even if only advice) to flush the old stuff out, prior to filling with QB?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats the name of that device to get the fluid in there?
It is called a transfer tube. Also, if you look in the video, the Yorker Caps come with differential fluid. We provide a bottle with a Yorker cap on it if you request it. That makes it really easy to administer as well. I have even had customers use a washed out ketsup bottle to put our fluids in with and apparently that works fine too! LOL.;)

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
How much Brian?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much Brian?
1 gallon is more than enough to do what you need. 75w115 QuantumBlue High Performance Tackified Red Gear lube will do a great job for you. Much better film strength and tackifed to stay on the gears and resist cavitation.

Obviously we would want to send it to your Secret Squirrel address etc.

Let me know.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
How much lighter will this make my wallet?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts