Charger Forums banner

does your gas mileage suck?

11K views 89 replies 68 participants last post by  CHARLIE 
#1 ·
I have 1700 miles on my RT and I think the mileage sucks so far.... I reset the trip comp on the highway and was getting 20MPG on cruise control.... any input out there?

#3 ·
uhhh but you knew that going in didnt you? What did you expect from a 4000lbs car with a 5.7liter hemi?
Dont worry about the mileage man, floor the sucka and have fun!

#4 ·
for real man, if you were worried about MPG you would have bought an sxt or se or a Neon. I think the MPG are great on my R/T at least a lot better than my 2003 mustang GT got. I did a trip to New York and my average MPG were around 27 to 28 MPG. Before any mods. my local MPG were about 12 to 13MPG before mods and now after mods local MPG are around 14 to 15.5. I love it and gas prices for 89 oct went to $2.92 today and I still will not ***** because I bought it and have to live with it and I was aware it was a V8 gas hog at the time.

#5 ·
Dude 20mpg on that car is sweet. I romp on mine all the time and still get 18.5 average for all my driving. Only in my vette did I get better gas mileage out of a V8 motor.

Hey they have a hybrid toyota that gets about 45mpg, that doesn't suck, why don't you trade in your charger for that!

#6 ·
littleJohnnyfromNJ said:
I have 1700 miles on my RT and I think the mileage sucks so far.... I reset the trip comp on the highway and was getting 20MPG on cruise control.... any input out there?

Pay the extra dime for the 89 octane and run what the manual says!

Your fuel economy will improve at about the 3-5 thousand mile range.

Some tips and I am not an expert, but have been told this info below before.

Breaking an engine in harder will result in better hp and may affect fuel economy in the long run. Break in like a wimp and you get a wimpy performing engine.

Also you have an adaptive transmission and electronics in your vehicle and it learns your driving style and adjust shift points accordingly.

Almost all vehicles are runnning adaptive technology now.

Someone in the forums may now how to reset this.

Any clues out there for littlejohnny!!

#7 ·
20mpg is pretty good. are babying that thing. i thought I was and I am averaging around 16-17. lay into man.

#8 ·
Man everybody is brutal out here, but hey we are all driving mean machines right? I dont care about the MPG. I love the engine sounds and the ride so much, I'm never driving anything else. I'm a proud owner of a midnight blue 5.7 sneering eyed beast. So go free Willy and pass on lunch at IHOP, it sucks there anyways.
greedo

#11 ·
WOW! Little Johnny's gettin' ragged on over here! Holy Crap! Sorry I asked! LOL... :wink:

I was just hoping to get around 25MPG from an instant read on the highway.... there I was on cruise at 75MPH, reset the gauge, and I would have figured it would have had an average closer to 25MPG...

Overall MPG shopuld be less because I drive her hard EVERY CHANCE I GET!!!

Thanks for the support, guys :wink:

Love the car and love you guys for ragging on me and reminding me about the incredible car I just bought!

#13 ·
I get 17 to 18.5 local driving and have gotten over 25 a couple times pure expressway driving. The more miles you put on the car the better it performs and the more efficient it runs...which it reads from you everytime you take it out. The mileage does not suck on the Charger. Its the price of gas that SUCKS! The Charger does great in the mpg department considering it has a 340HP engine.

#14 ·
Yes... Anyone worried about gas milage with a V8 340 HP car, probably should have bought somthing else.. I sold my 2005 Jetta Turbo Diesel that NEVER got less than 42 MPG to buy my Daytona. SO now I will get half the milage as before, but I don't care because I have 350 HP. It is very hard to buy a performance car and be happy with your MPG. Probably only a newer 6 Speed Corvette, I think they get around 28 highway, so not that far off from the Charger and you get a much more practical car with the Charger.

#15 ·
Im getting 18mpg in city right now. Just have to keep all those impulses in check. As a 23 year old perhaps the R/T wasnt a good choice but screw it you only live once. And you always make more money. On a drive to a relatives I was able to accoplish 28mpg. I have to manually do the math I dont have the fancy computer in the dash until somoene figures out how to make it work and Ill swap it out.

#16 ·
RT-DAYTONA-RT said:
Yes... Anyone worried about gas milage with a V8 340 HP car, probably should have bought somthing else.. I sold my 2005 Jetta Turbo Diesel that NEVER got less than 42 MPG to buy my Daytona. SO now I will get half the milage as before, but I don't care because I have 350 HP. It is very hard to buy a performance car and be happy with your MPG. Probably only a newer 6 Speed Corvette, I think they get around 28 highway, so not that far off from the Charger and you get a much more practical car with the Charger.
That's a load of... I would normally agree with you, however, this car was billed as getting 25MPG... I would hope to get a bit closer to that, ESPECIALLY when resetting the computer while on cruise control on the highway... if anything, doing so would have increased the average MPG... mine read 20MPG.... on a car billed as 25MPG, I would expect roughly 25MPG...

I have a Suburban Z71 that gets exactly what the window sticker said it would... 22MPG on the highway.... I would think the charger would get better....

#17 ·
That's a load of... I would normally agree with you, however, this car was billed as getting 25MPG... I would hope to get a bit closer to that,
Amen!

I got a Dodge Caravan and the Charger R/T this year and neither one gets close to what the sticker MPG states for highway. We have every right to expect to get near what the sticker claims. I wonder how they get away with those unrealistically high mpg ratings.

#18 ·
Unfortunately, if you read closely under that 17/25 MPG it says "Actual Mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 14 and 20 mpg in the city, and between 21 and 29 mpg on the highway".

#19 ·
Unfortunately, if you read closely under that 17/25 MPG it says "Actual Mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition.
It should say actual mileage will be less unless you drive down hill in a vacuum with your windows up and the airconditioning off.

#21 ·
NECharger said:
It should say actual mileage will be less unless you drive down hill in a vacuum with your windows up and the airconditioning off.

come on who doesnt live in a town with at least 3 or 4 of these in the area? The local vaccum hills have a ambient tempature of about 40 degrrees as well so the a/c isnt needed. We have a anti gravity up hill around here too. Even in park the car accelerates up the hill. Its kinda dangerous.

#23 ·
http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/02/pf/autos/epa/

The article is a year old, but about halfway down it explains how the EPA tests mileage.
The "highway" test is designed to mimic a 10 mile trip on a two-lane country road, not an interstate, said John Millett, an EPA spokesman. The average speed, including slow-downs to mimic allowing another car to merge into traffic, is about 48 miles per hour.
That said, my gas pedal and I have always had a love-hate relationship with a lot of heavy kicking and stomping. At 4500 miles, I'm averaging 21.7 and on long expressway trips, I've seen average economy over 25mpg at around 75mph. I did find that my economy on the expressway tends to stay consistant for about an hour of cruising before steadily improving by 1/10mpg at a time. No idea if it is taking that long for the MDS system to be consistant or why otherwise, but thats what I've seen.
Break it in, it'll get better. I hope mine continues to improve, but I'll take what I've got as well.

#25 ·
DutchMaster said:
I only put 91 into my charger.. I notice a severe difference in performance over 89
Same here. My engine knocks with '89 and the K&N.

#26 ·
I got the K&N Aircharger on my R/T and gas mileage is around 14.8mpg city. After modifying the intake, I got it up to 17mpg city. Performace is better as well. Needless to say, another product Blowin' SMoke Performance will be producing and the mod can be used on almost any aftermarket intake system. +2mpg and the engine torques harder when switching gears. Looking at better motor mounts to prevent the extra jolt on the drivetrain. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.