Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Press on the accelerator while the car is in park, with your foot all the way down on the gas pedal, it will only go to 4000 RPM. Does this happen with your R/T as well or is something wrong with mine. I'm thinking the computer isn't letting it go past that point while the car is in park. What do you guys think?

Rod

·
Registered
600 Posts
dont have my charger yet..... but with m y monte, it stops at 4k too... im pretty sure it is so you dont overrev the engine accidentally! a good thing in my opinion!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Go ManGo! said:
Press on the accelerator while the car is in park, with your foot all the way down on the gas pedal, it will only go to 4000 RPM. Does this happen with your R/T as well or is something wrong with mine. I'm thinking the computer isn't letting it go past that point while the car is in park. What do you guys think?

Rod
With all of the other added transmission safty features this car has (like the shifting for you using tip-tronics) it wouldn't suprise me if DXM built this in to the computer. Makes sense actually from a warrenty claims perspective. Haven't you ever heard of someone at 35k miles redlining it in park to blow the engine/ transmission and then take it in to get a new one right before the warrenty expires? There are some crooked bastards in this world you know.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
dagummit said:
With all of the other added transmission safty features this car has (like the shifting for you using tip-tronics) it wouldn't suprise me if DXM built this in to the computer. Makes sense actually from a warrenty claims perspective. Haven't you ever heard of someone at 35k miles redlining it in park to blow the engine/ transmission and then take it in to get a new one right before the warrenty expires? There are some crooked bastards in this world you know.
No, they should just prevent you from exceeding the rev limiter in park, not limit you to 4,000. If the engine can't handle 5,500 RPM in park, how can it be expected to do it under load?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dagummit said:
I'm pretty sure its built in to the DXM system but I want to make sure. I've never had a car that you couldn't atleast hit the rev limiter with in park. Also, I've never heard of someone blowing a perfectly good engine right before the warranty goes out, just to get a new one. I guess there' a lot of idiots out there :)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Go ManGo! said:
I'm pretty sure its built in to the DXM system but I want to make sure. I've never had a car that you couldn't atleast hit the rev limiter with in park. Also, I've never heard of someone blowing a perfectly good engine right before the warranty goes out, just to get a new one. I guess there' a lot of idiots out there :)
Modern Fords have that "feature" of limiting your revs well below the rev limiter in neutral or park.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dutch said:
No, they should just prevent you from exceeding the rev limiter in park, not limit you to 4,000. If the engine can't handle 5,500 RPM in park, how can it be expected to do it under load?
That's what I was thinking :sad:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Go ManGo! said:
Also, I've never heard of someone blowing a perfectly good engine right before the warranty goes out, just to get a new one. I guess there' a lot of idiots out there :)
You've never lived in South Carolina before have you? :smoke:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dutch said:
Modern Fords have that "feature" of limiting your revs well below the rev limiter in neutral or park.
Not one that I've owned!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to ask....Why do you want to rev your engine that high while in park? I heard of people blowing their engines doing this. A friend of mine actually blew his in a 67 coronet when he was young (and dumb?). I've always heard it's not good to do.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dagummit said:
You've never lived in South Carolina before have you? :smoke:
No, LA and San Dog and they would steal one before blowing one up. Now running nitrous is different!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crazy_luck said:
My daytona stops at 4k in park also
That sucks!! I was out showing my brother the car, went to go give it some gas, and it farts out at 4000 grand, I'm like SOB!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dutch said:
free reving and load reving is different... when ur car is in park, and you step on the gas, it takes a split second to get to 4K

now try it in drive and stepping on it, it takes a little bit longer doesn't it..

its a safety feature! i wouldn't try to put too much logiv into it!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crazy_luck said:
OK, I just went out and reved it (any reason to sit in the car :wink: ) and the tach stops at 4000-4500 but the engine obviously revs up higher. When I reved it and held (for about 3 seconds) it went up to 5200 (thats where I stopped). I guess the tach don't move as quick as the engine....
3 seconds is a long time, I wish we had full control of these cars, I hate this computer BS.

Rod

·
Registered
263 Posts
Go ManGo! said:
No, LA and San Dog and they would steal one before blowing one up. Now running nitrous is different!
Well, many South Carolinians give the term "cheap ass" an enlighted definition.

I can say this about SC, I was born and raised in good 'ol SC (lived in NC also)...

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
it is a limiter that dcx built into the system to ensure normal people don't blow the sh*t out of the car by over revving. hopefully when codes are broken this can also go with the wind....but yes it is programmed to do this...there is nothing wrong with your cars. and i agree - it sucks for guys like us!!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sublime said:
I have to ask....Why do you want to rev your engine that high while in park? I heard of people blowing their engines doing this. A friend of mine actually blew his in a 67 coronet when he was young (and dumb?). I've always heard it's not good to do.
I've been doing it for years, as long as you let the oil pressure build up first and don't redline it, it's ok.

Rod

1 - 20 of 35 Posts