Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can obtain a NAG1 transmission dipstick for the 5.7L Charger?
The Dealer parts department tells me that it's a Miller special tool and not a part, but I can't get any response from Miller when I email them.
And yes, I do have a scan tool to measure the transmission fluid temperature, and the temp vs level chart as well.
Is anyone else totally bugged by the lack of a standard supply dipstick?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
at 180 degress the trans should read 75% on the check tool. JUST call your local heavy line tool supply dealers and you should be able to find one. i bought mine from MILLER direct [stealer wanted $80 and i got it for $45 direct]

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
They dont supply it because it is supposed to be a sealed for life tranny with no maintence to the fluid required. However if you check your owners manual 90% of them still say to change it. Any car with sealed for life tranny's (explorer's is another example) are like this.
Find a snap on, mac, matco , cornwell guy in your area. they are easier to find and probably cheaper than going through your dealer for miller parts. Same for ford's rotunda and whatever gm uses

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yeah they seal the transmission because supposedly the hydrulalic oil and filter are meant to last the lifetime of the transmission. So what exactly is a lifetime considered to be, 100000 miles. Its a joke, no filter or fluid lasts forever, and the transmission has a breather so it sees contamination from air as well as the particles coming from the transmissions clutches and so forth as the components wear. It doesn't experince contamination like a engine because there is no combustion process as its just a transmission but still.

Case in point, I used to pull wrenches on a lot of GM cars, with the average owner the life expectancy behind a 4T60E transaxle was around 100000 miles. This particular unit was used behind a lot GM W body(Olds Cutlass, Chev Lumina/Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Am etc.) cars with 3.1 and 3.4 litre V6s. I knew this buying a 97 Monte Carlo(3.1 V6) with around 75000 miles on it. I changed fluid and filter about every 13000 miles( 20000 km's) and then had the transaxle flushed at 200000 km's(125000 miles) and ended up selling it at 152000 miles. That transmission shifted flawlessly still and I had no trouble with it. Was it I got a good one, maybe, however I think its the maintenance that got it there. I now do the same on all vehicles I have and seem to have good transmission life. Maintenance is never a bad thing, filters clog and oil loses it additives due to wear so I don't know what to say to Chrysler.

GM had a dipstick on my Monte but said under normal driving the fluid need never be changed, its crap, get a dipstick and change it. To do it with a reasonable degree of accuracy you need to know transmission temp, any IR temp gun can give you that and be accurate enough to get the level right.

I bugged my dealer a bunch of times and in the end they just gave me the Miller dipstick at no charge.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i have also been looking for a dipstick. Since it says to change the fluid and filter at 60k i am gonna be up in another 15 k and i wanan find a dipstick so i can do it. Anyone ever find a better place to get them from then the stealership?

·
Registered
635 Posts
They dont supply it because it is supposed to be a sealed for life tranny with no maintence to the fluid required. However if you check your owners manual 90% of them still say to change it. Any car with sealed for life tranny's (explorer's is another example) are like this.
Find a snap on, mac, matco , cornwell guy in your area. they are easier to find and probably cheaper than going through your dealer for miller parts. Same for ford's rotunda and whatever gm uses
so what is the name of this tool that I need to ask for from either the snap on or matco guy?

·
Registered
635 Posts
o btw as I read this to hubby (we were both irritated with the fact that there is no dipstick to check tranny) and he goes ....well the next step is for them to not have oil dipsticks so you have to go to the dealer service dept just to check that.....hahahah kinda scarey thought...

·
Registered
285 Posts
yeah i saw that after i posted but is that a typical dip-stick where i can put it in take it out and see how the fluid is or do i need teh dumb scan tool as well

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
yeah i saw that after i posted but is that a typical dip-stick where i can put it in take it out and see how the fluid is or do i need teh dumb scan tool as well
No, it's not a typical dip stick. It is for the NAG1 tranny only. Why is it so expensive, because it's an OEM tool, and they can charge the public big $$ for it.

And yes, you need some sort of way of reading the tranny temp sensor, which is required to properly check the fluid level. Funny how the EVIC reads almost everything else but this sensor.

Btw, transmission fluid does not evaporate, so in theroy, if it doesn't leak externally, the level will remain in a safe zone forever because of it's closed system. It's the breakdown of the oil from heat and dirt that hurts it the most.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yea price is/wasn't the issue. And when i mean a "typical" dipstick i mean not one that is "tranny" specific that has no reference to it beeing typical lol, i mean as in a normal dipstick that has the markings on it etc to be able to check the fluid level at operating temp. As in "low" "add' "safe". Does anyone know for sure before i order this? Or do you HAVE to have a starscan or simialr type device?

and i am asking becasue i found some fluid on my pan the other night, and i wanan change the fluid next summer or so.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
The one required actually has markings in 10mm increments, I think. And theres a chart that shows levels per temp.

At 200 degrees, the reading will be different than at 180.

·
Registered
285 Posts
thanx, so anyone that has done this, at operating temp, what 10 mm mark is teh dipstick up to? any idea what the low-range would be?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts

Heres the scale, but you need this too, the procedure.....

From the Service Manual:
STANDARD PROCEDURE
CHECK OIL LEVEL
1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.
WARNING: Risk of accident from vehicle starting off by itself when engine running. Risk of injury from contusions and burns if you insert your hands into the engine when it is started or when it is running. Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving off by itself. Wear properly fastened and close-fitting work clothes. Do not touch hot or rotating parts.
3. Actuate the service brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position "P".
4. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling
5. Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push the Oil Dipstick 9336 into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again, read off oil
level, repeat if necessary.
NOTE: The dipstick will protrude from the fill tube when installed.
6. Check transmission oil temperature using the appropriate scan tool.
NOTE: The true transmission oil temperature can only be read by a scan tool in REVERSE or any forward gear position. (Refer to 21 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION- NAG1/TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR/
PARK-NEUTRAL SWITCH - OPERATION)
7. The transmission Oil Dipstick 9336 has indicator marks every 10mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the
transmission oil level is correct.
8. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
9. Once the oil level is correct, install the dipstick tube cap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Some math behind the picture.....

Presuming that you know the transmission oil temp (the engine oil temp is a close approximation....and the engine oil temp is available if you have the ETC option), then instead of reading off the chart you can use this equation:

Height of oil level (mm) = {0.0786 X Temp (°F)} + 24.694. There is a 6mm margin of error (+/-).

So, at 77°F, the reading should be 30.7 +/- 6 (36.7 hi; 24.7 low)
At 212°F, the reading should be 41.4 +/- 6 (47.4 hi; 35.4 low) etc., etc.

Glenn

Heres the scale, but you need this too, the procedure.....

From the Service Manual:
STANDARD PROCEDURE
CHECK OIL LEVEL
1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.
WARNING: Risk of accident from vehicle starting off by itself when engine running. Risk of injury from contusions and burns if you insert your hands into the engine when it is started or when it is running. Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving off by itself. Wear properly fastened and close-fitting work clothes. Do not touch hot or rotating parts.
3. Actuate the service brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position "P".
4. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling
5. Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push the Oil Dipstick 9336 into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again, read off oil
level, repeat if necessary.
NOTE: The dipstick will protrude from the fill tube when installed.
6. Check transmission oil temperature using the appropriate scan tool.
NOTE: The true transmission oil temperature can only be read by a scan tool in REVERSE or any forward gear position. (Refer to 21 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION- NAG1/TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR/
PARK-NEUTRAL SWITCH - OPERATION)
7. The transmission Oil Dipstick 9336 has indicator marks every 10mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the
transmission oil level is correct.
8. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
9. Once the oil level is correct, install the dipstick tube cap.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Does anyone know where I can obtain a NAG1 transmission dipstick for the 5.7L Charger?
The Dealer parts department tells me that it's a Miller special tool and not a part, but I can't get any response from Miller when I email them.
And yes, I do have a scan tool to measure the transmission fluid temperature, and the temp vs level chart as well.
Is anyone else totally bugged by the lack of a standard supply dipstick?
at least we can't get blamed for low transmission fluid level damage..

·
Registered
5 Posts
i got a dip stick from the dealer no prob it was the $85 that i had a hard time with. its the same stick for most newer chryslers after buying one found out my work had alredy got we work on the dodge sprinters a lot

·
Registered
167 Posts
You can get a dip stick at ETOOLCART.COM $73.00 Miller 9336 dipstick . Measure your cars tranny fluid just like any other car with a dip stick . Hot tranny fluid expands and dip sticks used to have cold warm and hot levels, this dip stick uses milli meters. Measure 30 mm cold , drive 15 min measure 50 mm warm , drive another 15 min on the HIGHWAY and measure 70 mm hot (FULLY WARMED UP). The scan tool to check tranny temps is not needed ,but more accurate and saves time for a tech not driving the car around to fully warm up a tranny , but do it yourselfers have time to drive the car to check the hot level.Another hint is that 07 and 08 cars have a tranny THERMOSTAT in line with the cooler lines. It is set at 160 F so when the cooler lines in front of the radiator feel hot your tranny has reached at least 160 F to 180 F degress and measure 70 mm on the miller dipstick.

·
Registered
139 Posts
$44 tranny dipstick

The aforemention dipstick can be found here for $44
http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9215

Peace!:banana:

You can get a dip stick at ETOOLCART.COM $73.00 Miller 9336 dipstick . Measure your cars tranny fluid just like any other car with a dip stick . Hot tranny fluid expands and dip sticks used to have cold warm and hot levels, this dip stick uses milli meters. Measure 30 mm cold , drive 15 min measure 50 mm warm , drive another 15 min on the HIGHWAY and measure 70 mm hot (FULLY WARMED UP). The scan tool to check tranny temps is not needed ,but more accurate and saves time for a tech not driving the car around to fully warm up a tranny , but do it yourselfers have time to drive the car to check the hot level.Another hint is that 07 and 08 cars have a tranny THERMOSTAT in line with the cooler lines. It is set at 160 F so when the cooler lines in front of the radiator feel hot your tranny has reached at least 160 F to 180 F degress and measure 70 mm on the miller dipstick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts