Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:beerchug:I have a 2008 dodge charger sxt and I'm looking to black it out. I bought tinted caps for my head and tail lights and was wondering if anyone knew what the michigan state law is about tinting your headlights and tail lights. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks Nick

· Premium Member
14,711 Posts
not allowed, neither is the driver or front pass window

· Registered
1,882 Posts
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-73839--,00.html#tinted

TINTED WINDOWS

Question: Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?

Answer: The law that covers window applications is MCL 257.709 . The use of tinting is limited to the rear side windows, the rear window if the vehicle has outside mirrors on both sides, and the top 4 inches of the front side windows. There is a limited exception for medical necessity with a doctor's prescription, which allows for tinting to be applied to the front side windows as well. Michigan does not have a specification for the darkness of the window application, but does prohibit applications with a solar reflectivity greater than 35%.
Question: If I have a signed letter by my doctor indicating a medical necessity for tinted windows can another person drive my vehicle if the windows are tinted?

Answer: MCL 257.709(3)(e) allows for front side window tinting with "...a letter signed by a physician or optometrist, indicating that the special window treatment or application is a medical necessity. However, the special window treatment or application shall not interfere with or obstruct the driver's clear vision of the highway or an intersecting highway." A vehicle equipped with such tinting could not legally be driven by a person other than the person to whom the letter was given.
Question: Are smoked-out headlight covers legal?

Answer: The Michigan Vehicle Code requires head lamps to emit a white light, with "high-beams" of intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 350 feet ahead, and low-beams of intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 100 feet ahead. Since smoked headlamp covers change the color of light, and/or decrease their intensity below the requirements, they should not be used when headlamps are required to be on. However, smoked headlamp covers may be used when headlamps are not on, and not required.
Question: Is having smoked tail light/brake covers legal in Michigan? How about the smoked ones with slashes or vents in them showing a small part of the original red lens?

Answer: MCL 257.686 requires a tail lamp to emit a red light plainly visible for at least 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
MCL 257.697 requires stop lamps to emit a red or amber light and be capable of being seen and distinguished from other lamps for a distance of 100 feet, including during normal daylight.
If the cover you apply prohibits the lamp from meeting these requirements then it is unlawful.

· Registered
1,882 Posts
I am not a lawyer, but based on the MCL (Michigan Compiled Laws) above, if you do your own testing at night and can see the lights at the given distances, it would give you a fair shake in court.

· Registered
285 Posts
Also, if you tint the driver/passenger windows, and go a couple shades lighter...I personally think it helps...to me it says "I like the look, but not looking to hide who I am, etc", which may help....or I could just be lucky.

I have 20% on the rear, and back sides, and 35 on the fronts...I have had them tinted a little over a year, and have never had any issues...even been given the thumbs up by a few cops....although they were in Chargers.

It is only a fix-it ticket...and so far it has been worth it to me...

· Registered
15,164 Posts
In indy tails are legal if the reflector can be seen 100 feet away I believe. (with light shining on them)

· Registered
38 Posts
I have front tints, I went and asked my eye doctor for a prescription, no cost to them and the headlights do give me headaches, as for the front and rear lights they need to be seen up to 500 feet, or just make it so you can see them from down the block, front tint law is the one you will need to be careful about. It is a r&r ticket fyi

· Registered
4 Posts
Tail light blackout

You are absolutely allowed to black your tail lights out as long as the red light which they emit naturally at night WITHOUT pressing on your brakes is visible a just over a quarter mile away OR 500 meters. I bought my Charger in 2007 and blacked my tail lights out myself using VHT Nightshades. However, because they were a matte finish as opposed to the polished finish, it made the transfer of light more difficult to see. I got pulled over for them, took them into the shop, had a friend of mine apply an automotive polish, and they were good as new. I highly suggest getting them professionally done (unless you're comfortable with the process) as opposed to doing them yourself as I did.

I haven't had problems with my blackouts in almost 4 years now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.