Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 R/T Daytona
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, picking up my new Charger made me realize that it’s the newest vehicle I’ve ever had for myself (I picked her up used with 4k on the clock) - and while it’s a 2022 under manufacture warranty I am left wondering if an extended warranty is a good idea and how it segue’s into any existing coverage? I aim to keep this vehicle for at least 4-5 years.

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving!

Mark

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
4 or 5 years, don't see the need for extended warranty then. how many miles do you plan to drive?
Cars usually have issues within the first 6 months or after many years. Neglect causes issues between that.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Lamaman:
I feel like I need to welcome you to the forum. You've been a member for over 4 years, and just 6 posts? 🤨🤨
Congrats on the new '22 R/T. The bumper to bumper warranty is 3yrs/36k, while the powertrain warranty is 5yrs/60k. The PT warranty is very narrow, only covering internal engine/transmission parts, long with some of the drivetrain.
If you don't think you'll drive much beyond those parameters, then maybe no need for an extended warranty. On the other hand, if you think you might, The factory backed MVP plan is the way to go. It can be bought from several sources, but Clay Robbins is known to have the best price on them in most cases. There have been a number of folks here, and on the Durango forum I frequent, who are happy customers including myself.

Don

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
2,039 Posts
Speaking of…
Does anyone have any recommendations for an aftermarket warranty on a high mileage car?
2019 with close to 150k on it?

I have been checking Car Shield, but they concern me with so of the celebrity endorsements.
Concord is another one that keeps coming up, and American something.

·
Registered
2022 R/T Daytona
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers folks. I have to confess my previous charger (2016 RT) gave me no trouble whatsoever (aside from the door cards falling apart) so this is not a forum I felt the need to consult. Probably why I just bought another one! A testimony to these awesome cars! As someone that had no trouble, mods (aside from a muffler delete) or anything else I didn’t have much to say - just a big grin every time I drove to work! As a European transplant these vehicles have been a revelation to me, and my wife (British and Czech respectively).
But never the less, hello everyone!

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
On this 4,000 mile 2022, when did the original owner buy it and have you seen the service records for the car?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 R/T Daytona
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Slidd, just a service at delivery and another one just before I bought it. Bought about 6 months ago. If the vehicle had other problems I can’t find them in the service history nor can I detect any issues while driving it.

Reactions: Slidd

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Speaking of…
Does anyone have any recommendations for an aftermarket warranty on a high mileage car?
2019 with close to 150k on it?

I have been checking Car Shield, but they concern me with so of the celebrity endorsements.
Concord is another one that keeps coming up, and American something.
Avoid Car Shield at all costs, There are many videos on customers gettiing denied claims for what should be covered. Car shield spends more time denying claims than paying them.
A classic one was customer had full power train warranty and his flex plate developed a crack. Car shield denied becausee it was not in engine or transmission, but in between. It goes on and on.
And the rates the charge, well after a year its the cost of the repair and you still have to keep paying.
I would only EVER consider a warranty thats a one time payment, anything thats monthy is not going to be cost effective.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would not buy an extended warranty.

Your bumper to bumper has some time to run, your powertrain warranty will last almost as long as you plan to keep the vehicle... So really very little actual time coverage from any extension.

And if you change your mind and sell the car while it still has drivetrain coverage, or it it gets totaled at some point, you get nothing for the extended warranty..

·
Registered
779 Posts
Since you're only keeping it that long I'd skip the warrantee too.
We usually do get extended warranties for our cars but we keep them as long as they last which usually means till they rot out. It's a gamble but usually the warrantee pays for itself. I think we've only had one car that it was never used.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
And if you change your mind and sell the car while it still has drivetrain coverage, or it it gets totaled at some point, you get nothing for the extended warranty..
That statement is not necessarily accurate. I totaled a new Jeep after 2 weeks and was allowed to transfer the extended mopar plan to the new Jeep paying only a small transfer fee.

When I traded theJeep 3 years later for the Scat, the prorated refund was applied on another extended plan to the new 2019 Scat Pack. That gap cost me $800.

Withing 13 months of ownership the factory warranty replaced the complete bum left front end, and the bum blue screen UConnect.and I then dumped the Scat before more problems cropped up and I bought a new 2020 Jeep and used the prorated refund and paid an additional Small amount to upgrade to a 7-year unlimited mileage plan which I just recently used on a interior seat claim that would have cost $900 for labor and parts to repair because I had driven out of the 36,000 bumper to bumper and used the extended plan. With 4+ years left, I'm sure something will wear out or break that is covered.

For a while, Mopar extended plan had a deal going on that if the warranty was not used, you could get a 100% refund on the plan premium.

And I totally agree that in the case of the OP his projected time of ownership he will probably not out drive the power train warranty. If he does it won't be by much rendering an extending warranty a waste of money unless it is one that has a good refund or transfer clause.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts