Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have this? I believe its 1% on all purchases, 5% on dealer purchases redemption for dealership certificates. I enrolled...should be getting my card today or tomorrow. Was wondering if anyone already had it...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just signed up for this; I wanted to know how much off a vehicle purchase I could get. Does the 5% mean 5% off the price of the vehicle? If so, that's $2000 off of a $40,000 vehicle.

·
Registered
459 Posts
How do you sign up for this and where?

Got VISA!!!!!!!! lol :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know. My wife bought the 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe, and the offer was mailed to her. There was a personal access code on the fake card that had to be entered when I entered the information on www.mydodgevisa.com. That code was 135-424-oh wait.... :D Anyhoo, I don't know if they give them out to everyone, or if you have to be a previous Dodge-owner. Anyone know?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I recieved my Dodge Rewards Visa today from Bank of America, and talked with a Dodge/Chysler operator. She was very helpful. To earn $ off a purchase of a vehicle, you get $5 credit for every $100 spent, or 5 cents on the dollar. So if you wanted $500 off, you'd have to charge $10,000. The points add up for a period of 5 years, and there is NO limit to the points. So if you charged $100,000 over 5 years, or $20,000 a year, you could get $5,000 of the purchase of a vehicle. $200,000 over 5 years, or $40,000 a year gets you $10,000 off. (I doubt a dealer would honor that, though I wonder if they have to. Might be a "participating dealers only")

Key points: $5 credit for every $100 charged; no limit...

There's gotta be a way to rack up ridiculous points without having to pay the interest, I just know it.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
do you lose the points you get when you buy stuff and then return it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would think so; yes.

I'm having an idea to also get a GM card :ninja: and see if I can work the system by bouncing $10k at a time from one card to another, thereby adding up points for two dealerships at the same time. If the GM card had 0% interest, whereas the Dodge card has 1.9%, I would just have to make sure that when the billing cycle ended the debt was on the GM card. If I made 1 transaction a week with $10k, that's $520,000 charged over a period of 1 year. $520k = $26,000 discount! :jeez: Muwahaha! And all those points based off of $10,000.

Then again, I'd still have $10,000 in debt to pay off, which stinks, but I have that with all my other cards put together, so all I'd have to do is consolidate them into the Dodge Card or Visa Card.

The key factor is how long does an amount have to be in the account before it is considered a point. If the points are automatic per transaction, then this scenario would work. I'm positive that I'm not the first person to think of this, I'll have to do some Google searching to see if it has been successfuly attempted.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Probably will incur transfer fees... Which would make it stink!

And I'm betting that you get points for purchases only...

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are no balance transfer fees, which is the only reason I'd do it. I will have to check and see if purchases are the only way to accrue points, or if balance transfers will accrue points also. If they don't, my whole scheme is out the window.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, hooray for fine print. :cry:

2. Qualifying Purchases. Unless we specify otherwise, you will NOT earn Rewards points on: cash advances, convenience checks, balance transfers, finance charges, fees, (including late-payment fees, over-limit fees, and returned check fees), insurance charges, unauthorized charges, and ATM transactions. Any questions as to what constitutes an eligible charge shall be resolved at the sole discretion of Bank of America. You will NOT earn Rewards points on credits or returns to your Account and the Rewards balance on your Account will be reduced by the amount of any credit or return.
What blows it for me is this: "you will NOT earn Rewards points on: ...balance transfers"; so my idea is out the window. Oh well, I guess I could pay my mortgage on the card and pay it off like I normally would. I don't know if my lender allows payments to be charged to a credit card though. I'll have to look into it. After 5 years I could still rack up $2,500 or more off a purchase.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about the house payment stuff.. The biggest pain I think that I would run into is getting the dealership to use it.. Would probably get a deal, then tell them I have the reward points and they would make you pay MSRP or something. Who knows..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Talking this over with my friend last night, he suggested getting them down to a price, then agreeing on it with the sales manager (in writing or otherwise) and then busting out the Dealer Dollars. I'm sure my name would be mud to the sales manager, but he can kiss my SRT8zz if he can't wiggle his way out of it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well since balance transfers don't count as points, my wife and I have decided to see if we can have our lender charge the card for our mortgage, then turn around the same day it has been charged and pay it off. That way we get the points, but don't pay additional APR on the mortgage. We'll have $800+ off our next vehicle in a year's time. If we put gas and groceries on the card, we'll have over $1,000 off our next vehicle in a year's time.

Is anyone else using a Dodge Rewards Visa? I know my setup is a headache, but if it saves me $1,500 off a vehicle, it's a headache I don't mind.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ok, another disappointing update:

Mortgage lenders do not allow a lean to be charged on a credit card; it must be an account with a routing number. So there goes my 2nd plan to rack up the discount on a vehicle. Dodge makes it really tough to save $ on a vehicle, don't they? ;)

The only other thing I could think of is to create two separate Pay-Pal accounts, the 1st being the "consumer" with the Dodge Rewards Visa, and the 2nd being the "vendor" who will recieve the money. Once the second account aquires the funds, the money is transferred back to the card to reset the balance to zero.

The main problem with that is Paypal charges a fee for every transaction, although I don't know how much it is. Either way, it's a headache.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello everyone

Does anybody have this? I believe its 1% on all purchases, 5% on dealer purchases redemption for dealership certificates. I enrolled...should be getting my card today or tomorrow. Was wondering if anyone already had it...
hello everyone, worried about the presedential campaign... the Florida primary is today... anyone else worried?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I see it states 5 "points" for every $100 spent at a dealership, etc.. and 1 "point" for every $100 spent elsewhere.. It doesn't state the value of a point.. Of course they'll have hats, shirts, accessories, etc points catalog..

You'd like to see 1 point = $1 to know what you have.. I personally use a card that gives me 2%, up to $500/year towards the purchase of any car, new or used... A while ago, Ford had a 5% card, $700 per year, max 5 years and we cashed in $3500 off a car oaver and above rebates and negotiated price.. then they cancelled the program.. lol.

I guess if you spend a bunch of $ at the dealership, then it's worth it... but I wonder if they take your monthly purchases to the nearest full $100 and then give you 5 points x that number, with no carryforward of "lost" partial amounts.. OR is it based on each single charge (which would stink..lol)..

Couldn't use it on a car as you have to wait for the next statement and some dealers have a limit on how much you can put on a car anyways.. .. may be able to use them on a 2nd car purchase.

Hmmm..

JK

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
If your credit is good enough, tell them you want a credit line of $40,000 with an APR under 6%. Then go buy an SRT with the card and get 2000 points on the spot and have a car payment equal to or lower than most banks. :grin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts