Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a fan of the fob/key combo that Dodge uses. I pegged it for a pocket ripper and it has made a hole in one pair of pants already. I wish they had borrowed the VW/Audi switchblade key fob. I had one of those for a Jetta and it was a nice setup. The fob had a little button and the key would spring out to drive, fold in for carry.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Not a problem here at all. But, after over a year of being in my pocket all day, it's noticable the wear on the fob's button, compared to the brand new one I had sitting at home the whole time. I finally rotated them, so I can start wearing that one down a bit.

While we're on the topic, how long does the battery inside last? It would suck if it goes out, since the RFID will no longer work, and you then cannot start the car!

·
Registered
831 Posts
maybe you shouldn't wear your pants so tight
:whistle:

ps: just kidding. I have a hole in a pair of jeans caused from my dodge dakota keyring

LOL, its amazing you'll find people that complain about anything.

·
Registered
171 Posts
just curious... how many other keys are on your key ring?

I am a fat guy... I have not had the Caravan's or the Charger's key cause undo wear and tear on my clothing. When I am wearing jeans I rarely keep the keys all the way in my pocket anyway. I just slide the Dodge key in my pocket and let the keyring hang out.

I also only have one other key on the key ring... My house key and the dodge key are all that are there. Any other keys go on a different key ring. I have replaced too many ignitions in my time due to heavy key rings.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I just keep the key in my car most of the time. Key is too bulky for the to carry it.
Where do you live that you can get away with that?

I don't even leave my key in the car when it is locked in the garage!

Truth be told, I don't know why the key is even needed any more. The FOB opens and closes the doors just fine and the chip in the FOB provides more security than the key.. a start button would work just fine, as long as the FOB (with the chip) is in the car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Where do you live that you can get away with that?

I don't even leave my key in the car when it is locked in the garage!

Truth be told, I don't know why the key is even needed any more. The FOB opens and closes the doors just fine and the chip in the FOB provides more security than the key.. a start button would work just fine, as long as the FOB (with the chip) is in the car.
here in GA.

The key stays in it at work, at home, at friends houses, at storage unit where it will live soon (as I don't need 4 cars in my driveway), and a bunch other places.

I will take the key out at some stores.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
A friend of mine has a mazdaspeed 6 that has no key... just a proximity fob. VERY cool stuff.
Yeah, that's what I mean.. We have that too. That's why you can't just have a key cut at home depot.. it won't work unless a key with the chip (proximity fob) is in the car.

IDEA:
I suppose, if you wanted, you could have a key cut at home depot and always keep that in the ignition. Then hacksaw off the original key from the FOB and you essentially have a "proximity fob". That way, no more ripped pockets!

(I have never opened the FOB.. it might be even easier than that, using a hacksaw, to get the key off of the FOB.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just curious... how many other keys are on your key ring?

2, GM Denali key and house key. I don't carry the fob for the GMC since that is momma's car. I keep the most minimal key ring possible for comfort. The wife has the most god aweful keys rings you can imagine. Can't even get them in my pocket on the rare times I have to try.

As for complaining, just making conversation.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just keep the key in my car most of the time. Key is too bulky for the to carry it.
a friend of my dad's a while back used to break his key off in the ignition (when cars used to have that ignition switch that had the tabs and could be turned by hand) so he'd never loose his key

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.