Charger Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Only V6 American car that I know of that kicks the shit out of these cars is the Grand National / Turbo Buick Regal. A very good friend of mine has an '87 Turbo Buick Regal. All he's done is put a bigger turbo on it and he consistently runs high 11s low 12s with it. Mind you that's with drag radials, but still, for a car running with 1980s technology it's SICK how fast his car is.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Only V6 American car that I know of that kicks the shit out of these cars is the Grand National / Turbo Buick Regal. A very good friend of mine has an '87 Turbo Buick Regal. All he's done is put a bigger turbo on it and he consistently runs high 11s low 12s with it. Mind you that's with drag radials, but still, for a car running with 1980s technology it's SICK how fast his car is.
Yeah, but stock they weren't all that. (all though still very impressive)

1987 Buick Regal Grand National Turbo

Specifications:
Drive Type: Longitudinal, front engine, rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Four-speed automatic
Engine Type: Pushrod, two valves per cylinder
Displacement (cc/cu-in): 3,800/231
Redline (rpm): 5,200
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 245 @ 4,400
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 355 @ 2,800
Brake Type (front): Ventilated discs with single-piston sliding calipers
Brake Type (rear): Drums
Suspension Type (front): Independent double wishbones, coil springs
Suspension Type (rear): Live axle, coil springs
Tire Size (front): P245/60R15 (100S) M+S
Tire Size (rear): P245/60R15 (100s) M+S
Tire Brand: BF Goodrich
Tire Model: Radial T/A
Tire Type: All-season
As Tested Curb Weight (lb): 3,599

Test Results:

Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.3
0-45 (sec): 3.6
0-60 (sec): 5.5
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 5.1
0-75 (sec): 9.3
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 14.2 @ 95.2

The GNX (big dog) put out 276 horsepower and 360 pound-feet of torque. This netted the GNX a 0-to-60 time of 4.7 seconds and a 1/4-mile time of 13.5 seconds.

By comparison, the 2015 Charger V6 is around 15.0s in the 1/4-mile (although in a 3600 lb skin like the Buicks, they would have the same kind of times).

The Buick GN and GNX were waaay ahead of their time when it came to performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So first off your 100% right that the 5 grand of mods on both would put the v8 way up there whereas the 6 would still only be right at the stock 8. My issue was that the first page of posts is full of people saying the 6 isn't a muscle car. That the better upgrade would be to go buy a v8 etc. I get the 8 is better than the 6 every day hands down but that doesn't mean the 6 is a shitbox. And JCE you were right about the weights. Went back and looked and I was mistaken. What I did find out was that a good amount of the old school chargers with 8s were under the hp of the current 6 and had damn near pathetic response times in comparison. I know personally for me when I bought my 2015 AWD SXT Rallye charger I got it at around 4000 under msrp and they threw in some other perks that made it a great deal. For the base r/t it would have cost me 7-8 grand more and wouldn't have near the features or be AWD. The justification is what I used to upgrade my exhaust and add a CAI and tune. It's a hell of a car that even though it's a v6 puts a lot of more expensive cars to shame. The guy wanted to know how to make his car a better car, not get told why his 30,000 investment sucks and get disrespected.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
My wife has the 2014 300S with the pentastar and I have researched getting performance upgrades for a little more spirited driving around town. I came to the conclusion that for the amount of money spent, the few hp gained is not worth it. IMO the Diablo tuner gives you the ability to change a few parameters but the hp gains are not as advertised. The overkill motorsports tune that advertises 25 rwhp gains, well, it is your $425 for the tune, but for that kind of money, I would want to see some independent dyno results showing that huge gain.

I suggest if you really want to see what works and what does not on the Pentastar engine, check out the Challenger side and see what they are doing. They are not getting 25-30 rwhp gains from the bolt-ons mentioned here in this thread. If you want more power that your butt will feel IMO the supercharger (Tidalwave) is the only performance mod to get. Everything else is for sound and looks.

Fingers crossed that it will not be too expensive to add the turbo system coming in a few years for the Pentastar?

http://www.pentastars.com/engines/future.php

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The overkill motorsports tune that advertises 25 rwhp gains, well, it is your $425 for the tune, but for that kind of money, I would want to see some independent dyno results showing that huge gain.
people are easily dropping more than that with a CAI and exhaust. The tune would be more cost effective than those two combined.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Don't feel too bad Asher, if a 2015 AWD is something you really wanted (which I can totally appreciate cause I love the AWD) then it would not have been impossible to get the Hemi anyway. They don't make a 2015 AWD R/T except in the police cruiser.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
people are easily dropping more than that with a CAI and exhaust. The tune would be more cost effective than those two combined.
It would be nice to see gains like that if they are true. I would still like to see an independent dyno to see what the real gains are. Unfortunately, many aftermarket vendors will tell you that you will see huge gains so that you will purchase their product. That is how they make money. K&N CAI's are a good example.

http://www.knfilters.com/cold_air_intake/dodge_charger.aspx

Look at the approximate gains they are stating for the V6, 5.7L, 6.4L and the new 2015's. LOL People will purchase these CAI's thinking that they will get those gains in the real world.

Just to show what some vendors will promise, take the 5.7L Hemi. There are vendors that say you will get 25-40 rwhp with their ported and polished Eagle Heads. Well I have seen quite a few folks buy those heads and got very little gains even with a good Cam install. Maybe with a blower or stroker they will increase the hp but the Eagle heads flow so good they support up to 600 hp. Folks still buy them to compliment their Cam installation.

I owned Mustangs before I purchased the Daytona. I sold a 2012 GT 5.0 to get the four door and will never look back. But I have noticed after almost 3 years of modding in the MOPAR world, we are limited in the number of vendors and performance shops. The gains you see in the real world many times do not match what the vendor advertises (V6 or V8). With the Mustang, there were so many vendors and performance shops that they could not get away with advertising huge gains without being able to back them up on a dyno. Just how I see things and enough rambling.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Quoted for truth!

However, I've read that these gains gained by a tune are for the mid - higher rpm band only..nothing for the low end range.

·
Registered
291 Posts
These cars are just too heavy. If in your entire life you have ever sat at a red light waiting for it to turn green just so you could mash the throttle then it's a mistake to buy these cars with the V6 end of story.
Only if you want to smoke your tires. I take off from red lights, in sport mode, and it feels great. Don't care about burning out, 20" sport tires cost too much to be wasting them.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
So first off your 100% right that the 5 grand of mods on both would put the v8 way up there whereas the 6 would still only be right at the stock 8. My issue was that the first page of posts is full of people saying the 6 isn't a muscle car. That the better upgrade would be to go buy a v8 etc. I get the 8 is better than the 6 every day hands down but that doesn't mean the 6 is a shitbox. And JCE you were right about the weights. Went back and looked and I was mistaken. What I did find out was that a good amount of the old school chargers with 8s were under the hp of the current 6 and had damn near pathetic response times in comparison. I know personally for me when I bought my 2015 AWD SXT Rallye charger I got it at around 4000 under msrp and they threw in some other perks that made it a great deal. For the base r/t it would have cost me 7-8 grand more and wouldn't have near the features or be AWD. The justification is what I used to upgrade my exhaust and add a CAI and tune. It's a hell of a car that even though it's a v6 puts a lot of more expensive cars to shame. The guy wanted to know how to make his car a better car, not get told why his 30,000 investment sucks and get disrespected.
I feel you bro, I love my 3.6 with the 8spd. I definitely surprise some people with it. I also got a huge discount but with my $3,500 upside down from my '13 Focus getting an R/T would of put it way out of my price range. :( I just cannot wait it get my Bee in about 2~3 years. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have been wondering if it is possible to get a 2014 Dodge Charger SE to 320 to 330 HP without Supercharging of Turbocharging. I have bought a K&N 63 CAI (Cold Air Intake for those who don't know what CAI means) and it gave me a nice growl and around 8 HP but I have been looking for a little more. Now I see that CAI such as the aFe Momentum Cold Air Intake can give you up to 20 HP so im wondering if this is true and I should switch my CAI? Also what are some other ways I could gain HP because I am tired of people wanting to race me in Honda's and im afraid I will loose. I know the Dodge Charger has an engine lock at like 114 or 117mph or something like that so I plan on getting a Programmer. But right now im just kinda confused on what will give me the most horsepower because I feel like people always just recommend the name brands and thats fine but im questioning if those are really the best for what I want and I want a powerful car, not a family sedan but I want people to know that it is a powerful car. But at the same time I dont want to be just another punk teenager I want my car to sound good not obnoxious but a nice good car. Any help is great anyone post suggestions because im pretty damn tired of people busting on Dodge.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Well, I guess an otherwise blank reply quoting a nearly four-year-old post is one way to build your post count.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger SXT+ 100th Anniversary Edition
52 Posts
Now I miss my '87 Buick Grand National. Loved that V6! Talk about breaking loose or having serious G-Forces mold your body imprint into the seat! Those were the days. 0-60mph in 4.6 seconds.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah, but stock they weren't all that. (all though still very impressive)

1987 Buick Regal Grand National Turbo

Specifications:
Drive Type: Longitudinal, front engine, rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Four-speed automatic
Engine Type: Pushrod, two valves per cylinder
Displacement (cc/cu-in): 3,800/231
Redline (rpm): 5,200
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 245 @ 4,400
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 355 @ 2,800
Brake Type (front): Ventilated discs with single-piston sliding calipers
Brake Type (rear): Drums
Suspension Type (front): Independent double wishbones, coil springs
Suspension Type (rear): Live axle, coil springs
Tire Size (front): P245/60R15 (100S) M+S
Tire Size (rear): P245/60R15 (100s) M+S
Tire Brand: BF Goodrich
Tire Model: Radial T/A
Tire Type: All-season
As Tested Curb Weight (lb): 3,599

Test Results:

Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.3
0-45 (sec): 3.6
0-60 (sec): 5.5
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 5.1
0-75 (sec): 9.3
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 14.2 @ 95.2

The GNX (big dog) put out 276 horsepower and 360 pound-feet of torque. This netted the GNX a 0-to-60 time of 4.7 seconds and a 1/4-mile time of 13.5 seconds.

By comparison, the 2015 Charger V6 is around 15.0s in the 1/4-mile (although in a 3600 lb skin like the Buicks, they would have the same kind of times).

The Buick GN and GNX were waaay ahead of their time when it came to performance.
Hey there, no offense but where did you find this information on the '87 Buick Grand National? I owned one for 14yrs, original owner, and when it was stock the 0-60 times were 4.9 seconds. The GNx is correct at 4.7 seconds. After mods, mine was 4.6 seconds, maybe better on cold days. I loved that car! But hated when the turbos blew, which was common. I mean, you HAD to change that oil right at 2,000 miles. I went thru 9 turbos (all under warranty, thank goodness). I miss it, but it spent alot of time in the shop as it always needed very precise tuning. Should have kept it, obviously. Who knew people would be forking out $100,000 nowadays for a Buick!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Omgosh ... see told ya I was a newbie. Had no idea I already posted here, and mentioned the Grand National, nor did I see the other post made by Ddaddy. So sorry.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts