Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been wondering if it is possible to get a 2014 Dodge Charger SE to 320 to 330 HP without Supercharging of Turbocharging. I have bought a K&N 63 CAI (Cold Air Intake for those who don't know what CAI means) and it gave me a nice growl and around 8 HP but I have been looking for a little more. Now I see that CAI such as the aFe Momentum Cold Air Intake can give you up to 20 HP so im wondering if this is true and I should switch my CAI? Also what are some other ways I could gain HP because I am tired of people wanting to race me in Honda's and im afraid I will loose. I know the Dodge Charger has an engine lock at like 114 or 117mph or something like that so I plan on getting a Programmer. But right now im just kinda confused on what will give me the most horsepower because I feel like people always just recommend the name brands and thats fine but im questioning if those are really the best for what I want and I want a powerful car, not a family sedan but I want people to know that it is a powerful car. But at the same time I dont want to be just another punk teenager I want my car to sound good not obnoxious but a nice good car. Any help is great anyone post suggestions because im pretty damn tired of people busting on Dodge.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
First of all, a V-6 Charger is NOT a muscle car, it is way to big/heavy, it is just a fun to drive family car. If you want a muscle car, then you need the hemi V-8.

With a true dual exhaust, CAI, and Diablo tuner I was able to get 310 HP...not much more is available without turbo/super charging.

The tuner will change the way the cars drives, especially at part throttle (more fun) but in my case it turned out to make it a bit slower: .2 seconds slower to 60 mph, and .5 seconds slower in the quarter.

To get the most out of the tuner you will have to data log and then get a custom tune, which I haven't bothered with, as the tuner was causing my transmission to do a weird double shift in 1st gear and throw code 0741 (torque converter) when I used cruise control in the mountains. I deleted the tune and the transmission has been behaving like it should.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Pretty much what krautmaster said, ~310hp is the ceiling. I will say with tuner, CAI, and true dual exhaust you will notice a much more aggressive beast vs stock. I will say there are only 2 Honda's you'll lose too; S2000 & an NSX. Otherwise don't worry about them or anything else. Just enjoy driving the best V6 sedan that doesn't have a Mercedes, Porsche, or Audi badge. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
The 300+ horsepower Charger V6 is a very enjoyable family car. It has more get up and go than most of it's competitors. It is not a muscle car, however.

My wife's 2014 charger RT as a lot more get up and go and beautiful lines. It is a genuine musclecar with about 370 hp.

My 2013 470 hp charger SRT eight, which I traded in on a 2015 SRT Challenger was an absolute brute of the musclecar. It absolutely kicked azzz!

My 2015 485 HP Challenger SRT with eight speed automatic transmission is so fast, so powerful and so awesome it is unbelievable. I have nicknamed it The Beast!

Dodge is making some of the greatest muscle cars on the planet. A true musclecar, however, really needs a hemi. >:)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah, my Rallye already has a pretty free-flowing dual exhaust, might do some work on it for a better sound at some point, and looking at a K&N CAI on amazon that costs half as much as the Mopar one and still uses a dry media filter.

Other than that and a tune, I don't think there's much more that can be done. I agree with the 310 ceiling, if you're lucky. You might be able to program the transmission for faster/higher shifts, but not much more you can get out of this motor. They did a pretty good job honestly of wringing every last bit of power and efficiency they could out of it, mainly for gas mileage I think.

I still find it amusing that only 10 years ago, the Mustang GT was doing 300 horse with it's 4.6, and the muscle cars of yore's net numbers, even on some of the performance engines, were usually lower with heavier cars...though the grunty torque just isn't there with the Pentastar...

Give up...go with the Supercharger...so I know if it's worth it...:D...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have bought a K&N 63 CAI (Cold Air Intake for those who don't know what CAI means) and it gave me a nice growl and around 8 HP but I have been looking for a little more. Now I see that CAI such as the aFe Momentum Cold Air Intake can give you up to 20 HP so im wondering if this is true and I should switch my CAI?.
NO intake is going to give you 20 extra hp. Doubt you got 8 from your K&N. That's what the manufactures claim, but not true numbers.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Stock throttle body will flow way more air than the 3.6 can pull in, even with a supercharger..they are a waste of $$. The exhaust manifold is cast into the head on the Pentastar (and the new V-6 GM is making) so there are no headers at all, period.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BBK is designing headers that will work with tge 3.6 right now. You can break it loose and mount the headers with a few extra parts they are doing it right now.

And the ported throttle body will definitely add some power. About 10 hp

Diablo Sports tunes are adding 15+ hp

Etc.

Ive done my research and i am doing these upgrades myself. So if it dont work out ill let ya know.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
...And the ported throttle body will definitely add some power. About 10 hp
No. It won't. It simply can't. The laws of Physics don't make it possible.

When the OEM TB flows more than the engine can pull, porting it simply cannot change anything.

The DS tunes aren't adding 15+ HP either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So do these things work or not?

Ok guys now I'm starting to get confused because I am getting mixed signals that some mods work and that they also don't work. I am going to get the tuner but I need to know if mods like a Ported Throttle Body or throttle body spacer actually do anything. Please help:serious:

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Ok guys now I'm starting to get confused because I am getting mixed signals that some mods work and that they also don't work. I am going to get the tuner but I need to know if mods like a Ported Throttle Body or throttle body spacer actually do anything. Please help:serious:

Neither a ported TB or TB spacer will do anything at all...except make your wallet lighter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Suck it V6 haters- 400+Hp 2015 charger sxt

So I get the whole v6 vs v8 stuff but saying it's not possible is bullshit.

http://www.tidalwavesupercharger.com/

It's pricy but you can easily start out running a lot of 5.7 v8s and get 400-423 at the wheels with a upgrade kit. It's a chunk of change and some work but the 6 in there is ridiculously limited by dodge and people who will default to the bs of it's not worth it to buy a 6 speed muscle car.

It's a fact that the v6s today can easily smoke a good amount of old American muscle 8s due to weight and advancement in tech design. You own a muscle car. It may not have a badge with a bee on it but it's not something to be ashamed of to own a 6.

How many of your know it all 8's could run with this 6?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
~$5,000 for that supercharger kit is indeed a huge chunk of change and may be out of the average budget just looking for bolt-ons. For that $5K+ I know I'd personally rather trade my V6 with that money and have a V8 rumble. And if the Pentastar 3.6 is so limited by Dodge as you say then why are there no real world people on here with results sans forced induction to the contrary?

I do believe you are a bit off base saying 60's and 70's era muscle cars were somehow much heavier than our Chargers/Challengers. That's just not true and if I wasn't on a phone I would post specs to that effect. Power numbers may have been calculated differently which inflated them but the weight wasn't as high as is assumed. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
I still find it amusing that only 10 years ago, the Mustang GT was doing 300 horse with it's 4.6, and the muscle cars of yore's net numbers, even on some of the performance engines, were usually lower with heavier cars...though the grunty torque just isn't there with the Pentastar...

Give up...go with the Supercharger...so I know if it's worth it...:D...
My stock '88 5.0 Mustang LX only had 225 HP and would still have beat the V6 Charger. Why? Because it had 300 ft/lbs of torque, a 3.08 final drive with a 5 speed manual transmission, and only weighed 3000 lbs.

I ran 14.8 second 1/4 mile with it at the track on more than one occasion.

These cars are just too heavy. If in your entire life you have ever sat at a red light waiting for it to turn green just so you could mash the throttle then it's a mistake to buy these cars with the V6 end of story.

I bought a 2010 with the Hemi because I couldn't afford a new one with the Hemi. No regrets, I would do it again tomorrow. The Hemi is SOOO worth it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well with the 8-speed, 2.62 rear axle, final drive doesn't get close to 3.08 till it gets to 5th gear (3.38). First gear has a ridiculous 12.31 final drive! Just means she revs higher...torque is more satisfying but there's more than enough to satisfy at at red light (and trust me, I've done it multiple times...) :)

You are right about them being heavy beasts...and my next one will definitely have a V8...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well with the 8-speed, 2.62 rear axle, final drive doesn't get close to 3.08 till it gets to 5th gear (3.38). First gear has a ridiculous 12.31 final drive! Just means she revs higher...torque is more satisfying but there's more than enough to satisfy at at red light (and trust me, I've done it multiple times...) :)

You are right about them being heavy beasts...and my next one will definitely have a V8...
My bad, ya 3.08 was just the diff ratio on some of the old Fox Body Mustangs. If you include 1st gear which was 3.35 the final drive in 1st would have been 10.3 to 1 which is still pretty short.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
So I get the whole v6 vs v8 stuff but saying it's not possible is bullshit.

No one said you can't get high HP out of a V6, they just said it's easier, more cost effective and has better resale value to buy a factory V8

It's pricy but you can easily start out running a lot of 5.7 v8s and get 400-423 at the wheels with a upgrade kit. It's a chunk of change and some work but the 6 in there is ridiculously limited by dodge and people who will default to the bs of it's not worth it to buy a 6 speed muscle car.

6 speed muscle car? I thought we were talking about the number of cylinders. BTW, no Charger is available with a 6 speed. (yeah, I know you probably meant 6 cyl, but that isn't what you posted)

It's a fact that the v6s today can easily smoke a good amount of old American muscle 8s due to weight and advancement in tech design. You own a muscle car. It may not have a badge with a bee on it but it's not something to be ashamed of to own a 6.

Not stock they can't and if I put a $5k supercharger on my SRT, no V6 with one will ever get near me. Don't confuse modded vs. stock for being the same as stock vs. stock.

How many of your know it all 8's could run with this 6?

See above, no V6 could run with an V8 with the same mods...ever.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts