Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm hoping someone has seen this fault before. I have a 2006 Dodge Charger RT (5.7L V8) - it is still in warranty as I bought a 5yr extended warranty for it.

The fault is this:

I start the car as normal and then within 1-2 minutes randomly (sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't) the red/orange lights on the instrument cluster light up, the dashboard beeps and all 4 needles drop to zero (the engine does not stop, it behaves normally). After the short beep ends the red/orange lights go off and the 4 needles go back to normal. Sometimes the car can do this 2 or 3 times in succession. If it happens at night, the auto-headlights go off - yes, if I'm driving as normal at any speed at night, the headlights will just turn off, it can be a little scary sometimes! I then turn the lights to manual and all is OK.

I've tried to video the whole experience but I've not been lucky enough to catch it happening unless I've been driving.

The closest video I can find is at the location below on YouTube. Basically, click through to about 30sec after the guy starts the engine you can hear the beep, you see the needles drops to zero and the instrument lights flash on all at the same time. The only exception to his video is that my fault only happens when the engine is started and when it is running there are no error lights on the dashboard at all (on his video, the engine management light stays on, this does not happen on my car)

Any ideas anyone?....I'm keen to get it fixed as it seems to be getting more frequent.

Thank you very much for any help
OrangeRT

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi there

my friend i see this thing in my friend car

and this problem was from the battry the dead battry can cause this thing the dashboard lights and the beeb sound still coming on with the gagues look like it's want to move just with throtle when you push the throtle the gagues will move

so i think it's the battry problem gange it and try :bigthumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery issue...

Thanks very much Al-Dabbagh, I'll get the battery replaced. I live in the UAE and haven't had the battery changed in 3yrs......so maybe the 50oC heat in summer has finally caused the battery to fail. :)

I'll try it - thank you
OrangeRT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks very much Al-Dabbagh, I'll get the battery replaced. I live in the UAE and haven't had the battery changed in 3yrs......so maybe the 50oC heat in summer has finally caused the battery to fail. :)

I'll try it - thank you
OrangeRT
Hello OrangeRT - did you get this problem resolved? I'm curious to know because I've been having a similar issue. The only difference is that my gauges aren't affected like yours but from time to time my gauge cluster lights along with my headlights and foglights will flicker on and off randomly but only when I first start up and drive my vehicle. After 5 to 10 minutes of driving the flickering goes away and everything operates as they should.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi HemiThunder - not fixed as yet, my car is booked into the dealer on Monday 08-Apr......but then I'm working away for a week, I should hopefully get it back 14-Apr. I'll update this thread soon after with the outcome.

Incidentally, my fault also only happens when the car is cold (despite the fact I live in the dessert and right now it is 34oC). And it will only happen when it is idling cold. hopefully it is the battery.

I'll let you know

OrangeRT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - so here's an update; I got the car back on Tuesday (it was delayed because it needed AC parts) - anyway; the battery did not need to be changed but the Dodge garage said they found mis-seated modules in the electric box. The guy couldn't explain any more - but I guess he was saying the technician reseated connectors, modules etc near the car's CPU.

The good news is: the fault has not happened since picking the car up on Tuesday evening. The fault was getting worse; it was happening twice daily - so hopefully the connector/module reseat has worked.

I'll update in a week or so.......

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
:bigthumb:hi my friend
i told you my friend is the same thing happen to him he take the car to the dealer and he dont get any thing but ....
by the chance we replace the battry with another car the battry was in good condition and the problem is gone

so you will not lose any thing if you replace the battry by another one just to test it so try this and told us if you get any good news

iam living in jordan not far away from you :bigthumb::D

you have to take care from the amper of the battry you will put it it should be the same amper and the same numbers of voltage and another things

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been having the same thing with my '06 but I would be driving it, the gauge cluster will go out, engine still running. Doesn't happen all the time.

I also have a loud solenoid clicking sound in the dash that lasts about 30 seconds after engine startup.
Does anybody know what that is???

B~

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm currently having the same issue OrangeRT. He couldn't have described it any better! I went to the dealership where they billed me for $300 to replace a sensor in the steering wheel (?). Well, and added the diagnostic fee of $99. No change. It still happens AND only when it super cold out. Odd. The dealership has advised me to drive it straight to them when it happens and not to turn it off. How inconvenient being that I'm usually headed to work or an appt. Thanks for the info! I will take this with me to the dealership!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm currently having the same issue OrangeRT. He couldn't have described it any better! I went to the dealership where they billed me for $300 to replace a sensor in the steering wheel (?). Well, and added the diagnostic fee of $99. No change. It still happens AND only when it super cold out. Odd. The dealership has advised me to drive it straight to them when it happens and not to turn it off. How inconvenient being that I'm usually headed to work or an appt. Thanks for the info! I will take this with me to the dealership!

I have this problem too. I have a 2006 rt. It happened to me twice so far, but it only happens when it's extremely cold outside.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Batteries ppl, batteries, seems we are all working with 06s-08s in this thread. Have your battery checked! Most cars do this exact thing when batteries need changed!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine does the same thing but if I wiggle the key it stops. I am guessing that the ignition switch contacts are getting a little worn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same issue here!!!

Hello OrangeRT - did you get this problem resolved? I'm curious to know because I've been having a similar issue. The only difference is that my gauges aren't affected like yours but from time to time my gauge cluster lights along with my headlights and foglights will flicker on and off randomly but only when I first start up and drive my vehicle. After 5 to 10 minutes of driving the flickering goes away and everything operates as they should.
Did you find a resolution for your issue? Mine just started the same thing as yours about two weeks ago...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My old 06 sxt charger did the same the headlights will turn off and turn back on and so would my cluster. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the light switch. I replaced it and it never happened again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds good. I just bought a new switch and replaced it today, so far it has been working.

·
Registered
505 Posts
this sucks...

i am having the same problem happening to me now. it started couple weeks ago during a cold start, but in a hot weather. turn the key to ON position, which usually would do the normal 6 chimes and computer cycles through all the dash icones; but instead, i get no chime, and all the icons would flash like it's the encounter of the third kind, which really freaks me out. and if i proceed to turn the engine on from there, i will then hear the 6 chimes, but the icons continue to flash like crazy. the only way to get rid of it is to pull over and turn the car off and restart again.

so far on all the threads i've read related to this problem, people have said it ranges from battery short-out, to dash cluster wiring harness needs replacement, headlight switch, or some moduel plugs. it doesn't seem like there's a definitive solution and no one knows the cause of the problem for sure.

i understand the car is old, 8 years now, but this is freaky, and needs to be brought to the attention of Fiat. it could be dangerous.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I'm having the exact Same issue. Los of auto lights. All gauges go dead. Loss of hvac. All warning lights flash on. It can happen minutes after start up or 30. Hot or cold. Usually it will happen a couple times in a five minute period. It is getting progressively worse. And new ideas? I thought perhaps a loose contact at the bcm but the radio works during this.
Yes I'm back. Yes I still have my bam bam. 140k miles

·
Registered
648 Posts
Had the same issue on my 06 SRT. Dealer tech found a diode array under the rear fuse box that supplies power to all modules rear of the firewall had a loose connection. Repaired the connection, problem gone. Mine would be worse over rough roads and during cold weather, gauges all drop to zero, steering wheel controls dead, turn signals stop working, all dash lights come on(no chime tho).
He said the original factory connection was crimped, and over time with vibration had worked loose, causing intermittent power intruptions to the HVAC, steering control module(horn, wipers, cruise, turn signals) and the heated seats.
Took him about 4 hours to pin down the problem, about another 45 minutes or so to repair. Been good for 3 months or so now.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Now that issue that sounds like it makes the most sense. Sometimes a hard bump will trigger it. Guess I will be looking in the trunk soon. Thanks so much

·
Registered
648 Posts
Now that issue that sounds like it makes the most sense. Sometimes a hard bump will trigger it. Guess I will be looking in the trunk soon. Thanks so much
The tech didn't say exactly where the diodes were, just "under" the fuse box.

Hey, glad to help.
So many on here has helped me with advice and tips, it's nice to be able to pay some of it back to a fellow Charger-lover.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts